PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Baltor 70 pack...

Yukon
09-20-2008, 07:51
Anyone got this pack? I have been looking at new packs and I think this is the one I want, anyone have some opinions?

kayak karl
09-20-2008, 08:33
Anyone got this pack? I have been looking at new packs and I think this is the one I want, anyone have some opinions?
i have the REI Mars (very similar in style) it is 5500 cu. in. and 6 lbs. i like it , but way too heavy. i learned alot from using it. i need to go alot lighter. am looking at http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/GO9120 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GO9120) http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm and http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Gearskins/gearskin.html (http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Gearskins/gearskin.html)
don't make the same mistake i did. i now have all my gear for a winter hike. NOW i can get the RIGHT pack.

Yukon
09-20-2008, 19:17
Thanks for the tips kayak :)

Anyone else?

greentick
09-21-2008, 01:56

Anyone else?

One of my hiking buddies has that pack and likes it for its durable construction and comfort. But 6# has him thinking of going lighter.

If that is the volume you want, give thought to the ULA Catalyst.
If you can pare down to 3750CI look at the ULA Circuit.

I have a couple of Gregory pack and like their solid construction. But now I use ULA. Save yourself some bucks.

kayak karl
09-21-2008, 08:13

Anyone else?

BACKPACKER 2008 Gear Guide PM 40063752 March 2008: has lists of packs, tents, shoes and bags to compare weight and $. can't find it on line. maybe a friend has a copy.

A-Train
09-21-2008, 11:48

FWIW, I used to sell tons of these packs when I worked outdoor retail. I much prefer the fit of Gregory over Osprey and Arcteryx, and the price is much better. Most guys who wanted a midsize pack walked out with a Baltoro or Triconi.

While I agree about the ULA recommendation and highly value Brian's products, a Gregory pack is hands down more durable and stronger than a Catalyst. I've used both for many a miles.

For weight, you can't go wrong with ULA.

spdtrpl
09-21-2008, 12:13
There is a design flaw in the new Baltoro suspension system. I had to have two replaced on my thru hike and eventually had to change packs altogether. The problem was admitted to me by Gregory's customer service rep but I have not seen any mention of it online or anywhere else. If you look at the webbing that connects the stay to the hip belt, it is secured by a single run of stitching. Both of my packs failed at the stitching rendering the hip belt useless. I would steer clear of the Baltoro 70 until they correct the problem.

Montana Mac
09-21-2008, 12:22
I looked at a Baltro and it was a very comfortable pack and I could have purchased a new "last year " model very cheap. The weight is what made me not buy it - I went for the Osprey Atmos instead. Time will tell if this was the right decision.

sbennett
09-21-2008, 14:28
I have the Triconi 60, which is a smaller version of the Baltoro, and I have test driven the Baltoro on one overnight trip. I found very comfortable, which excellent cushioning on the shoulder straps and hip belt. It carries a lot of weight (i.e. upwards of 50 lbs), and is, capacity-wise, a pretty large pack for these days. In terms of the Baltoro, I also enjoyed the numerous pockets, would could be quite useful if you're into organization and such. The hipbelt pockets are also a nice touch as Gregory had sort of ignored this idea until very recently.

The few complaints I had about this pack are it's weight, and it was way bigger than I needed it to be. I can really fit just about every item of gear that I own inside of the Baltoro and I quickly decided it was more than I needed. I purchased the Triconi, which is 10 liters smaller, for longer trips in colder temps or trips with my girlfriend where I need to carry a bit more. I took it up to Shenandoah in August for 4 days and found it to be a very good pack but still a bit heavy. If I'm doing big miles, instead of a relaxing type journey, I think I'll still opt to use my GoLite Jam2.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know!

dudeijuststarted
09-21-2008, 14:41
3 of us have Baltoro 70's. They ride like a Cadillac. I bought mine for $270 and 2 weeks later it went down to about $210 at REI. I've got dozens of miles on it and its coming back out with me in 2 weeks, can't wait!!!!!

Yukon
09-21-2008, 18:26
I'm a pretty tall guy (6'-6") so the size of the pack really isn't an issue. I have stopped at a couple EMS stores and they haven't had it in stock, so I need to find a place where I can try it on. I'm really trying to choose between this pack or maybe an Osprey. I noticed in the EMS store that there was some type of forming machine for the Osprey packs? Also, can someone tell me if EMS is a good outfitter to deal with or would it be better to go to REI? Thanks a million people!!

kayak karl
09-21-2008, 18:36
I'm a pretty tall guy (6'-6") so the size of the pack really isn't an issue. I have stopped at a couple EMS stores and they haven't had it in stock, so I need to find a place where I can try it on. I'm really trying to choose between this pack or maybe an Osprey. I noticed in the EMS store that there was some type of forming machine for the Osprey packs? Also, can someone tell me if EMS is a good outfitter to deal with or would it be better to go to REI? Thanks a million people!!
take your gear with you. you will be glad you did. pack the pack then walk around the store with it. it is the BEST test. buy a pack, have fun. It's not the last pack you will buy:D

sbennett
09-21-2008, 23:42

I've never dealt with EMS but I know REI's guarantee is pretty nice when it comes to buying packs. If you get a Baltoro from them and take it out and don't like it, then you can take it right back. It's pretty nice.

Some of the Osprey's are nice. I think you'd be looking at an Aether 70 for something comparable. It won't carry as much weight-wise but it does weight less. Some people like Osprey, some people like Gregory. Try them both on and see what fits the best. You are correct that people can mold an Osprey hipbelt, but the Gregory hipbelt is curved very nicely and fits perfect.

stranger
09-22-2008, 01:16
I would highly recommend anything from Gregory, there isn't much they've done over the years that hasn't been great (but they've always been a little heavy). Osprey is a great pack too, but be aware that the current Aether series make alot of noise once they are broken in, I talked to about 15 different hikers this year who had them and we all had frustrations with the noise level of our Aether packs. I suspect it's the webbing from the upper load stabilizer rubbing against the nylon casing on the shoulder harness.

ULA makes good stuff, and it's well thought out - but the Catalyst simply doesn't compare to Gregory or Osprey in terms of fit, suspension or overall design. However it's lighter, so if it fits you well and you like the way it feels it may be a good way to go. Although ULA needs some work in my view, they make a pretty good pack for an ultra-light company.

greentick
09-22-2008, 02:10
ULA makes good stuff, and it's well thought out - but the Catalyst simply doesn't compare to Gregory or Osprey in terms of fit, suspension or overall design. However it's lighter, so if it fits you well and you like the way it feels it may be a good way to go. Although ULA needs some work in my view, they make a pretty good pack for an ultra-light company.

My Gregorys are Gpack and Keeler(the generation before the Baltoro). The Gpack is decent but after a few hikes pushing its recommended weight limit it started showing some wear. The Keeler rides like a caddy (as previously mentioned) but is almost overfeatured and heavy. Bombproof, yes. Except for a water bottle pocket tearing (more due to a sewing oops than a design flaw) it is in about new condition.

I own a ULA Circuit and Relay. I love them both. They are very well thought out packs IMO. My "beginning of a 4 day hike with a full load of water" weight is about 23-24 pounds (including the Circuit). Plus they are made in the USA, not china or vietnam in a factory that makes several different pack companies products.

I guess the difference would be dependent on what kind of weight you are carrying. If you only have 25lbs of stuff, it just doesn't make good sense to put it in a 6lb pack. If you have 50lbs of stuff, you probably shouldn't buy a lightweight pack, your shoulders will thank you and you won't have to deal with a catastrophic decompensation at an inopportune time.

If you do go with a big name choice, I will recommend REI as if you use the pack and just can't make it work for you they will not hassle you for returning it.

Definately take all your stuff to the store to try it on. This will also give you a better idea of what kind of volume you truly need. The more extra space you have the greater temptation to bring stuff you "might need."

Good luck.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-22-2008, 08:10
Pretty good idea to buy packs from an outfitter rather than on line assuming they know how to fit it and "bend" the frame sheet to the curve of your back. REI is the best at return/warranty issues pretty much hands down.

Yukon
09-22-2008, 08:13
The closest REI to me is 86 miles away, I hope it's worth the trip :-?

Yukon
09-22-2008, 08:15
Pretty good idea to buy packs from an outfitter rather than on line assuming they know how to fit it and "bend" the frame sheet to the curve of your back. REI is the best at return/warranty issues pretty much hands down.

Yeah, I don't plan to buy anything online, I want to be outfitted the right way to make the most out of my upcoming ventures :)

buz
09-22-2008, 09:28
I bought my pack at an rei, the Aether 70. This was after walking around in the store with fully loaded baltoro's, aether 60's, atmos packs, etc. Take all your gear, and add some of the weight bags they should have there to simulate max weight carried. Personally, I liked how the baltoro fit, it was simply the best feeling. But the weight thing got to me, and the osprey was a close second, so the 2# savings and lower price won me over. Just maybe call REI store and make sure what they have in stock first. If you want something specific, REI can get it shipped to that store for no charge, within their selection.

Summit
09-22-2008, 15:00
No, but I have the Gregory Whitney and had (still have and it's usable) an older Gregory with thousands of miles on it, and have been completely pleased with them. They will carry a heavy load when you need it. I've got my base pack weight down to like 30 lbs and am not willing to part with a few creature comforts to get it any lower than that. When I add 7-8 days worth of food for my twice-a-year week-long hikes, that puts me up in the 45 lb range on day one, so I don't think it wise to go with a sub-three lb pack not meant to carry more than 30 lbs.

Obviously, I'd revise this strategy if I were to do a thru, plan 4 days food max, shedding the luxuries, and would likely go with an ultra-lite pack.

Yukon
09-22-2008, 15:05
There are just so many options out there, I want to walk into the outfitter and say to the guy "give me the best pack there is for doing hikes anywhere from 3 days up to 2 weeks", then hand him my money and go away happy LOL...

Summit
09-22-2008, 16:00
For what it's worth, the pack you're inquiring about lists as REI's best selling pack. Four and a half stars with 21 reviews. The negative reviews were like 'nowhere to put my flyrod.' Give me a break! :eek: :D But as with shoes, fit is, well, nearly everything, so you should try comparable other brands and go with price/fit.

Summit
09-25-2008, 06:39
Just saw the Gregory Baltoro on sale at Campmor - $90 off at $180! That's a steal! :)

Yukon
09-25-2008, 10:01
Picking it up tonight, got a great deal on it as well along with a lot of other stuff :)