PDA

View Full Version : Street walkin'?

WetBottom
09-18-2008, 21:17
I was wondering if anyone ever walks to their hiking destination without taking their car?

I was sitting here thinking about trying out my gear, and planning out my hike. Then I thought about trying out my gear at the closest campground I know of... then I thought "maybe I can walk there?"

I had friends a few years ago who were serious bikers. And I remember thinking they were crazy when they rode their bikes on a two day trip to their destination when it was only a three hour drive. But now that I'm wiser... I think it wasn't the destination they were after... it was the trip.

I'm hoping my backpack can give me freedom.

rafe
09-18-2008, 21:29
On my section hike last year (Lehigh Gap, PA to southern VA) hike the closest I could get to the trail by Public T was Slatington PA. So my 587 mile section hike started with a three mile walk to the trailhead, from Slatington. I've done lots of section hikes where the hike was either preceded or followed by a bike ride on roads "parallel" to the hike itself. Several of my section hikes have involved public transportation in one way or another.

WetBottom
09-18-2008, 21:30
Can you bike with a big pack on, or do you strap some of it to the bike... or?

rafe
09-18-2008, 21:32
Can you bike with a big pack on, or do you strap some of it to the bike... or?

No, I leave the "big" pack in the woods, near the trailhead.

WetBottom
09-18-2008, 21:45
I just really like walking. I am excited to have a pack full of things that allow me to just get up and go.

Now, if only I had a schedule which allowed that...

Blissful
09-18-2008, 22:57
For me walking on a hard surfaced road with a backpack is tough on my feet and legs. I tried to stay in the dirt of the shoulder whenever I had to walk to a town, but it still hurt.

Bare Bear
09-19-2008, 00:28
When I first thought I would do the Florida Trail then the Pinhoti to the AT it seemed like a good idea. Then I met THE SOBO hiker on the whole FT and he said the 450 miles from Alabama to FL were mostly really bad road walk and he would not wish it on anyone so I ended up riding to Springer for the start of the AT.
I hate road walks.................

Yahtzee
09-19-2008, 00:32
Abner Serd in 1999 walked from Arizona via Mexico to get to Springer.