PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Thru-Hiking partners

bach2112
09-21-2008, 19:25
I already made one post about being new, so my basic info is there. I'm looking to see if I can't find a couple of partners to tru hike with me on Febuary 15th. I plan to do it in 90-95 days, but that all depends on who I'm hiking with if I meet anyone who is interested. I don't want to take 6 months, mainly because I want to get back in to college before the Fall semister.- I'm 25 and need to graduate really badly!- Anyone interested?

KG4FAM
09-21-2008, 19:42
If you have until Fall semester then why the rush?

Slo-go'en
09-21-2008, 21:59
Good luck on both counts. Doing a thru hike in 90-95 days is ambitious even given a light pack, good weather and a strong body. If you want to do a speed hike, a better time to start is May 1st +/-. Starting Feb 15, you simply will not be able to do the big miles every day a 90 day thru hike requires. And if you do, you will end up in New England when there could still be significant amounts of snow on the trail, and that will stop you cold. Last winter was a big snow year and it didn't clear out until well into May. We can only wait to see what this winter brings.

Blissful
09-21-2008, 22:02
Need longer than three months for your hike. And to find someone at that kind of pace would be very tough indeed.

bach2112
09-22-2008, 00:09
To answer all these questions:

1. I need ot get back into town ASAP. One, my friend is getting married in May and I have to play music at his wedding.

2. As far as the winter is concerned, I have taken into major account. My only worry is whether I'm going to have to extend it due to the weather liek you have said. I can always do the wedding and come back, but I have it all in my head- a dangerous thing to do- to finish it by May. I have follwed some weather reports and have started planning gear, mail drops, and other things to be ready for it. Though hiking in snow will be scenic, it will also be miserable the whole time if all you experience is cold nights. If I started in May, I wouldn't have time to complete by the fall semister dealine unless I pushed extra hard. I have took in account the fact of extending my trip, and that will give me enough room to extend it a couple of months if need be. Though ambitious, I won't subject myself to human incompetance- like my spelling, it's bad-, and end up hating my time on the AT rather then living the AT and the moment.

3. I know it will be hard to find people, but you never know. It's always worth a try.

4. If anyone plans on doing it a little longer, say into May early June, let me know.

leprechaun
09-22-2008, 00:10
im going to try a 105 day thru but im starting in the first part of may

leprechaun
09-22-2008, 00:13
http://www.andrewskurka.com/
this guy did a three month thru several years ago, hes full of great info

Bare Bear
09-24-2008, 08:57
UTURN
Take the time to enjoy the hike. Rushing will not give you the chance to meet and stay with the many friends you will develope during a Thru. Six months out of your life and the College will still be there. And "Completed AT 2009" looks good on the resume.

True Karma
10-05-2008, 12:47
I never agreed with the whole "you will miss out if you go fast thing". Everyone hikes the same trail and most of the time you would spend on a slow hike compared to a fast hike is just hanging out, correct? If I hike the AT, I am going to try to make around 18 mpd, but if I don't no big deal.

UTURN, I should be starting out behind you at the end of February to March 1st so I can't really help you but best of luck.

Montana AT05
10-08-2008, 18:09
You can do a thru in 90-95 days. Go lightweight, don't take zeros unless required and don't plan on a partner.

Maximize the daylight hours--hike from dawn to dusk.

Minimize pack weight.

PREPARE!! Hit the gym, asap. Get your legs in shape--do more than standard exercises, work all sorts of muscles. The AT tread is much harder than other parts of the country, pound for pound, foot by foot, mile by mile, the AT is one tough hombre. The first 1/4 of the trail will be a real test--mountains are straight-up, straight-down.

Many folks will say you need to slow down and smell the roses. They have a point. But there is much to be gained at a fast pace as well. There is a sense of accomplishment in any thru-hike. The key is doing your OWN thing versus obeying the absolutely ridiculous and inexcuseable attempts by today's thru-hiking community to set rules and regulations on a hike. It's like the trails have been taken over by bookish bureaucrats who are more concerned about this year's definition of "pure" than they are enjoying hiking.

And someone listed Andrew Skurka. His AT hike was his first long distance hike attempt. He went into it like many of us did--clueless. His pack was huge, he was un-prepared, etc. But he re-organized himself and finished the hike fast. But--he had been a college athlete (runner) which gave him a solid base from which to start.

I think 23 miles per day was his average with 4 zero days. No zero days is key. But oh how I love zeroes...especially along the AT with it's rich history and neat towns and culture.

I did my AT hike in 110 days hiking (+3 weeks of zeroes if I recall). I started very slow (8-10 miles days) but still finished rather fast.

dessertrat
10-08-2008, 18:23
You can do it, but may not enjoy it. Or maybe you will, who knows. But I would say go super light, be in good shape from the start, and make sure you rise at the crack of dawn every day, because you will be starting at a time of year when the days are not long. It would be easier to just do long days, if you were starting in May or June.

tucker0104
10-10-2008, 15:00
I am looking for someone who starts before March. I have a time limit too. Not 90 days but I will try and keep up with you and if I can't then you are on your own.