PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight trekking poles

genetic claybuilding
09-21-2008, 12:36
I had a set of Leki Ti Ergo poles but they passed away this summer. They were 14 ounces for the pair. What poles would be similar in weight (no more than 16 ounces/pair max) and reliable? I need a new pair before hiking again next month.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-21-2008, 13:02
I had a set of Leki Ti Ergo poles but they passed away this summer. They were 14 ounces for the pair. What poles would be similar in weight (no more than 16 ounces/pair max) and reliable? I need a new pair before hiking again next month.
What killed the Lekis

genetic claybuilding
09-21-2008, 13:29
What killed the Lekis

The locking mechanism failed. This happened before with my first pair (also Ti Ergo) and I heard it was a common problem, so it's no surprise they were discontinued.

hopefulhiker
09-21-2008, 18:28
Backpacking light has a set of carbon fixed poles, very light for 99 dollars.

Quoddy
09-21-2008, 18:50
For over a year, and at least 1000 miles, I've been using adjustable length carbon fiber poles by Titanium Goat (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/products.html). The locking system is unique and as near bomb-proof as you can get. They're 6.4 ounces per PAIR and $150. If you have ANY problem with them, TiGoat will put them right. I've never used my Leki's since buying them.

Summit
09-21-2008, 19:08
Well, these exceed your 16 oz. by 2 oz., but the locking mechanisms make that worth it:

http://www.rei.com/product/750190

And having had a carbon fiber pole snap on me (when I feel it clearly shouldn't have), I'm inclined to use the aluminum poles for superior lateral stress strength.

sbennett
09-22-2008, 00:59
Well, these exceed your 16 oz. by 2 oz., but the locking mechanisms make that worth it:

http://www.rei.com/product/750190

And having had a carbon fiber pole snap on me (when I feel it clearly shouldn't have), I'm inclined to use the aluminum poles for superior lateral stress strength.

I agree with this. I think the Black Diamond locking mechanism is superior to that of Leki or any other "twist to lock" pole....even if they do weigh two ounces more. I have the Black Diamond Elliptical Spire poles, which were a gift after I was getting annoyed by my Leki Ti Air Ergo poles (supposedly lighter), and I like the Black Diamond's a lot better. They're sturdier, don't collapse, and I honestly can't tell they weigh more.

Summit
09-22-2008, 07:06
I'm using REI's 'Summit' aluminum poles at 20 oz. and honestly cannot tell the difference from the carbon fiber ones (12.5 oz.) that broke on me on my first outing. When I wear these out I'm going for the Black Diamond ones.

Egads
09-22-2008, 07:12
For over a year, and at least 1000 miles, I've been using adjustable length carbon fiber poles by Titanium Goat (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/products.html). They're 6.4 ounces per PAIR and $150. If you have ANY problem with them, TiGoat will put them right. I've never used my Leki's since buying them.

I use 5oz Gossamer Gear CF poles. Love them. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek3_Trekking_Poles.html?id=x7BkU7ZU:76.97.21 2.211

Used to read about BD locking mechanisms failing.

BTW, Leki will fix your poles for free under their lifetime warranty.

Blue Jay
09-22-2008, 07:16
You could try Inviso Poles they weigh nothing (which means alot since the weight rides on the very ends of your arms) and cost nothing (on sale of course). I've used a pair for over 6000 miles and the locking mechanisim is still in perfect shape. If you watch marathon racers, both running and walking on TV, you'll see that every songle one of them uses the inviso poles. If they are good enough for them, they're good enough for you.:eek:

Blue Jay
09-22-2008, 07:20
I almost forgot, Inviso has an even better warrenty than Leki. Y:eek:ou don't even have to contact Inviso at all.

BookBurner
09-22-2008, 09:56
If you want to resucitate (sp?) your old poles, you can buy replacement locking nuts for the Leki's.

genetic claybuilding
09-22-2008, 09:59
Thanks for the info. I ordered the 5.2 oz/pair Gossamer Gear poles, which are on sale. They're fixed, but rarely did I collapse my Lekis to carry or stow them.

Summit
09-22-2008, 13:00
No hand straps? Anyone (including manufacturers) who says you don't need straps has obviously never used them properly adjusted. Straps ARE the difference between trekking poles and sticks! :eek: Think about it . . . in order to shift load from your body to the pole, you have to grip the pole (hand grip) pretty hard, without straps. Most of the stress is transferred to your fingers, a little to the wrist. With properly adjusted straps, 95% of the weight/load shift is applied to the ball of the wrist/end of your forearm, i.e. your entire forearm takes the weight and stress. The forearm and upper arm are much better suited to take the load/stress of your body than your fingers/wrist . . . think about it.

Summit
09-22-2008, 13:05
I almost forgot, Inviso has an even better warrenty than Leki. Y:eek:ou don't even have to contact Inviso at all.If you don't like, believe in, or see the value in trekking poles, why don't you just pass on the discussion of someone looking for which ones to buy? I highly doubt that you will convince those of us who have experienced the value that there is no value. Might as well try to convince me, who has been to Spain, that there is no such thing as Spain! :D :p

1azarus
09-22-2008, 14:36
I hear you on the strap thing... as an old (well, pretty old) skier, I do agree that it is all about the strap... but the testers line up behind the delight of the no-strap grip, and I think I may try it, but right now I'm trying to choose between the strapless gossamer gear lightrek 3 or maybe the strapped Goode carbon ski poles. Anybody have any experience with Goode? I really actually want fixed length poles -- I prefer their simplicity -- and I like to use my poles for fly stakes -- which means pushing them into the ground with some force -- and pulling them back out again. The Gossamer Gear product info statement that talks about needing to keep baskets on the tips to keep them from snapping in rocks makes me a little nervous. The reviewer that they post on their site seemed to be walking on the smooth, sandy surfaces whimpy western hikers specialize in, not the manly rocks of the AT. Maybe the Goode poles are stronger, but they don't actually list a weight on their web site. Ramble, Ramble, Ramble, sorry.

Summit
09-22-2008, 14:47
I hear you on the strap thing... as an old (well, pretty old) skier, I do agree that it is all about the strap... but the testers line up behind the delight of the no-strap grip (snip)As long as I can put my entire weight on the strap with my fingers/hands completely open, it will be a hard sell for me to try strapless poles. I've been proven wrong before, but this time . . . I . . . I . . . I don't think so! :p

Quoddy
09-22-2008, 17:00
The debate on straps vs strapless will probably continue as long as the poles or no poles debate. I think it totally depends on how each individual uses the poles. With my old Leki's, I used straps and exerted almost too much pressure on them with each step. When I switched to poles that weighed 3.2 ounces each I found that I liked the total manuverabiliy and quickness of placing them so much, that I did not use straps on them after first trying them that way.

Egads
09-22-2008, 17:18
As Quoddy said, you have much better control placing the pole. Whenever you do get the pole stuck in a hole, you just let it go without bending it. Said another way, put the pole in compression, not in a bending moment. I do not miss straps one bit. But, I carry much less weight than 90% of hikers on the trail.