PDA

View Full Version : Looking for AT hikers

Pete Broehl
09-18-2008, 20:22
In May, while section hiking north of Hot Springs,N.C., I met 3 oriential women. 2 of them were thru hiking. A mother and her 11 year old daughter (trail name "happy feet". If anyone knows, I would like to know how far they made it. Also does anyone know how old was the youngest hiker to thru hike the AT. Thanks Pokey Pete

karoberts
09-18-2008, 20:51
Dude, where you been? "Oriental" is totally passe!

buff_jeff
09-18-2008, 21:11
I caught up to them in Daleville and that was the last I saw of them.

Lugnut
09-18-2008, 21:29
Dude, where you been? "Oriental" is totally passe!

So, what is the proper PC term for someone from the orient?

fancyfeet
09-18-2008, 21:29
Pokey Pete,

Two boys, age 6 have completed thruhikes. The youngest girl was 8. The girl and one of the boys (her brother) were part of the "Idaho Four" in 2002. See info about these and other interesting thruhiker stats here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851151/

CherrypieScout
09-18-2008, 21:42
They were in SNP in late July

Dirigo
09-19-2008, 15:39
They were at the Carl Newhall Shelter when I was hiking north in Aug. They were heading south.

Dirigo

fancyfeet
09-21-2008, 22:54
So, what is the proper PC term for someone from the orient?

These days it's called Asia...so "Asian" would be appropriate. ;)

spanky
12-10-2008, 14:19
Pokey Pete,

Two boys, age 6 have completed thruhikes. The youngest girl was 8. The girl and one of the boys (her brother) were part of the "Idaho Four" in 2002. See info about these and other interesting thruhiker stats here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851151/

I hiked with them in 2002 - what a cool family that was! I always looked forward to reading their trail journal entries because of the artwork they'd draw depicting their family's latest ordeals on the trail.

Spanky

buckwheat
12-10-2008, 16:55
These days it's called Asia...so "Asian" would be appropriate. ;)

What's the difference?

Oriental means "from the Orient" or "from the East."
Asian means "from the Continent of Asia."
American means "from either the continent of North or South America."

There is no distinction to be made - both terms refer to a person by where they are from. If you object to calling someone "Oriental" you should also object to calling someone "Asian." Neither term is derogatory, nor ever has been.

shoe
12-10-2008, 23:29
In May, while section hiking north of Hot Springs,N.C., I met 3 oriential women. 2 of them were thru hiking. A mother and her 11 year old daughter (trail name "happy feet". If anyone knows, I would like to know how far they made it. Also does anyone know how old was the youngest hiker to thru hike the AT. Thanks Pokey Pete

I know they made it to Harper's Ferry and then they flipped to Katahdin to hike south. I spent the night at one of the shelters in the 100 mile wilderness with them. Can't remember which shelter...Carl Newhall or the one after I think. (this was in the beginning of August)

It was Carl Newhall, I just checked my trailjournal

shoe
12-10-2008, 23:31
Wow if I would have read through all the posts I would have seen that my hiking partner Dirigo had already answered

cooter
12-11-2008, 11:07
Oriental refers to inadement objects such as rugs or a vase. For whatever reason, Asians do go offended when you call them Oriental. I think people have the choice of determining what they should be called. If someone from Asian wants to be called Asian, and not Oriental, then I'll call them Asian.

mudhead
12-11-2008, 13:33
Agree. Babes with black hair works, depending where you are at the time.

fiddlehead
12-11-2008, 14:54
Oriental refers to inadement objects such as rugs or a vase. For whatever reason, Asians do go offended when you call them Oriental. I think people have the choice of determining what they should be called. If someone from Asian wants to be called Asian, and not Oriental, then I'll call them Asian.

I guess it depends on the person.
My wife would be fine with either.
She (as most Orientals are), is a Buddhist and is very humble.

The ones that would be offended perhaps have grown up in the states or something.???

Lotus08
12-12-2008, 11:27
Saw them in Stratton ME in late August.

Pony
12-12-2008, 12:28
Asian is the prefered nomenclature. Haven't you ever seen The Big Lebowski?

aframe
12-13-2008, 10:16
I was caretaking at Nauman in the whites when they came through- think it was late september or early october.

Pokey2006
12-15-2008, 03:09
How do we report jokers like this, anyhow? Is there a way to flag it?

The Old Fhart
12-15-2008, 07:55
"How do we report jokers like this, anyhow? Is there a way to flag it?"To report these spammers click on the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post, just to the right of the post number. I have done that for this clown. I'm sure they will be back again.:mad:

Lone Wolf
12-15-2008, 09:18
so what's the point of reportin'? the mods will see them eventually. just ignore 'em

Farr Away
12-15-2008, 11:09
Yes, if the forum has (a) moderator(s), the spam will likely be seen the next time they check in to WB. If you report it, the mod gets an email and knows that they need to log in ASAP to address the problem.

If the forum doesn't have a moderator and you don't report it, the spammer won't get caught until he posts in a forum that does (or a mod or admin happens to see the post).

We do appreciate the heads-up reporting posts provides.

Thanks,
-FA

rcli4
12-15-2008, 15:08
This stuff is serious!!! Post that calls an oriental an oriental should be taken down as soon as possible. I for one apprieciate the folks that have no life, so the moderate trivial drivel like this. Thank You for pushing the Red Triangle of Life.

Clyde

Peanut
12-19-2008, 23:48
I saw them in Rangely at Gull Pond Lodge, but, and I don't remember where I got the info, I think I heard about them somewhere in the PA/MD/Harpers Ferry area, closing in on completion. Great people!