PDA

View Full Version : I miss the old WB...

Pages : 1 [2]

Tin Man
09-22-2008, 15:37
I wonder what this website is all about???

http://www.billville.me

sherrill
09-22-2008, 15:42
I would never assume someone would dare "control" their dog with a leash. That's inhumane.

I hope you're kidding. If not, relax. Old joke from old threads that were flame wars in themselves.

superman
09-22-2008, 15:43

The important thing is that I got the old shock absorber off. It took way too long but not as long as sorting out this thread. It appears that jason struck a nerve with a lot of people. Who's right....me.:)

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 15:44

grown men wearing costumes and having cute contests?

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 15:44
political forums have no place at WB. period

Stop reading then. Because as far as I am concerned it's a debate over politics and the semantics of incorporating that into a site, and having people respectfully post their opinions.

I don't want to hear about anyone elses dog...so get rid of that forum because it brings up too many bad things like... I don't like dogs, you have to leash it, not my dog, well I have a pitbull that is very well behaved, Pitbulls should be shot. The BS happens everywhere.

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 15:45
I hope you're kidding. If not, relax. Old joke from old threads that were flame wars in themselves.

Kidding.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 15:47
Stop reading then. Because as far as I am concerned it's a debate over politics and the semantics of incorporating that into a site, and having people respectfully post their opinions.

there are no politics forums to read so hard to stop reading them. politics don't belong here

max patch
09-22-2008, 15:50
I made brownies today.

Don't look now, but JOTW is at your front door.

Alligator
09-22-2008, 15:51
Homer, the thread wasn't actually about a political topic. Save the cheering. Again, you were never involved with the politics forum. There are any number of threads in that forum to counter this one. The forum failed repeatedly.

Trailangelmary, it's not just about having a moderator. I could go in there and moderate along with some mods and keep the peace but the reasons against don't support it. The acrimony spills out. It's a hostile environment. Too many gotcha games. People say they will behave and they don't. It requires too much of an admin's time and an admin is necessary to keep the peace.

There are other places to discuss politics.

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 15:52
there are no politics forums to read so hard to stop reading them. politics don't belong here

If I could even make sense of this, I'd probably comment, I'm lost...anyone else?

It's not hard to stop reading. Hit the green button thats flashing on the computer.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 15:54
If I could even make sense of this, I'd probably comment, I'm lost...anyone else?

It's not hard to stop reading. Hit the green button thats flashing on the computer.

pretty simple kid. you told me to stop reading the political forums and i said there are none to stop reading

Tin Man
09-22-2008, 15:55

But that ain't how the old politics forums went. It was a real slug fest and no one ever changed their opinion based on what was said there. Even when someone produced hard evidence of their stand, they were ridiculed.

The WB political forums were ridiculous and pointless, keep them out.

Gray Blazer
09-22-2008, 15:55
I could quote where the admins noted this behavior on your part when looking for a solution.

Amazing. Did they quote anybody else? (Like me for instance?)

Tin Man
09-22-2008, 15:57

grown men wearing costumes and having cute contests?

could be, but there is little to go on right now

jhick
09-22-2008, 15:58
People need to learn to take a joke, stop getting so offended by words....

WB is still a great source for info, but not as entertaining anymore.

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 15:59
pretty simple kid. you told me to stop reading the political forums and i said there are none to stop reading

Apparently this thread is the closest to political forum that we're going to get. And it draws the most interest for 2 days, including the big dogs like yourself. If your going to keep on going with this, make a different point...been throwin the same 1 liners you always do, Do you go hunting with 1 bullet? We all know by now there are no political forums, sorry, old man.

I don't like being called kid. I grew up a long time ago.

Gray Blazer
09-22-2008, 16:00
I love WB. Good on all y'all!

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 16:01
Apparently this thread is the closest to political forum that we're going to get. And it draws the most interest for 2 days, including the big dogs like yourself. If your going to keep on going with this, make a different point...been throwin the same 1 liners you always do, Do you go hunting with 1 bullet? We all know by now there are no political forums, sorry, old man.

I don't like being called kid. I grew up a long time ago.

this thread ain't nowhere near political :rolleyes: you really are a newbie

Alligator
09-22-2008, 16:08
Amazing. Did they quote anybody else? (Like me for instance?)We talk about you all the time GB:eek:.

J/K.

kanga
lone wolf for president! (you big dog, you.)

Homer&Marje
this thread ain't nowhere near political :rolleyes: you really are a newbie

We have to keep it as far away from being obviously political, Or it might all get shut down.

Frankly, I have made my points, I'm out of steam. They said there was no political forum anymore because it got nasty and there was no one to moderate.

Now we have someone willing to moderate and posts have been very civil lately. If it could be kept the same way, with the same rules of if it gets nasty it gets deleted and moderated.

People who believe that a political forum shouldn't exist, should not read it if it comes into existence. Do you eat things you don't like? Do you drink things you don't like? Would you dive off of a diving board into a pool with no water? NO!!!

Because if you have a little common sense you would stay away from things you don't like, don't want and don't need. If it's there, you don't like it, don't look at it.

"Why is common sense, so very uncommon?" -Mark Twain

jhick
09-22-2008, 16:10
ruff ruff!

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 16:12
We have to keep it as far away from being obviously political, Or it might all get shut down.

Frankly, I have made my points, I'm out of steam. They said there was no political forum anymore because it got nasty and there was no one to moderate.

Now we have someone willing to moderate and posts have been very civil lately. If it could be kept the same way, with the same rules of if it gets nasty it gets deleted and moderated.

People who believe that a political forum shouldn't exist, should not read it if it comes into existence. Do you eat things you don't like? Do you drink things you don't like? Would you dive off of a diving board into a pool with no water? NO!!!

Because if you have a little common sense you would stay away from things you don't like, don't want and don't need. If it's there, you don't like it, don't look at it.

"Why is common sense, so very uncommon?" -Mark Twain

you don't "get" it

Frosty
09-22-2008, 16:16
I don't like being called kid. To paraphrase Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up, kid."

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 16:18
you don't "get" it

If that's not obvious by now I don't know what is.

Of course I don't get it, If I did I would be on your side:D

Maybe you don't "get" it. Read what I had to say in the beginning and I think I made my points very clear that I "understand" why the MODS got rid of the political forum. But I don't "Get" why it can't be monitored with the rules that are in place now.

Footslogger
09-22-2008, 16:23
To paraphrase Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up, kid."

=============================

That's a Fact Jack !!

'Slogger

Gray Blazer
09-22-2008, 16:23
Here's looking at you, kid.

Here's an answer or an option. How 'bout everyone gets two stupid posts per thread and then they won't contribute anymore to that particular thread even if they have something to say on topic. The threads get too long sometimes when people like me won't stop adding to the thread. This thread is a good example I feel.

jhick
09-22-2008, 16:26

wasn't it "Lighten up Francis?"

Gray Blazer
09-22-2008, 16:29

Here's an answer or an option. How 'bout everyone gets two stupid posts per thread and then they won't contribute anymore to that particular thread even if they have something to say on topic. The threads get too long sometimes when people like me won't stop adding to the thread. This thread is a good example I feel.

You could call it the Jason of the Woods Rule or the Warriggigy.....Whirrliggigghy, unhh.....we better skip that one. It doesn't exist anyway.

sorry Wargy;)

IceAge
09-22-2008, 16:34
This thread is a perfect example of the increasing number of people that think "freedom" means "getting whatever I want".

Tin Man
09-22-2008, 16:35

I think you are over your quota here, so that ain't gonna work. Any other ideas? :rolleyes:

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 16:48
You could call it the Jason of the Woods Rule or the Warriggigy.....Whirrliggigghy, unhh.....we better skip that one. It doesn't exist anyway.

sorry Wargy;)

How about.... Homers Odyssey

Yukon
09-22-2008, 17:16
Homer, the thread wasn't actually about a political topic. Save the cheering. Again, you were never involved with the politics forum. There are any number of threads in that forum to counter this one. The forum failed repeatedly.

Trailangelmary, it's not just about having a moderator. I could go in there and moderate along with some mods and keep the peace but the reasons against don't support it. The acrimony spills out. It's a hostile environment. Too many gotcha games. People say they will behave and they don't. It requires too much of an admin's time and an admin is necessary to keep the peace.

There are other places to discuss politics.

I have to completely disagree with this, I have seen it work just fine first hand and it doesn't spill into the other forums.

Yukon
09-22-2008, 17:20

I believe he said "lighten up Francis" :) One of my favorite movie quotes...

Alligator
09-22-2008, 17:23
I have to completely disagree with this, I have seen it work just fine first hand and it doesn't spill into the other forums.I guess we'll just have to disagree. It spilled out over the web after it was closed the last time.

ed bell
09-22-2008, 17:26
I have to completely disagree with this, I have seen it work just fine first hand and it doesn't spill into the other forums.Walter, with all due respect. Not all of the "spill into other forums" stuff was out in the open. There are many other issues that only administrators had to tangle with IRT the politics forum.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-22-2008, 17:27
I have to completely disagree with this, I have seen it work just fine first hand and it doesn't spill into the other forums.
Actually Walter I'm afraid it did and to some degree still does.

Yukon
09-22-2008, 17:28
I guess we'll just have to disagree. It spilled out over the web after it was closed the last time.

Fair enough 'gator...but do you mean BEFORE it was closed last time? Because if you mean after it was closed then that would only make sense, the point I was trying to make is that if it's open you wouldn't get the spill over into the other forums...but I still have a hard time seeing how it could, I mean, If I'm talking politics in the political forum I have no reason to mention anything political in the regular forums.

Yukon
09-22-2008, 17:29
Actually Walter I'm afraid it did and to some degree still does.

I'm just saying it has never happened on the forum I run...

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 17:39
I'm going to the gym. Can we have a YMCA forum?

TOW
09-22-2008, 17:54
So, besides drugs and politics what are some of the topics that you folks feel like you can't discuss and want to:-?? Or do you just want to be free to beat the crap out of each other;)?that's what i want, we need a good flame war here!

TOW
09-22-2008, 17:58
this is a HIKING website. there's PLENTY of POLITICAL websites out there for you to join
then what about me? i don't want to join any other political sites, i want all of my political sites right here on WB so that i can get into it with someone over something political that i know nothing about........

smokymtnsteve
09-22-2008, 17:59
that's what i want, we need a good flame war here!

yes without a good flame war how will we ever get our head start to HELL???

or even get warm enough to fire one up?;)

TOW
09-22-2008, 18:12
Okay I make a bid to moderate anything political, drug induced, religion, and sexual. I will be solely in charge of those four areas.

Now will you bring the old WB back please?

Rain Man
09-22-2008, 18:33
Okay I make a bid to moderate anything political, drug induced, religion, and sexual. I will be solely in charge of those four areas.

Now will you bring the old WB back please?

Now, now, TOW, you johnny-come-lately whipper snapper. ~wink~ I have a join date of 2003 and can tell you the "old WB" didn't have such threads, nor the volume of acrimony.

The Administrators experimented recently in a "new WB" by allowing such on a trial basis. The experiment failed miserably and the administrators reverted to the true old WB. Thank goodness, I say. Good riddance.

Lots of sites for anyone who wants to discuss politics, drugs, religion, and sex. Easy as pie to find. No need for those to dilute nor drag down good OLD WB.

Didn't we give you the Hooters site URL when you visited Nashville?! LOL

Rain:sunMan

smokymtnsteve
09-22-2008, 18:37
don't worry Rain man ..I'll make lunch:D

3+Years Gone
09-22-2008, 19:13
Came on here looking for and old friend, who seems to have also disappeared from WB. I haven't been on this site in over 3 years, don't even remember my old password, and don't care. But had to sign back up to post this observation. From scanning over the threads/posts it seems things are pretty much the same as before (in reply to this threads title). Mostly the same bunch posting the same stuff. It's like a soap opera, you can tune out for several years, come back, you haven't missed a thing. If people got out and hiked one mile for every post they made you'd have a much better and knowledgeable site, or at least they'd be too tired to start a confrontation. I left because there where too many armchair hikers that sometimes (unintentionally) spewed bad advice to folks who really wanted to learn something about hiking/outdoorsmanship. Also, the mods at the time (maybe the same ones are still around) where full of themselves(among other things/stuff), almost Wingfootish. Read fast I'm sure this post will be deleted like so many others.

IceAge
09-22-2008, 19:30
Why would that post get deleted? There is a group on this thread attempting to portray the WB Mods as a group of jackbooted thugs. For ****'s sake, they are just hikers like the rest of you. I should know because I am one of them (although the least senior and newest aboard).

This thread has turned into nothing but me-tooism, attention-whoring, and generalized asshattery.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 19:32
Why would that post get deleted? There is a group on this thread attempting to portray the WB Mods as a group of jackbooted thugs. For ****'s sake, they are just hikers like the rest of you. I should know because I am one of them (although the least senior and newest aboard).

This thread has turned into nothing but me-tooism, attention-whoring, and generalized asshattery.

shut this freakin' thing down :rolleyes:

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 19:33
Came on here looking for and old friend, who seems to have also disappeared from WB. I haven't been on this site in over 3 years, don't even remember my old password, and don't care. But had to sign back up to post this observation. From scanning over the threads/posts it seems things are pretty much the same as before (in reply to this threads title). Mostly the same bunch posting the same stuff. It's like a soap opera, you can tune out for several years, come back, you haven't missed a thing. If people got out and hiked one mile for every post they made you'd have a much better and knowledgeable site, or at least they'd be too tired to start a confrontation. I left because there where too many armchair hikers that sometimes (unintentionally) spewed bad advice to folks who really wanted to learn something about hiking/outdoorsmanship. Also, the mods at the time (maybe the same ones are still around) where full of themselves(among other things/stuff), almost Wingfootish. Read fast I'm sure this post will be deleted like so many others.

Just for reference, between day hikes and other hikes, since I have joined, I have walked almost exactly 1 mile for every post I have made on this site.

And my legs look sexxxxxxy. Don't delete this for mentioning sex. TOW:D

Hooch
09-22-2008, 19:36
shut this freakin' thing down :rolleyes:Precious few here with the cajones to do that. But it is a good idea. :D

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 19:39
shut this freakin' thing down :rolleyes:

Quickest way to decrease the size of a thread.....wait for it.... wait for it.... you stop posting.

But in some sense, I think we've made all of the valid points.

Now, back to my macaroons... I'm still waiting on recipes, and did you figure out that microwave situation Alligator? And there is a lot of other unanswered questions. So maybe we should try for another 300 posts tomorrow?

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 19:40
Precious few here with the cajones to do that. But it is a good idea. :D

Is that Mongo from Blazing saddles?? That's great!!!

"A Black Sheriff!!"

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 19:49
Quickest way to decrease the size of a thread.....wait for it.... wait for it.... you stop posting.

But in some sense, I think we've made all of the valid points.

Now, back to my macaroons... I'm still waiting on recipes, and did you figure out that microwave situation Alligator? And there is a lot of other unanswered questions. So maybe we should try for another 300 posts tomorrow?

you've posted the most and really said nothing. move on kid :rolleyes:

Homer&Marje
09-22-2008, 19:58
you've posted the most and really said nothing. move on kid :rolleyes:

Your absolutely right I am sorry. All my opinions were wrong and everyone, just so everyone knows. Lone Wolf is right.

For all future reference I am wrong, only take his advice and disregard all I have to say because I am obviously an uneducated, irresponsible, degenerate of a human being. And thanks for calling me kid, makes you like that father figure I always wanted you to be.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 20:00
Your absolutely right I am sorry. All my opinions were wrong and everyone, just so everyone knows. Lone Wolf is right.

For all future reference I am wrong, only take his advice and disregard all I have to say because I am obviously an uneducated, irresponsible, degenerate of a human being.

it's a step in the right direction and most will agree with you

Hooch
09-22-2008, 20:02
Quickest way to decrease the size of a thread.....wait for it.... wait for it.... you stop posting......

"Hello, Kettle? Yeah, this Pot. I wanted to tell you that we're both black."

modiyooch
09-22-2008, 20:14
"who let the dogs out?"

Marta
09-22-2008, 20:15
You know what irritates this reader the most?

Repetitious posts.

I enjoy a good discussion, with many points of view presented. I love humor.

But...there are a certain few special people here who assume that anyone who disagrees with them has failed to grasp their point. So they state it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

It doesn't work. Anytime you've said something twice, everyone has grasped your point. And we still don't agree. And we will continue to disagree, no matter how many times you repeat yourself.

I often check back on a thread to see what interesting new stuff has showed up, but no, there's nothing new there, just the same dreck that was there earlier in the day, and the previous day, and so on, because some boneheads feel the need to repeat themselves until everyone else is so sick of reading their posts that they give it up. Hey, they "won."

No, being the last person posting is not "winning." Having to be shut down by the moderators is not "winning." Being loathed by everyone else on Whiteblaze is not "winning."

Exercise some self-control, people! Think before you post! Think, period!

kayak karl
09-22-2008, 20:31
But...there are a certain few special people here who assume that anyone who disagrees with them has failed to grasp their point. So they state it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

Agree,
In one case out of a hundred a point is excessively discussed because it is obscure; in the ninety-nine remaining it is obscure because it is excessively discussed.
Edgar Allen Poe

Footslogger
09-22-2008, 20:51
Nice weather we're having lately ...

'Slogger

ed bell
09-22-2008, 21:04
Came on here looking for and old friend, who seems to have also disappeared from WB. I haven't been on this site in over 3 years, don't even remember my old password, and don't care. But had to sign back up to post this observation. From scanning over the threads/posts it seems things are pretty much the same as before (in reply to this threads title). Mostly the same bunch posting the same stuff. It's like a soap opera, you can tune out for several years, come back, you haven't missed a thing. If people got out and hiked one mile for every post they made you'd have a much better and knowledgeable site, or at least they'd be too tired to start a confrontation. I left because there where too many armchair hikers that sometimes (unintentionally) spewed bad advice to folks who really wanted to learn something about hiking/outdoorsmanship. Also, the mods at the time (maybe the same ones are still around) where full of themselves(among other things/stuff), almost Wingfootish. Read fast I'm sure this post will be deleted like so many others.Ok, here is a new perspective. Someone who has not posted in over 3 years. This poster thinks that this site is the same as it ever was. " Mostly the same bunch posting the same stuff." This poster thinks that 3 years ago the moderators were "wingfootish". Anyone who was here 3 years ago would scoff at that remark. Hell anyone who was on Trailplace back in the day would scoff at comparisons to WB even today. Also, this poster goes on to say that there is enough bad advice regarding hiking/outdoorsmanship being posted by armchair hikers that it ended their participation. Where did that come from? Post your old user name "3+ years gone", at least we can see where you are coming from.

Alligator
09-22-2008, 21:12
You folks want the politics forum back:rolleyes:.