PDA

View Full Version : Post Gathering section hike proposal

Old Hillwalker
09-19-2008, 12:46
Toying with the idea of driving my car to Harper's Ferry, then hitching a ride with friends to the Gathering. After the Gathering, catch a ride to Damascus and then walking the AT back to Harper's Ferry. Thus getting in Virginia as a 535 (or so) mile section hike. Should be back in HF late November I should think.

What can I expect for weather up in the highlands at that time? I should think that the SNP facilities will still be open for Leaf Peepers. Any problems that I should be aware of? Here in New Hampshire all kinds of problems pop up that time of year. But down there?

rafe
09-20-2008, 00:08
Hillwalker, hope you have a good hike. I can't offer a lot of advice, except to suggest that you'll have cool nights, even at the start of the hike. Exactly 1 year ago in southern Virginia, I was seeing night time lows in the mid-to-low 40s. Beautiful daytime temperatures, though. A lot of layering-up and layering-down.

Lyle
09-20-2008, 10:19
I have limited experience, but what I had was varied. I hiked most of SNP in Mid November. Started out with great weather, sunny days, warm temps, hiking without shirts. By the end of the trip, a major storm blew in and we went from those warm temps to heavy rain, sleet, freezing rain, snow and wind.

Spent two nights at Gravel Spring Hut waiting out the storm. When I arrived at the hut, was nice enough that I washed my hair. By night fall, trees were falling around the shelter due to heavy ice load.

Once the storm quit, there were a couple of feet of snow, the tree branches were bent so low to the ground that we could not hike the trail except at a crouch. Ended up hiking the Skyline drive which was closed to traffic for the next three days due to drifts up to 13 ft high.

Spent one cold night at Tom Floyde Wayside, then hiked out the following morning in the most beautiful wonderland I've ever seen. The sun was shining brightly and all the trees were glistening in their ice coating. Beautiful hike out to Front Royale.

Guess what I'm saying is that you need to expect most anything. While my experience was probably the extreme, It can't be ruled out. I will say this was one of my most memorable short hikes.

Have fun.