PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Staunton, VA to Rockfish Gap?

honu
09-22-2008, 00:17
I'm hoping to take off in early October for a 2-3 week section hike SOBO from Rockfish Gap.

I can get to Staunton on AMTRAK. But I need advice on getting from Staunton to Rockfish Gap. Is there a shuttle I can take from Staunton to Rockfish Gap? Would taking a taxi be feasible?

Alternatively, there appears to be a county bus that will get me from Staunton to Waynesboro. What are my options for a shuttle or taxi from Waynesboro to the trail head?

The other possibility is to drive to Waynesboro and leave my car there. Is there someplace to park my car for the 2-3 weeks I'll be on the trail?

Thanks.

Blue Jay
09-22-2008, 07:52
There is a bus. This year I was waiting for it at the Walmart in Waynesboro and a nice young lady took me to the train station in Staunton. People are very friendly in this part of the world so I would hitch if I were you.

DAKS
09-22-2008, 07:54
if you decide to drive yer' car, you can park at the rockfish gap visitor center just off of I-64 and the BRP. just let the kind people at the visitor center know how long yer' car will be there. they have you register your itinerary, type of vehicle and return date in a log book. i've left my car there many times with no problems. good luck!

honu
09-24-2008, 00:14
Thanks for the info. Looks like getting to Rockfish Gap should not be a problem.