PDA

View Full Version : montbell SS DH #1

jay590
09-21-2008, 04:49
I'm looking at getting the montbell super stretch down hugger #1 for winter. I'm a very restless sleeper so the stretch feature really appeals to me. I want to know what to use to keep the inside clean besides a liner. I don't want to use a liner because it always get twisted and i wake up in the middle of the night because I'm uncomfortable. Are there any other alternative to using a liner?

Egads
09-21-2008, 07:32
use a fresh long sleeved shirt & bottoms.

wrongway_08
09-21-2008, 10:50
Easiest thing to do is take a shower at the shelter, hang you platypus in a tree and shower up. I usually showered every 2 or 3 days this way. At the very least wash you legs/arms and head, I would do this 90 percent of the time if there wasnt time to do a complete shower. Not only does this keep you from smelling up your bag too badly but feels good at the end of the day.

If your thru-hiking, wash you bag every 3 or 4 weeks in town also.

Cuffs
09-21-2008, 11:04
I have this bag and love it! I think Sly has it too and raves about it. I follow Egads suggestion and just put on clean sleep clothes.

KG4FAM
09-21-2008, 11:49
I just bought that bag. I got in it in the living room and instantly started sweating. Cant wait for it to get cold and give it a good night out in the woods.

LIhikers
09-21-2008, 21:32
I do like Egads said and it works well.
wrongway 08's suggestion is even better, if you can do it.

Blissful
09-21-2008, 22:10
I wouldn't shower in cold weather though (he's getting a bag for the winter), but that's me.

If you don't want a liner, then having clothes just for sleeping is your best option. But in the winer it's not dirt that is so much the culprit (as your limbs are usually covered unless you hit a warm spell or you like shorts in any weather), but hiker aroma.

sbennett
09-22-2008, 00:52
I second the motion for no showering in winter. Use a little hand sanitizer or some sort of wet wipe to give yourself a once over if you feel like it but then just keep one set of baselayers separate from everything to keep them clean for sleeping. I wouldn't worry too much about things because down bags are super easy to wash if a big washing machine is available. Just use Woolite or other down ready detergent, two rinses, and maybe extra spin. Then dry on super low heat.

Egads
09-22-2008, 06:53
You could always hand wash with a bandanna soaked with hot water. I do the same with cold water in warm weather. It makes you feel so much better to clean the grime off.

bumpass
09-26-2008, 14:08
After a quick sponge bath to get the grime off first, slip into a thin silk long sleve top and bottom. ;)

Anyone with experience in this bag.....please tell me your pros and cons. :-?
I want one too.

Egads
09-26-2008, 17:07
I've got the #0 and find it really comfortable

Quoddy
09-26-2008, 17:26
I've got three MB DH SS... #7, #4, and #0. I just try not to get them any dirtier than necessary and wash the bag when it does gets dirty or if the funk becomes too much. On long hikes, even in the summer, I can usually go 30 days before breaking out the "Downwash". The bags are made to be "used" and are not supposed to be showpieces. I love those Super Stretches.