PDA

View Full Version : Hiking and Fatigue

Jersey Bob
03-15-2004, 15:24
at least 10 characters

bobgessner57
03-15-2004, 15:59
Do you mean muscle fatigue or general sleepiness, too? If you are drowsy it sounds like not enough sleep. The treadmill will help with cardiovascular issues but doesn't work out all the muscles that hoist you up, down and around rocks, roots and other nefarious obstructions in the trail. Keep hiking and those muscles will get conditioned. Some sort of climbing exercise might also help. I climb ladders and scaffolding in my work and play Gumby to contort my body into all sorts of odd places so I tend to be a lot more flexible and conditioned for odd steps than many fit people I know. Stretching before hitting the trail and after the trip helps me. I'll stop and stretch at the gas station and food stops on my way home after a trip. The car ride home can be a killer. I'll almost lock up if I don't stretch. Trekking poles also help. I use them even when day hiking, particularly on rough or steep trail. They take a lot of stress and strain off of the leg muscles and joints.

Ankle Bone
03-15-2004, 16:16
Sounds pretty normal to me. Even though you exercise before a hike, you're using the muscles in an entirely different way once you're on the trail. When you come back, every time you sit, they'll tighten back up, so try to walk as much as possible after the hike and drink lots of water. Both will get the lactic acid washed out and keep the muscles warm. Or, just keep hikin'!

Jersey Bob
03-15-2004, 16:27
at least 10 characters

Jersey Bob
03-15-2004, 16:31
at least 10 characters

illininagel
03-15-2004, 17:33
I do an hour on the treadmill at a 15% incline 4 - 5 days a week.

That sounds like an incredible workout routine. And, I thought I was doing good. Maybe it has something to do with the speed setting. I'm doing 45 minutes at a 2% incline 4 days a week---at 4.6 mph.

What is your mph at the 15% incline? Just curious...

Jersey Bob
03-15-2004, 18:09
at least 10 characters

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2004, 18:09
do you use any medications?? some medications can interupt Mitochondiral processes at the celluar level...and cause symptoms of this sort

Pinball
03-15-2004, 20:35
Jersey Bob

Also, try adding some strength training to your routine. Squats, lunges, and especially 1 legged step ups are invaluable. Also, try trading in the treadmill one day for the Step Mill (reverse escalator thing) if your gym has one. Definately drink more water, stretch (after exercise) and maybe take a day off!
Pinball
MEGA 01

illininagel
03-16-2004, 00:09
Try increasing your intensity (incline) but reduce your speed. I'll bet the work you do, measured by heart rate, will be about the same but you can do it much longer.

Jersey Bob,

Thanks for the response. I also measure my heartbeat and lately it averages about 140 beats per minute during my workout. I like your idea of increasing the incline while reducing the speed, but maintaining the heartbeat rate at the same level. I'll try that next time I get on my treadmill.

Jody7818
03-16-2004, 08:33
Jersey,

I had similar occurences when I began mountain biking. Stretching before my ride always seemed to keep my leg muscles from hurting during and after the ride. The biggest factor that helped me out the most was developing my leg muscles. And the only way I did that was by simply riding my bike. It took a couple of months before I could see some good results in my leg muscles. That has made a world of difference in my bike riding. The pain seemed to eventually go away.

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 11:07
I'll try that next time I get on my treadmill.
illininagel, just to clarify, the 15 % incline on the treadmill seems to come close to the incline I experience on the trail (at least here in NJ). When I'm on the trail and it feels harder than the treadmill, I back off a bit. If the trail seems easier than the treadmill routine, I pick up the pace. This way I know I can go for at least an hour before taking a break.

As conditioning improves, I up my max heart rate by about 5 bpm on the treadmill and try for an hour. I actually started this with a max of 105 bpm, this was the highest I could do for an hour. To make things interesting, at some point during the hour, I'll push it to 165 bpm (theoretical max for a guy my age) for as long as I can, once a week, then rest for a day. When I come back I notice a big improvement in the normal routine.

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 11:20
do you use any medications?? some medications can interupt Mitochondiral processes at the celluar level...and cause symptoms of this sortHmmm... Prevacid for reflux.. You got me wondering now if this affects oxidation and fatty-acyl-CoA transport. Thanks for the idea!

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 11:36
Definately drink more water, stretch (after exercise) and maybe take a day off!
Pinball
MEGA 01
Pinball, thanks for the info. Translation?[chuckle]: drink more and lay around!

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 11:52
Hmmm... Prevacid for reflux.. You got me wondering now if this affects oxidation and fatty-acyl-CoA transport. Thanks for the idea!

prevacid can cause myalgia...and also vit B12 deficit...do you take a multi vitamin???

try b12 and some co-Q 10...prevacid is also a metabolised by the p450 pathway in the liver..avoid grapefruit.

torch
03-16-2004, 11:55
Hmmm... Prevacid for reflux.. You got me wondering now if this affects oxidation and fatty-acyl-CoA transport. Thanks for the idea!
No, it doesn't. Prevacid is a proton pump inhibitor and localizes along cell membranes. While there have been no studies to specifically rule out interference with acyl-CoA metabolism or transport, it is known that it does not affect mitochondrial proton pumps and none of the side effects of Prevacid seem to indicate lipid metabolism effects.

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 12:35
prevacid can cause myalgia...and also vit B12 deficit...do you take a multi vitamin???

try b12 and some co-Q 10...prevacid is also a metabolised by the p450 pathway in the liver..avoid grapefruit.Thanks for the lead. Did some poking around in google on your info. Wow grapefruit can do some nasty stuff with meds! Will definitely get the multi vitamins. Will do more checking on the coenzyme on my own and with my doc, but looks good.

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 12:43
No, it doesn't. Prevacid is a proton pump inhibitor and localizes along cell membranes. While there have been no studies to specifically rule out interference with acyl-CoA metabolism or transport, it is known that it does not affect mitochondrial proton pumps and none of the side effects of Prevacid seem to indicate lipid metabolism effects.Torch, thanks. I feel like I just had a $95 session with my doc with all the info I got here! Either that or a semester in med school.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 12:46
send payment to

smokymtnsteve
c/o general delivery
fontana dam, nc 28733

hold for AT hiker
approx arrival...most any time! :D

Jersey Bob
03-16-2004, 12:54
smokymtnsteve
c/o general delivery
fontana dam, nc 28733

hold for AT hiker
Hah! Well I'll be.... I was just wondering how to address those care packages to myself while on the trail!

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 12:58
Hah! Well I'll be.... I was just wondering how to address those care packages to myself while on the trail!

Steve McElreath
C/O General Delivery
Fontana Dam, NC 28733

Hold for AT hikers

Steve McElreath
C/O Happy Hiker
905 River Rd. Suite 5
Gatlinburg, TN 37738

Hold for AT hikers

Steve McElreath
C/O Rainbow Springs Camp Ground
7984 West old Murphy Rd.
Franklin, NC 28734

Hold for AT hikers
ETA March 19, 2004
404-634-2798

Steve McElreath
C/O Mtn. Crossing
9710 Gainesville Hwy.
Blairsville, GA 30512

Hold for AT hikers

torch
03-16-2004, 13:15
Torch, thanks. I feel like I just had a $95 session with my doc with all the info I got here! Either that or a semester in med school.
Actually covered proton pumps in the biochemical toxicolgy course I teach just a few weeks ago. Prevacid is one of the drugs we cover, so it is fresh in my mind!

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 13:18
maybe slight rhabdo...LDH elevations?