PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil questions

Pickleodeon
09-21-2008, 08:53
I have the jetboil personal cooksystem. I'm thinking about dehydrating food, so then I'd just have to rehydrate and bring to boil quick and simmer, etc in the jetboil. But, I was thinking that I'll probably be cooking food sometimes too, like, what if I want some pancakes, or a quesedilla? So, my thought was, maybe I'd get the fry pan too. But that seems redundant to carry the personal cup which weighs 8.7oz. and the fry pan 10 oz. (Total weight is about 1lb. 5 oz for cup and pan and it would need the stabilizer and pot support- I think- which is included in that weight)

OR I was thinking maybe just go for the 1.5 L (12 oz) pot and I'd be able to make flat things in that and boil things. Also, the pot needs the pot support and stabilizer which are 1.2oz. and .9oz. Pot and stabilizer total is 14.1 oz.

So for those of you who use a jetboil, what's the easiest and weight/space conscious thing to do?

Also, how exactly do you tweak the lighting mechanism when it doesnt light the gas? I heard you can just wiggle/bend it to make it work better, or should I just use my lighter?

Am I overthinking this? ha. Thanks!!

hopefulhiker
09-21-2008, 09:44
On my thru in 05, I rarely saw hikers using a frying pan. A Jet boil is great for dehydrated food.

Mercy
09-21-2008, 09:58
When I bought my Jetboil, the ceramic on on lighter was cracked (almost invisible!) and when you pushed the lighter, it grounded out, and didn't light. Jetboil sent me a replacement lighter. That entailed me taking the stove apart, which is a great thing to do at home, so you know how, should you ever need to do it on the trail! (Instructions are on their website.)

I bought my cousin a Jetboil for Christmas, and his lighter didn't work out of the box either. I looked at it on the trail, and realized it wasn't seated properly, took the thing apart, placed the lighter properly, and the unit was fixed.

If the wire is not sitting in the right place, it isn't going to light easily. Be careful before you bend it though; make sure it is properly seated first. Then make sure you don't crack the ceramic when you bend it.

My Jetboil lighter works great, but, I always carry a bic, too.:D

bathtub boy
09-21-2008, 10:05
an option might be to carry personal cup, a stablizer, and a teflon coated flat pan(which is like a pie pan without the flanged sides, which makes it lite) The large pot is not nearly as fuel efficiant as the personal cup, neither are tflon coated. As far as the igniter, well, sometimes they act up, i just always used a lighter. note whatever pot you do use make sure the burner, when stowed, can not move around in the pot when on the go. the burner becomes fragile after prolonged use, and can crumble if its able to bounce around inside the pot. also with the personel cup dont snap the lid on when cooking, just set it on top

KG4FAM
09-21-2008, 10:15
In order to have an evenly cooked pancake you would need a very heavy pan to distribute the heat out from the essentially point source of a Jetboil. A better stove for something like this might be something like a MSR Superfly with a wider burner.

Montana Mac
09-21-2008, 10:34
My ignitor also went bad while sectioning hiking with my brother (Iceman GAME07) on his thru hike. I used a lighter until I found a replacement - easy fix.

He carried the optional pot for the Jetboil and it worked great for him. I had the regular system. Most mornings I would make the coffee (Maxwell House 4 cup pac fits perfect into the Jetboil) in mine and he would heat the water for oatmeal or whatever. Dinners we did our own. His pot was much easier to eat from and clean.

I am planning my thru for 09 and I am trying to decide whether to carry the optional pot or not - the extra weight is a real consideration.

Getting off the thread - I also bought a Markill Hotshot that weighs only 7.5 oz (without fuel canister). This with a titanium pot with "frying pan" lid weighs in right around a Jetboil. I have yet to try the Markill out in the "real world" to see how well it will do.

Summit
09-21-2008, 11:03
My Jetboil lighter works great, but, I always carry a bic, too.:DI've about decided to not bother with the Piezo lighter because it's near impossible to light the unit without a 'kaboom.' Flicking my Bic first over the burner and then turning the gas release knob slowly results in a nice smooth ignition, which is a lot safer and sure to not result in hair loss on your hands! :) I'd suggest for simplicity and weight management, stick with what you can cook in the personal cup. Out of the wind, you can turn the burner quite low, but you are correct that you can't cook things like omlets and pancakes that need to be distributed flat to cook best. But you'll never know it will produce a 'deep-dish pancake' until you try? :p

Obiwan
09-21-2008, 16:00
I have zero issues using the built in lighter

I just make sure the valve is not stuck shut and then slowly carck it as I push the button

Zero issue in several years of use

Boudin
09-21-2008, 16:06
Save the weight and leave the fry pan at home. If you have a craving for pancakes, hold out for town.

sbennett
09-22-2008, 00:48
I'm pretty sure all of those auto-igniters crack eventually and stop working. The same happened to my MSR Superfly years ago. Carry a lighter for sure.

As to frying pans, there are companies that make coated titanium frying pans that will only weigh around 4-5 ounces. REI strangely enough and Evernew are the brands that come to mind. Try this: http://www.rei.com/product/764179

The Jetboil pan is still made out of anodized aluminum and will be fairly heavy, especially considering the fluxring welded to the bottom.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-22-2008, 08:45
The jetboil can be very limiting and eating the same stuff every day then gorging in towns isn't that appealing to me.
This http://www.rei.com/product/695242 is an ok pancake maker if you have a wide burner stove. A small burner like a pocket rocket or snowpeak are too focused to allow the pan to spread the heat evenly and your flapjack will burn like Atlanta when Sherman came to town. Other comments-The sides are fairly high and getting your "flipper" under the pancake can be tricky. The high sides will let you get some limited extra duty it's doubles ok as a saucepan, again better with a wide burner stove. You also need a pot gripper. And that sealed bacon crisps up quite well in this guy.
If you want pancakes, then by all means set yourself up so you can have them. What other AT hikers use is their business. You carry the 5 ounces and can tell them no when they suddenly ask to borrow it.

rafe
09-22-2008, 09:00
If you're already thinking of a frying pan, skip the Jetboil. IMO the biggest (and maybe only) advantage of the Jetboil is the packaging. For what it's worth, I also had the ignitor fail pretty early on.

middle to middle
09-22-2008, 11:28
I love my jetboil ! Hot water fast! coffee and soup tea oatmeal fast ! I am not a speed hiker but I like fast hot water on a cold day or early in the morning.

JaxHiker
10-07-2008, 09:52
Just saw this thread and thought I'd maybe give you guys some info you don't know. I bought my Jetboil in June and when I was hiking last month the igniter was very intermittent. Half the time it won't spark.

I talked to Jetboil and they had a bad run from their supplier. They've switched suppliers so if you've been having problems that may be the reason. If the button on your igniter is red then give them a call and they'll send you a new one. Until then a lighter works fine for getting it going.

As for the pancakes, I made them with my GSI frying pan. The trick is to turn the flame down until it's almost out. Otherwise you'll concentrate so much heat in the center of the pan it'll warp. This would be experience speaking. ;)

grumpypickle
10-07-2008, 17:50
I used a JetBoil the for my thru this year and the ignitor switch lasted until Monson, after that I just used a lighter, no BFD. The only time I ever saw anyone preparing anything that I couldn't make in my JetBoil was in Vermont when a couple of crazy Canadian canoers were making pancakes (there were also making syrup out of Pepsi and carrying about 70lbs a piece).

Honestly, if you are anything like me and most other thru hikers, you are going to spend a great deal of time in your first 2 weeks thinking about how you can make your pack lighter and what you can send home. I think that you will find that a cook system with 2 pans or pots or whatever is going to be overkill. Go with the straight JetBoil system and carry a lighter (which I assume you would be carrying anyway).

Jukebox

Serial 07
10-07-2008, 18:08
i've used my jetboil over an alcohol stove as well and it kicked butt...when you are cooking things, don't wait unitl boil to put food in because you will be waiting 20 minutes for things to cool off...10 minutes to cook and 25 to cool off...i learned to add everything early, let the water get hot, and then turn off the gas and let the hot cup cook the food on its own...saves time and gas...

i love the jetboil though, especially since i found out i can use a alcohol stove underneath it...

oh and as far as the lighting mech, my (please no jinx) has been working fine, but when i doesn't, grab a lighter...it lights up very safely and easy...my alcohol stove scares me more than the jetboit...

Summit
11-01-2008, 14:38
On my last hike a couple of weeks ago, I left the bottom plastic windshield cover (that serves as a cup) on a log at a campsite (Argggghhh!). First thing I've left/lost in a long time. Didn't discover it missing until I unpacked it at the end of that day's hike.

Anyway, I called Jetboil and ordered another one ($4) and since I was getting that anyway, I mentioned that my igniter had stopped working and that it was the 'red button version' and they offered to send me the new black button one free. Both items arrived a couple of days ago. Good product - good company - good customer service! ;)

mtnkngxt
11-02-2008, 11:31
I plan on taking th top pan from my snowpeak 900Ti set as a fry pan if I need one.

Panzer1
11-02-2008, 12:58
But, I was thinking that I'll probably be cooking food sometimes too, like, what if I want some pancakes, or a quesedilla?

I think pancakes on the trail would be awesome. But on a long hike,one problem would be carrying pancake syrup and butter. I guess you would need another nalgene container to decant the syrup into because real maple syrup usually comes in glass containers that would be too heavy to carry. Carrying the butter would be another problem. I guess you could have another nalgene container to put the butter in. You may end up with far more butter than you want. But the butter could also be used to cook other things as well. Also you would need a spatula of some kind. And maybe another nalgene container to mix the pancake mix in. Even though all this may be heavy. So your going to have another pan, pan handle, spatula, syrup and butter container to carry. Of course once you have the pan and spatula you could probably cook other foods as well.

Panzer
ps the wife is cooking pancakes right now for breakfast:D

Panzer

Ramble~On
11-02-2008, 17:22
A Jetboil was the first stove that I've bought in a long, long time.
I pretty much swore off everything except alcohol stoves a while back.
This summer I was offered a cup of coffee and a Jetboil was used.
I was amazed by the speed of the thing and when told how long a tiny canister lasted I started thinking about getting one for winter use.
I enjoy winter hiking and camping probably more than any other season and the foods I carry just need boiling or hot water.
I picked up a PCS in October and I like it.

With the little pot rest attachment I can use my existing cookware if I ever plan do any real cooking but for now I don't plan to ever cook anything inside the PCS.

Great Stove.

Panzer1
11-02-2008, 23:38
I was amazed by the speed of the thing and when told how long a tiny canister lasted I started thinking about getting one for winter use.

Canister stoves are not necessary known as the best stove to use in the winter.

Panzer

Summit
11-03-2008, 08:06
Canister stoves are not necessary known as the best stove to use in the winter.

PanzerThe larger size works better than the smaller ones in cold weather. Put the canister close by the night before and when you wake up, bring it into the sleeping bag for 10-15 minutes. Should work fine down into the teens at least. Haven't experienced colder than that with one, but I think most stove solutions become difficult when it gets single digits and colder.

Ramble~On
11-03-2008, 08:57
I haven't had a problem with canisters when using my Pocket Rocket in the winter. As with water, tooth paste and stove canisters you have to keep things warm. :D Frozen Snickers bars don't bother me.
I carry a few of the small size hand warmers in winter and figure I can use them on the canister if it came to that.

Two Speed
11-03-2008, 09:33
. . . This summer I was offered a cup of coffee and a Jetboil was used. I was amazed by the speed of the thing . . . Fastest liter of coffee on the trail.
Canister stoves are not necessary known as the best stove to use in the winter.Just throw the canister in the bottom of your sleeping bag if you think that it's going to be that cold in the morning. Problem solved.

Actually I do the same thing with my Trangia; just kick the burner sans stand in the bottom of my bag. Makes lighting an alky stove much easier, too.

Pringles
11-03-2008, 12:37
They're not quite the same as regular pancakes, but on this page are recipes to use with the bakepacker.

http://www.bakepacker.com/recipes.html

If you scroll down a little, you find a recipe for pancakes. I think you should be able to make them with a JetBoil. The technique is a little like freezer bag cooking, but you need to actually boil the mix, not just let it rehydrate. There are other posts on Whiteblaze that talk about using either the bakepacker, or some stones on the bottom of the pan, to get the baggie off the bottom of the pan. I have a bakepacker, but I tend to use a jar ring (from an old jelly jar) with a piece or two of foil folded into cross-supports, to get the bag off the bottom of the pan. I think that should work for you, and let you make other things, as well, if you're interested.

Pringles

Chance09
11-03-2008, 12:47
I was hoping to do the same with my jetboil and make pancakes. Let me tell you that without a frying pan like the one you would use on your stove at home it is not going to work.
I just bought a montbell #1 titanium pot with frying pan lid. I was going to carry the pan and use it as a plate since it only weighs an ounce or 2, but when i tried cooking with it it didn't work. The middle of the pancake burns to all hell while the outside doesn't cook. The jetboil frying pan may work out because of better heat distribution but then your just getting way to heavy, if you carry that and the cup. I would suggest getting the pot stabalizer and supports tho. I use the stabalizer all the time just because the jetboil system is a bit tall and akward. Another suggestion i'd have is to put a string thru the hole in the lid to make it easier to pull off. I've burnt myself quite a few times from the steam.

mudhead
11-03-2008, 13:39
Another suggestion i'd have is to put a string thru the hole in the lid to make it easier to pull off. I've burnt myself quite a few times from the steam.

Thanks for the heads up on the hot spot made by the burner with a frypan. Saved me some annoyance.

Re the steam. I set the lid on loose, then lift it like it has a hinge. (Much like tight plastic wrap on a bowl in the micro at home.)

Summit
11-03-2008, 19:29
Re the steam. I set the lid on loose, then lift it like it has a hinge. (Much like tight plastic wrap on a bowl in the micro at home.)Ditto! The only time I clamp the lid down is when storing or after I add my coffee ingredients and French press attachment, which makes for an awesome cup of fresh brewed real coffee! :)

Panzer1
11-05-2008, 20:17
Throwing a cold canister in the foot of your sleeping bag will warm the canister up nicely and you won't have any problems with the stove in the morning.

However, on a cold night, putting a cold canister in your sleeping bag is like putting a large ice cube in your bag and sleeping with it all night. It will make you colder.

If its really going to be that cold, then you should just bring your winter stove.

Panzer

mrc237
11-06-2008, 06:48
I removed the ignitor and use a more dependable lighter full time. Also carry a 10 oz teflon coated fry pan. It opens a whole different menu plus I sometimes use it as a plate (use plastic utensils). I also carry an aluminum pie pan that stores inside the fry pan for use as a cover for dinner items. Campmor has a folding lightweight spatula that works great. Suggest leaving all items home for the first few weeks until the cravings start setting in then you'll appreciate it more and not fret about the "extra weight".

sheepdog
11-06-2008, 10:35
Throwing a cold canister in the foot of your sleeping bag will warm the canister up nicely and you won't have any problems with the stove in the morning.

However, on a cold night, putting a cold canister in your sleeping bag is like putting a large ice cube in your bag and sleeping with it all night. It will make you colder.

If its really going to be that cold, then you should just bring your winter stove.

Panzer
Just use that jetboil to boil a pot of water and put it in your nalgene bottle. The hot water bottle will negate the cold canister by your feet.