PDA

View Full Version : Miox filter by MSR

Doc
03-15-2004, 20:43
I just heard of the MSR Miox today. Is it a filter or treatment device? How exactly does it work? The weight of 3.5 ozs sounds great. The price of $129.00 is pretty steep, but it might be a way to save 10 ozs off my Pur Hiker. Anyone used one of these?

Doc

Rain Man
03-15-2004, 23:03
I just heard of the MSR Miox today. Is it a filter or treatment device? How exactly does it work? The weight of 3.5 ozs sounds great. The price of $129.00 is pretty steep, but it might be a way to save 10 ozs off my Pur Hiker. Anyone used one of these?

Doc

Doc, there are one or two threads from last Fall that discuss the MSR MIOX in some detail. If a Search doesn't find them, let me know and I'll look.

Rain Man

deeddawg
03-16-2004, 08:54
Doc
There's a thread over at http://backpacking.net/bbs.html in the Light Gear forum where someone just bought one of these MIOX devices. Per his scale, the unit weighs 3oz with batteries, 3.25oz when loaded with rock salt and water residue, plus another 0.25oz for the test strips and bottle. So the 3.5oz sounds like a real weight.

Try this link for the discussion: http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=42961&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

As RainMan mentions, there's lots of prior discussion on these; in a nutshell though, my understanding is the device works thus: Add some water to the device, shake it up a bit to make the water a brine solution, press the button, then it electrically converts the brine solution into a chlorine solution which you then dump into your water to be treated. Still have to wait a bit as with any chemical treatment.

Seems like a really slick device, albeit a bit pricey.