PDA

View Full Version : Making Campmor 20 deg. bag into a quilt

Terraplane
09-22-2008, 18:04
I use a HH hammock with JRB Winter Nest UQ and want a 20-25 degree quilt. I have a Campmor down bag with 550 feathers which weighs 36 oz. I am thinking about emptying it, cutting it down narrower and refilling with 900 down. It has 19oz of down now and I think if I leave the footbox end fill as is and put 9-12 oz of better quality down it it would be a pretty good bag. Fabric is 1.8 oz taffeta per web site. Good idea or should I just make a new quilt like the one from Thru-hiker? I need it to be usable to about 20 degrees.

Terraplane

kayak karl
09-22-2008, 18:36
I use a HH hammock with JRB Winter Nest UQ and want a 20-25 degree quilt. I have a Campmor down bag with 550 feathers which weighs 36 oz. I am thinking about emptying it, cutting it down narrower and refilling with 900 down. It has 19oz of down now and I think if I leave the footbox end fill as is and put 9-12 oz of better quality down it it would be a pretty good bag. Fabric is 1.8 oz taffeta per web site. Good idea or should I just make a new quilt like the one from Thru-hiker? I need it to be usable to about 20 degrees.

Terraplane

you should check out http://www.hammockforums.net . one off the guys there made a quilt out of a goose and a sow's ear:D

Terraplane
09-22-2008, 18:47
Good one!! I have looked for a similar thread on that site and here and found nothing in archives. I'm wanting to have a light quilt about 16 oz. May have to get the wife to teach me to sew. Don't think I can talk her into another JRB quilt this year....

Terraplane

Summit
09-22-2008, 18:48
you should check out http://www.hammockforums.net . one off the guys there made a quilt out of a goose and a sow's ear:DLOL :D That might be easier than tackling a complex sleeping bag baffle system. :eek:

kayak karl
09-22-2008, 19:16
Good one!! I have looked for a similar thread on that site and here and found nothing in archives. I'm wanting to have a light quilt about 16 oz. May have to get the wife to teach me to sew. Don't think I can talk her into another JRB quilt this year....

Terraplane

look for a used 20 degree down bag (or seconds) then just cut the shape and sew edges. or just cut off zipper. i just ordered a Golite Adrrenaline 0 degree and am going to alter it for a winter quilt to match the Mt. Washington JRB.
If this will be your first time sowing, and a thin ultra lite cloth you will need to take pictures for us :)

Oh!:welcome

JumpInTheLake
09-22-2008, 21:08
It seems to me that it would be easier to sew the shape before you trim it. That way the feathers wouldn't fall out. After you trim it you could go back with a surger or a french feld seam and have a good strong edge.

Terraplane
09-22-2008, 22:50
It seems to me that it would be easier to sew the shape before you trim it. That way the feathers wouldn't fall out. After you trim it you could go back with a surger or a french feld seam and have a good strong edge.

That's what I'm thinking about doing. I have the Campmor bag now. It is 64" wide and I would probably take about 12" +/_ off that including the zipper. Could also cut off the hood on the top. I am trying to figure how much weight the bag would have left and if it would be worth $90-120 in 900 down. The kit at Thru-hiker is about $150 for a 16 oz quilt.

I attempted a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail this summer and will try again with hopefully a 8-10 lbs lighter pack.

Thanks for all your help

Terraplane

Reid
09-23-2008, 21:35
I think there's alot of ways to make errors, I'd be really really careful and remember "measure twice, cut once"

Terraplane
10-06-2008, 21:10
I found this link on making the Campmor bag into a quilt. Think I will probably make one from scratch but here is the link:

http://purebound.com/homemade/sleepingbag/

Terraplane

taildragger
10-06-2008, 21:16
If you could leave the hood attached were it would work, that would be sweet.

Terraplane
10-06-2008, 21:47
If you could leave the hood attached were it would work, that would be sweet.

That would be nice. The problem is if it is a quilt, it would be on one side. Kind of awkward! Could be cut off and used as a hat, maybe? I want to make a quilt that is close to 1 lb so am thinking lighter material and 800 or 900 down is needed.

Terraplane

taildragger
10-06-2008, 21:56
I just had the image of a hood with some extra flappage in the rear, just pull it over your head and tuck the quilt and voila, mummy bag, although it would be more useful as a hat, but my mummy quilt might be warmer than wearing a down hat to sleep.

gohawks
10-14-2008, 14:20
Thanks for the link Terraplane. I have been contemplating turning my campmor bag into a quilt for a year now. I just can't sleep confined in a mummy bag!