PDA

View Full Version : Roan or Rogers?

Patco
03-15-2004, 00:05
Which is your favorite park and why? Mount Rogers National Recreation Area or Roan Mountain (peak area, not the state park down below)?
:sun

waldo
03-15-2004, 01:11
roan mt range is absolutely incredible!!!!!

Jaybird
03-15-2004, 10:40
Which is your favorite park and why? Mount Rogers National Recreation Area or Roan Mountain (peak area, not the state park down below)? :sun

Yo Patco:

Roan Mountain is my favorite! I guess it has sentimental value attached to it for me....since this was the first point (Carver's Gap) that i ever stood on the Appalachian Trail!

I visit the same place & day-hike Roan every Nov. & Dec. :D

Brushy Sage
03-15-2004, 11:03
If the balds north of Roan are put into the picture, then I consider Rogers and Roan about equal in terms of scenic beauty, although even as I write this I can think of features that one has over the other. The tip top of Roan probably offers more scenic beauty, because there is no view from the top of Rogers. If challenge is a consideration, then I maintain that hiking northward up Roan Mountain takes the prize. If choosing between Roan bald's long-horn cattle and Greyson Highlands ponies, I like the ponies better.

Blue Jay
03-15-2004, 11:27
This is too hard a question. I'll have to do them both many more times and get back to you.

bobgessner57
03-15-2004, 14:45
The scenic qualities of each make them both crown jewels. Mt Rogers area is easier to solo hike without shuttles due to the network of trails that allow for an almost infinite number of loop trips back to your car. Some of the trails are lightly used and you can have complete solitude and some good scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities by looping off the AT. I am thinking in particular of the trail that leaves the AT at Scales and goes up and crosses First, Second, and Third Mountains and brings you back around to the AT near the shelter in Grayson Highlands State Park (Wise Shelter?). Some of the side trails are poorly marked so have a good map and compass to confirm your sense of place.

I love the peak of Rogers- it offers a nice counterpoint to all the open land on Whitetop, Wilburn Ridge, etc. To me the side trip is a pleasant side trip to the northwoods.