PDA

View Full Version : Top ten items!

Yukon
09-22-2008, 18:50
I'm putting this in this forum because our (my girlfriend and I) will be starting our overnighters on the long trail sections of the AT (mostly). We want to start by trying to get used to being out there and spending multiple nights on the trail. We intend to bring our own tent but may occasionally take advantage of a shelter just to see what it's like. What I'm looking for in this thread is the top ten most important things that you guys say we will need to make our overnighter hikes the most enjoyable and at the same time have all the necessities required to survive. Things like water pumps, maps, whatever you think, I'm asking the experienced people to help me out! :)

Thanks for everything in advance people!!

Lone Wolf
09-22-2008, 18:59
extremely well-fitting, comfortable shoes and packs

rafe
09-22-2008, 19:22
Decent rain gear, base layer, and a set of clean, dry clothes to change into when you get to camp. Obviously, a reliable tent and properly-rated sleeping bag are a must.

Yukon
09-22-2008, 19:24
Say I do a five day, 4 night hike, so I need to bring much more clothing?

rafe
09-22-2008, 19:29

Up to you, how much weight you're willing to bear for the comfort that it brings. Most long-distance hikers learn to live with the grunge, and wear the same clothes (including socks and undies) for two, three, or more days at a time. But... given that situation, personally... that's what the "dry, clean" camp clothes are for. So you hike in a state of grunge, but at least you get to feel half-human once you get to camp.

Marta
09-22-2008, 19:56
Most hikers have at most two outfits--one for day and one for nights. (You can often get away with one, properly-chosen outfit, but two is a good number to start with.) The daytime clothing should layer up to cover all the temperatures you expect to deal with. A normal selection for fall would include synthetic shorts and a synthetic T-shirt, a light fleece or jacket, and a rain jacket and rain pants, plus a warm hat, gloves, and socks. For night wear, you'd have thin socks and a thin set of long underwear and maybe another warm hat. The nightime clothing is worn only at night and always kept clean and dry. The daytime clothing is worn every day, including putting it on wet in the morning, if need be. Personally I don't even bring extra socks, but just wear the same ones every day. I use thin socks that, if they get unspeakably dirty, can be rinsed out and worn wet the following day.

Cookerhiker
09-22-2008, 19:56
Re changes of clothes, I agree with Terrapin. To save weight, hike in one set and change into another set in camp. This is particularly important if you have rain. Changing out of wet clothes is a Godsend. If you don't have a good waterproof pack cover, pack everything in plastic bags. Don't forget extra socks.

I assume you're bringing the obvious: tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove & fuel if you're cooking. Other things IMO to consider:

You mentioned maps - good. You may also want to bring a Vermont state road map in case you have to bail out before your intended completion.
First aid kit with bandages, medical tape, Neosporin
1-2 bandanas for a myriad of uses - sweat-catching, washing in stream, use as potholder, tourniquet
Rope for clothes line (when arriving) and for bear-bagging your food which should be stored in a waterproof bag.
More on clothes - I presume you'll bring fleece or something warm along with a waterproof jacket/shell of some sort. Also bring a wool or fleece hat for evenings as it helps warm the rest of your body.
Camp shoes - your personal preference. Skip them if you're hiking in trail runners or are comfortable in your boots and want to save weight.
Should be a good time of year. Happy Trails!

Hikerhead
09-22-2008, 20:05
Don't wear no stinking underwear. It's just something else to get dirty, sweaty and to rub on you.
The only time I've had a rash is when I hiked with my undies on.

Turtle2
09-22-2008, 20:35
extremely well-fitting, comfortable shoes and packs

Especially the shoes. Make sure your toes don't bang the toe box on downhills and are wide enough to allow the foot to spread or swell. Also, a relaxed attitude. You are just taking a long walk, take you time, enjoy the trip and don't obsess with things you may have (too much of) or forgotten.

Blissful
09-22-2008, 20:52

Depends on the season. Summer, no. Early spring, late fall - need an out jacket layer, hat, gloves.

Blissful
09-22-2008, 21:01
Must have (besides the backpack and footwear):

Sleep system - bag rated for the season, pad
Shelter system - tent or tarp, tyvek groundcloth optional
Cooking / water system - stove, pan, spoon, fuel, lighter, H2O purification (but some would call that optional), water containers, food, bearbag system
Clothing - hiking, camp, raingear (adjust to the season)
Other - first aid, TP, headlamp, map for the area

And for me - hiking poles, my thermarest seat cushion, my cocoon pillows, and my camera :)

rafe
09-22-2008, 21:05
Sleep system - bag rated for the season, pad
Shelter system - tent or tarp, tyvek groundcloth optional
Cooking / water system - stove, pan, spoon, fuel, lighter, H2O purification (but some would call that optional), water containers, food, bearbag system
Clothing - hiking, camp, raingear (adjust to the season)
Other - first aid, TP, headlamp, map for the area

That's as good a list as I've seen in a long time. Concise and well-organized.

SteveJ
09-22-2008, 21:08
One thing that hasn't been talked about is food. If you're not careful, 5 days of food for 2 people can become a significant weight. Personally, I'm not a fan of the freezedried backpacking foods....expensive and don't taste good (YMMV). Instead, I browse the grocery store to find things that I can use: hamburger helper (with dehydrated cooked ground beef), zatarin's rice mixes, pre-cooked bacon, etc. With a little practice, you can move food weight from 2.5 - 3 lbs per day per person to around 1.5 lb per day per person.

Yukon
09-23-2008, 07:47
All great responses, thanks much people. The whole "bear" issue honestly has me a litte nervous because while I have seen one in the wilderness, I was armed at the time. I have no experience with being out in the woods with not protection from and animal like a bear or a big cat. I have read things like tieing up your food and what not, can someone explain more greatly this aspect of the hike? I will be hiking with poles so are they considered a last defense of sorts? Thanks again everyone :)

Lone Wolf
09-23-2008, 07:53
All great responses, thanks much people. The whole "bear" issue honestly has me a litte nervous because while I have seen one in the wilderness, I was armed at the time. I have no experience with being out in the woods with not protection from and animal like a bear or a big cat. I have read things like tieing up your food and what not, can someone explain more greatly this aspect of the hike? I will be hiking with poles so are they considered a last defense of sorts? Thanks again everyone :)

i've never hung food or been bothered by bears so can't help you. but i can tell you it's something that hikers spend WAY too much time stressing over. it's almost a non-issue

Homer&Marje
09-23-2008, 08:02
Always hang your food.

And no one mentioned Duct tape? Bring a quarter roll of duct tape, I like to re-roll it around a pen, I use the pen for my journal that comes with me, or a crossword book and duct tape for blisters. It's also a patch for any article of clothing or a tent in a pinch.

"You can re-build the world with Duct Tape and 100' of nylon rope" -My Grandfather

rafe
09-23-2008, 08:03
I've only had one up-close bear encounter in 30 yrs of hiking. The fear lasted maybe five milliseconds. It was exhilarating. I only wish I could have gotten a photo of it.

Homer&Marje
09-23-2008, 08:13
I've only had one up-close bear encounter in 30 yrs of hiking. The fear lasted maybe five milliseconds. It was exhilarating. I only wish I could have gotten a photo of it.

Same here. I was in Kings Canyon California, saw a black bear that was so scared of us it took off up a hill, ran straight into a tree and kept going.

When we were just up in NH in July Marje saw 2 bear cubs in the middle of Bondcliff, right before the Alpine Zone, She turned around and started walking back downhill where I was pumping some water, Didn't want to take the chance of Momma Bear comin down the hill. The babies took off quickly as she did though.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2008, 08:16
"always hang your food" is really not necessary

Homer&Marje
09-23-2008, 08:18
"always hang your food" is really not necessary

Your right.

Always hang it, or put it in a bear box. Bears are not mythological creatures, they do exist, and they will want your food.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2008, 08:21
Your right.

Always hang it, or put it in a bear box. Bears are not mythological creatures, they do exist, and they will want your food.

sleeping with your food in a tent asures you have food the next day. obviously you don't backpack much

warraghiyagey
09-23-2008, 08:29
sleeping with your food in a tent asures you have food the next day. obviously you don't backpack much
agreed. . .

Homer&Marje
09-23-2008, 08:35
Take whatever advice you want.

warraghiyagey
09-23-2008, 08:41
ok. . . thanks.:sun

Tin Man
09-23-2008, 08:54
Lots of good advice here... comments on what has been posted

I hang or box my food only where there is a bear line or bear box, meaning bears are known to visit the area.

I have found wicking underwear works much better than no underwear

Light camp shoes have made a big difference, at the end of the day my feet like me better and it give your boots/trail runners a chance to dry out

Treating water that comes out of a spring is silly, but I do treat pond runoff

Yukon
09-23-2008, 09:01
So who makes the best water filtration system? And does anyone have any experience with the Jetboil Helios 2.0 system?

Tin Man
09-23-2008, 09:49
So who makes the best water filtration system? And does anyone have any experience with the Jetboil Helios 2.0 system?

We use a Katahdin PUR system, but they are expensive and heavy. When the expensive replacement cartridge is done we are switching to aquamira tablets - again only for suspicious water

Lyle
09-23-2008, 10:28

Bears problems are overblown in the vast majority of non-hiker's minds. While I have had bears in my camp on a few occasions, most have been at developed campsites. None have shown any aggression towards me or other humans, just food or garbage.

If I'm in a known area of high bear activity, I hang my food or take whatever precautions are available.

If I'm camping with others who are obviously nervous about bears and don't want food left around, I'll hang my food.

If bear cables or poles are provided I use them.

If no cables or poles are provided and others are comfortable, the food goes on a mouse hanger.

If camping alone, away from shelters, I usually hang my food, mostly to keep raccoons, porcupines, and chipmunks out of it. They are a much greater threat to your gear and food.

If you don't understand how to hang a bear bag, check out this article. I like the PCT method. Whatever method you use, your food should end up a minimum of 10 feet off the ground, 4 feet out on a branch (away from the trunk), and 3-4 feet below the branch it is suspended from.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

Hope this helps and gives you some of the info you asked for. Again, about 30 years of backpacking, mostly solo, I've never felt threatened by a bear. Never considered needing a weapon against one.

Regarding water: If getting from a good looking spring (meaning no obvious animal parts, excrement, hoof prints etc.) I drink it straight. If getting from a pond, or stream I usually treat with aqua mira. Light, no bad taste. In 30 years, only one case of sickness that I attribute to water and that was due to high alkaline content in Los Animas, CO.

Strategic
09-23-2008, 11:21
Well said Lyle. You've laid out sensible precautions based on reality and given an excellent resource.

I've always done much the same and never had a problem with my food at all, from rodents or anything else. I mostly hang food to keep it away from small varmints and not have it on top of me in my hammock. I'll sometimes avail myself of the mouse trapezes at shelters if I'm hanging nearby, but mostly I just string it up. I find this an easy process (PCT method) and don't really worry about too much height except where there's bear activity.

That said, there are places you need to be careful on the trail, Lone Wolf's experiences not withstanding. New Jersey has a high bear population and one too accustomed to humans and our food. I've seen five bears on the trail there in only hiking part of the state, all relatively close. The shelters have bear boxes for a reason; they'll grab your food at any opportunity if it's the wrong time of the year or a bad natural food year. And being accustomed to people they aren't exactly shy about coming around to see what they can find. I'd never have my food on the ground in NJ, not if I wanted to make sure I kept it, anyway.

In general, it's just good practice not to give bears the association of humans and food. That's why bear bagging is just good practice; it tends to keep the bear doing what it should be and not retraining it to unnatural and (for it) unhealthy behaviors.

Tin Man
09-23-2008, 11:25
Ethan Pond campsite in NH not only has bear boxes, but they have a separate kitchen area for cooking. They do not want you cooking at your tent platform or the shelter due to the bear activity. First I have seen this.

rafe
09-23-2008, 11:50
Some trails now have regulations requiring hikers to use bear canisters. Yosemite NP, Inyo National Forest (on the PCT) and the Adirondacks, for example. No such regs (yet) on the AT, as far as I know, but bear boxes are found at some shelters in the NY/NJ area. In Shenandoah, there are "bear poles" for hanging food bags. I've yet to see a bear while hiking in New England.

kanga
09-23-2008, 11:58
and duct tape for blisters

are you serious? i really wouldn't do that unless it was the last available measure and i knew i was getting off the trail the next day. why in the world would you take raw, torn skin and put duct tape on it? try moleskin instead, it's a heck of a lot easier to get off.
i agree about the duct tape for everything else, tho. i used to wrap it around my nalgene.
(yes, wolf. nalgene's suck, i know. good dog. or was that big dog? :D)

Many Walks
09-23-2008, 12:10
We strung or locked up our food in areas of known bear activity or high density, but in other areas we kept it with us. Just a note, in existing camps the rodents may come out at night and chew through your tent to get to the food. This happened to us in Maine. In general you can always count on visiting mice in shelters. While stealth camping we had no problems at all. Also, we started hiking early in the day and were on the trail by first light. With that, we saw lots of bears, but were never challenged. Several came crashing down from trees right by the trail just to get away. "Raining Bears" is pretty exhilarating, but it proves they are more intent to avoid people than to be a threat. Enjoy your hikes.

Tin Man
09-23-2008, 12:26
I've yet to see a bear while hiking in New England.

Neither have I, but I have seen bear scat and some campsites have bear boxes.

Ziggy Trek
09-23-2008, 15:45
This is my first post (hello everyone).
Always have a way to collect and carry clean water. Have a way to keep yourself and EVERYTHING else dry. Have several ways to start a fire. Have a way to stay "unlost" and the skill to get unlost if it happens. Know exactly what hypothermia is and have a way to prevent it. Oh and don't forget, your doing all of this to have fun so have a way to be comfortable and healthy and stay that way.

Regardless of which you decide is your top ten choices; know how to get the proper use out of your gear. For example: There have been dead hikers found with really top-of-the-line gear with them which, sadly, they never learned how to use properly.
It's not the gear, it's your attitude and knowledge that makes the trek a safe success.

When selecting gear try not to be pretentious, and by all means, do not seek advice from those who sell the gear. Many superior products can be made by you, borrowed or rented before taking the plunge. Marketing is dirtier and sneakier than politics.
Whatever you decide on, learn how to use it, test it and practice with it. Also know how to fix it or do without it.
There is never a "BEST" anything (I learned that from reading Sgt. Rock.)
Read the ARTICLES on the Witeblaze homepage. The Authors have shared some of the most valuable advice in one easy location. It absolutely brilliant! This place is like a university for hikers with the best professors on the trail! Even that guy, Lone Wolf.:D

Lyle
09-23-2008, 15:49
It's not the gear, it's your attitude and knowledge that makes the trek a safe success.

Very true, good post.

Welcome! :welcome

Wags
09-23-2008, 16:01
welcome neighbor! thank you for bringing this back on topic instead of the played out "should you hang food or not" arguement that is sooo lame

my top 10:
1 water + filtration of some sort
2 shelter
3 rain jacket/poncho
4 knife
5 1st aid kit
6 cook system
7 food
8 cell phone
9 insulating top regardles of season
10 extra socks

Mags
09-23-2008, 16:24
The most important item to bring is a good attitude.

Everything else will fall into place.

Tin Man
09-23-2008, 16:41
The most important item to bring is a good attitude.

Everything else will fall into place.

I always bring my good attitude scotch - fixes any issues in a hurry

Summit
09-23-2008, 16:47
Don't wear no stinking underwear. It's just something else to get dirty, sweaty and to rub on you.
The only time I've had a rash is when I hiked with my undies on.That's because you have experienced only one of three causes of inner thigh chaffing for men. Other causes are rubbing from thigh-to-thigh, and the other is rubbing from thigh-to-scrotum, which is the most common and painful. If a person's anatomy puts them at risk for either of these two causes of chaffing, your advice just dooms them to the absolutely worst chance of having problems!

Only rubbing/chaffing from underwear seams is solved by going commando.

For the two chaffings: thigh-to-thigh, and thigh-to-scrotum, the best defense is compression underwear and Body Glide (or Gold Bond or similar non-greasy, healing salve).

Summit
09-23-2008, 17:00
Top Ten Items: I'm putting this in this forum because our (my girlfriend and I) will be starting our overnightersHmmm, girlfriend? Breaking her into hiking?

1. WINE
2. Wine
3. wine
4. Wine glasses
5. Cork screw
6. Book to identify flowers
7. Warm sleeping bags
8. 3-person tent (room for your stuff and yourselves)
9. Comfortable Big Agnes Air mattresses
10. Good cheese (to go with the wine)!

jhick
09-23-2008, 17:05
Hmmm, girlfriend? Breaking her into hiking?

1. WINE
2. Wine
3. wine
4. Wine glasses
5. Cork screw
7. Warm sleeping bags

wine and a BA air mattress.... good point!

Hooch
09-23-2008, 17:48

1. WINE
2. Wine
3. wine
4. Wine glasses
5. Cork screw
7. Warm sleeping bags

You forgot a Sherpa to carry all that crap. :D

russb
09-23-2008, 18:13
Some trails now have regulations requiring hikers to use bear canisters. Yosemite NP, Inyo National Forest (on the PCT) and the Adirondacks, for example. No such regs (yet) on the AT, as far as I know, but bear boxes are found at some shelters in the NY/NJ area. In Shenandoah, there are "bear poles" for hanging food bags. I've yet to see a bear while hiking in New England.

note: In the Adirondacks, a bear canister is only required by law in the Eastern High Peaks Region. http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7512.html

slow
09-23-2008, 19:06
0ne tab of Esbit.:)

Mags
09-23-2008, 19:14

1. WINE
2. Wine
3. wine
4. Wine glasses
5. Cork screw
7. Warm sleeping bags

Damn..that's a great list! The only thing I'd add differently is change wine to CHOCOLATE.

:)

Mags
09-23-2008, 19:15
You forgot a Sherpa to carry all that crap. :D

If it means getting your honey into backpacking, I'll carry WINE, Wine and wine! :D

Summit
09-23-2008, 19:48
Damn..that's a great list! The only thing I'd add differently is change wine to CHOCOLATE.

:)I'm with you there . . . the list has been perfected! :D How could I have left out the chocolate? :rolleyes:

WetBottom
09-23-2008, 19:52
So, if I pretend to not like backpacking, my man will carry me HOW many bottles of wine? :D

Marta
09-23-2008, 20:57
Men are amazing. My sweetie of these many years (33 and counting) will carry all sorts of stuff for me...and I'm the one who likes backpacking!

Summit
09-23-2008, 22:07
If it means getting your honey into backpacking, I'll carry WINE, Wine and wine! :DAnd maybe 10 lbs of sensuously scented candles should be added to the list? :D

bfitz
09-23-2008, 22:13
Rather than think of a top ten, check out the whiteblaze articles on what to bring. In one the items are divided into categories of needs like "kitchen", "Hygiene", "shelter" etc. As long as you have what you need to fill each category you don't have to worry about specifically what items others use in said categories, just what works for you to provide for each necessity.

rafe
09-23-2008, 22:28
Rather than think of a top ten, check out the whiteblaze articles on what to bring. In one the items are divided into categories of needs like "kitchen", "Hygiene", "shelter" etc. As long as you have what you need to fill each category you don't have to worry about specifically what items others use in said categories, just what works for you to provide for each necessity.

Blissful's post (Msg. #11 in this thread) did just that.

slow
09-23-2008, 22:37
Men are amazing. My sweetie of these many years (33 and counting) will carry all sorts of stuff for me...and I'm the one who likes backpacking!
NICE.:)But what about the feet and back for a little more,after a long day?:D

Summit
09-23-2008, 22:39
Well, while I'm having a little fun with an 'impractical' list, some of the items might actually spawn an idea or two for some folks . . . CHOCOLATE . . . yeahhhhhh! :D

slow
09-23-2008, 23:06
Blissful's post (Msg. #11 in this thread) did just that.

Wrong...if that stove dont fire...no heat.
That bic will not heat wet wood.:)

Tinker
09-23-2008, 23:25

I just finished the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine last week. I carried two short sleeved shirts, one pair of zip off pants and another pair of long pants, one fleece jacket, and one Marmot Ion windshirt. Luckily, the temperature never got below 40 and I was inside on the two nights it rained heavily, as I gambled by not taking any "real" raingear. I also took along a pair of light nylon stretch gloves and a polyester watch cap. I only wore the long non zip pants and the long sleeved lightweight polyester top to sleep in my hammock, sometimes using my fleece jacket when it was windy. I jumped into water whenever I got the chance and was able to take a shower on day 7 at the White House Landing hostel - never got really smelly. :rolleyes:

bfitz
09-24-2008, 02:42
Wrong...if that stove dont fire...no heat.
That bic will not heat wet wood.:)
Birch bark, baby.

Yukon
09-24-2008, 07:32
Yeah the wine part is a great idea for an overnighter some time, although I have no problems getting her into backpacking, she absolutely loves hiking and that's all she wants to do each weekend now. She spent five hours on the computer last night researching packs and the adirondack high peak region, she wants us to complete the 46 peaks up there so I guess that's going to be on the agenda as well! Woo Hoo!! :)

Yukon
09-24-2008, 07:33
I'm really surprised at how expensive sleeping bags are!! I never knew!!

Lone Wolf
09-24-2008, 07:55
I'm really surprised at how expensive sleeping bags are!! I never knew!!

$119 for a Campmor 20 deg. down bag ain't expensive

Cookerhiker
09-24-2008, 10:26

1. WINE
2. Wine
3. wine
4. Wine glasses
5. Cork screw
7. Warm sleeping bags

:)

I'm with you there . . . the list has been perfected! :D How could I have left out the chocolate? :rolleyes:

I was going to add chocolate but you guys beat me to it. That's precisely what my GF and I toted last week on a day hike - wine, cheese, & chocolate. But I didn't need to break her into hiking - we met on the AT.

Lyle
09-24-2008, 12:27
LW is right. Top of the line bags are expensive, and may be worth it long-term, but there are many very reasonably priced bags that are quite serviceable.

The Campmore 20* Down bag that LW mentions has a reputation as a very good budget bag.

Remember, you will be spending upwards of 1/3 of your time depending on the sleeping bag so don't begrudge spending a bit for some quality.

rafe
09-24-2008, 12:59
I'll put in a word for Mountain Hardwear "Phantom" series bags. I have two so far, one rated at 45F and one at 35F. A decent value, IMO. 800-fill down, nice and light.

Nearly Normal
09-24-2008, 14:24
A cell phone always comes in handy and you won't have to worry about bears if you take your dog along.

Homer&Marje
09-24-2008, 16:25
Ethan Pond campsite in NH not only has bear boxes, but they have a separate kitchen area for cooking. They do not want you cooking at your tent platform or the shelter due to the bear activity. First I have seen this.

Same at 13 Falls Tentsite.

Mags
09-24-2008, 16:58
I tend to agree with the Campmor down bag assessment ...

On that note, I present yet again: My favorite copy and paste! :D

From http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Backpacking-A-Beginners-Primer.html

Quality Gear on the Cheap: If you read those glossy outdoor magazines, you'd think you need a $300 pack, a $300 shell and a $300 fleece. You do not need expensive gear to enjoy backpacking. Often the brand name gear, besides being expensive, is heavy, bulky and overkill for what is supposed to be for the simple joy of walking.

Though written for the Appalachian Trail, the general concepts apply for quality gear on the cheap:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Some additional information I will add is that you should invest in a decent sleeping bag. The Campmor down bag is rated to 20F and is known as a good budget bag.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226

If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an army liner jacket (mentioned in the above article, but deserves to be emphasized) : http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

If you don't mind a bit of sewing, you can make a Montbell Thermwrap clone for less than $20 with the above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz! Considering a Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for those on a budget on who need something warm, light and cheap!

Check it out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

Needlong underwear, hats, socks, hats, mittens, etc? Check out Warm Stuff Distributing (formerly known as the Underwear Guys) http://www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/) All the basics at excellent prices. The items tend to be off-brand, surplus and/or factory irregulars. However, I personally think the off-brand, surplus or irregular is as good (and sometimes better than) the Patagucci clothing. Sometimes warmer, sometimes lighter weight... always cheaper!

Finally, for high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve polyester dress shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking.

The shirt has a handy front pocket that I can stick a map in, too!

rafe
09-24-2008, 17:03
Is "Warm Stuff Distributing" the same as fiddlehead's outfit? I have a minor complaint about some silk stuff I got from them. The waistband is a killer!

Mags
09-24-2008, 17:17
Is "Warm Stuff Distributing" the same as fiddlehead's outfit? I have a minor complaint about some silk stuff I got from them. The waistband is a killer!

It is indeed.

I've used stuff of theirs in the past and have been happy. Never used the silk, though.

I just like how all the basics are easily accessible and cheap! :)

rafe
09-24-2008, 17:32
The waistband is sized for a 20 inch waist, if that. Unfortunately, mine's a whole lot bigger than that. All attempts to stretch it out have failed.

bfitz
09-24-2008, 17:59
A cell phone always comes in handy and you won't have to worry about bears if you take your dog along.Excellent advice!

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2008, 18:21
If you bring a dog, you won't have to worry about seeing any other wildlife up close, either. :-?

Tin Man
09-24-2008, 18:26
If you bring a dog, you won't have to worry about seeing any other wildlife up close, either. :-?

or minnesota smith :D

slow
09-24-2008, 19:27
Birch bark, baby.

Why waste time?One tab with a 10 min burn time.:)

rafe
09-24-2008, 20:10
Why waste time?One tab with a 10 min burn time.:)

I used to get several hours out of a tab. The purple ones were best. ;)

bfitz
09-24-2008, 21:33
Why waste time?One tab with a 10 min burn time.:)I dunno. You might not have one on you? And weren't esbit tabs invented by the Nazis? :p

fiddlehead
09-24-2008, 21:51

Yes, Warmstuff Distributing is the name of our business although www.theunderwearguys.com is one way to get there.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the silks.
We've been selling that line of silk long underwear since 2002 I believe.
We had (only) one similar complaint in the past about the waistband.

I am going to assume the one you got is not the normal waitband and perhaps there is something wrong.
Our regular policy is a no questions asked 30 day, money back return policy.

However, i think perhaps your 30 days is expired???
If you believe it was defective all along, I'll honor a return for you IF we see similar defective product.
The address is on the website.

ps. we do get a lot of positive reviews on those same silks.

Nearly Normal
09-24-2008, 22:04
If you stay in the shelters include a mouse trap in your gear list.

WetBottom
09-24-2008, 22:08

Naughty, naughty... :sun

rafe
09-24-2008, 22:17
Yes, Warmstuff Distributing is the name of our business although www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com) is one way to get there.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the silks.

The silks are fine. I've gotten a lot of use out of them. But that waistband is insanely tight... and has resisted all my attempts to stretch it out. The bottoms are size L and yet the waistband, before stretching, is less than 24". Just thought you might want to know.

tight-wad
09-24-2008, 22:42
1. You are planning to sleep in the shelters? A stick of bug bite / anti itch stuff. I'm sensitive to some bugs, it seems they like me, and I get bit 1/2 the time I sleep in a shelter.
2. Thick pad. Shelter floors are HARD.
3. Gold bond. Worth its weight in gold. This stuff is a miracle worker! I wind up using it every trip: my self given trail name is SWEAT, "Slowly Walking, Enjoying the AT", while perspiring profusely!!!
4. Change of clothes, my name is Sweat. But, if it even looks like it might rain, wait till later to put them on. I miscalculated once and was wet for 4 days. Not fun.
5. Stop AT a shelter, but don't sleep IN the shelter. Unless your really, really want your privacy.
6. Bears are rare, but always hang your food, if for no other reason than to keep the other critters away.
7. Carry a "dirty water" jug to ferry water from the source to the shelter / camp site. Sit and pump, or whatever, instead of squatting over a puddle. Sometimes it might be a long way to water. If necessary, use a bandana over the mouth of your water bottle to keep the worst of the trash out.
8. Stop to smell the roses, take lots of pictures! Disposable cameras are just fine, a whole lot lighter, they don't need batteries, and you don't have to worry about "hurting" them. Plus, wally's world can put your pix on a disk. Take pix with the people you know and love (including you) in them. If you want great scenic shots, buy the postcard.
9. Hiking poles. A whole lot of controversy on this issue by a lot of folk, but for me the issue is closed.
10. Pack one paper towel in each meal bag. I "freezer bag cook" so its easy to add a paper towel to the freezer bags.

Bonus: take something you enjoy to kill the time between dusk and bedtime: beverage, reading material (I like to read the maps and trail guides), cigar (I won't go there), 2 of you? deck of cards, radio...

kanga
09-25-2008, 08:05
that's not necessarily true, jack. i take both of my dogs who walk behind me and we quite frequently see deer and other wildlife. i'd say pretty close to how much i see when i hike alone. i guess it just depends on whether you have wild dogs or not.

SteveJ
09-25-2008, 09:21
that's not necessarily true, Jack. i take both of my dogs who walk behind me and we quite frequently see deer and other wildlife. i'd say pretty close to how much i see when i hike alone. i guess it just depends on whether you have wild dogs or not.

I've never seen a bear on the trail. After walking behind someone on the trail last year who saw 2 bear on their first AT trip (and I've seen none on the trail), I knew it was either the fact that I always hike with a dog, who never barks on the trail, or sons / Boy Scouts, who always talk! I'm beginning to think the reason is the latter!

Yukon
09-25-2008, 09:47
So we spent 4 hours at our local EMS last night talking with a kid who was absolutely great to deal with and extremely knowledgeable, saying pretty much everything all you guys have been saying in this thread! :) So we got fitted for everything we wanted and are going back tonight to make the purchase of EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING LOL....Boots, packs, bags, cooking stuff, clothing, new leatherman tool for me, you name it, we are getting it. It's our christmas gift to eachother, so we just decided to say heck with it and get everything. Thanks so much for all your input guys, it is much appreciated and I look forward to years and years of trail miles ahead and peak bagging! I'll see all around the forums and hope to meet some on the trail someday! :)

NICKTHEGREEK
09-25-2008, 10:33
I'm putting this in this forum because our (my girlfriend and I) will be starting our overnighters on the long trail sections of the AT (mostly). We want to start by trying to get used to being out there and spending multiple nights on the trail. We intend to bring our own tent but may occasionally take advantage of a shelter just to see what it's like. What I'm looking for in this thread is the top ten most important things that you guys say we will need to make our overnighter hikes the most enjoyable and at the same time have all the necessities required to survive. Things like water pumps, maps, whatever you think, I'm asking the experienced people to help me out! :)

1-Roll of toilet paper/day
2-9 -whatever else falls to hand on the way out of the house.

Women seem to think the TP is essential for some odd reason.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-25-2008, 10:38
Here's to Owsley

Nearly Normal
09-25-2008, 13:31
So we spent 4 hours at our local EMS last night talking with a kid who was absolutely great to deal with and extremely knowledgeable, saying pretty much everything all you guys have been saying in this thread! :) So we got fitted for everything we wanted and are going back tonight to make the purchase of EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING LOL....Boots, packs, bags, cooking stuff, clothing, new leatherman tool for me, you name it, we are getting it. It's our christmas gift to eachother, so we just decided to say heck with it and get everything. Thanks so much for all your input guys, it is much appreciated and I look forward to years and years of trail miles ahead and peak bagging! I'll see all around the forums and hope to meet some on the trail someday! :)

Snakebite kit and bear spray too??:D

Careful dude.
Salesman do love to sell.
They caught me a good one at first bat.
A lot of us have replaced a lot of gear as we learned. Just saying...

Yukon
09-25-2008, 13:49
Snakebite kit and bear spray too??:D

Careful dude.
Salesman do love to sell.
They caught me a good one at first bat.
A lot of us have replaced a lot of gear as we learned. Just saying...

Yeah I took it all into consideration, believe me, I'm a good shopper. I have researched this stuff for months now and the kid wasn't trying to sell me anything, he was just helping me out with fitting and what not of the stuff I wanted. I was just pointing out that he was a cool kid to talk to and had real enthusiasm towards hiking/backpacking/kayaking/etc. etc....I was in retail in high school, I know the angles of salesmanship lol...

jhick
09-25-2008, 14:54
Here's to Owsley

packs small and weighs next to nothing....

Summit
09-25-2008, 16:17
So we spent 4 hours at our local EMS last night talking with a kid who was absolutely great to deal with and extremely knowledgeable, saying pretty much everything all you guys have been saying in this thread! :) So we got fitted for everything we wanted and are going back tonight to make the purchase of EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING LOL....Boots, packs, bags, cooking stuff, clothing, new leatherman tool for me, you name it, we are getting it. It's our christmas gift to eachother, so we just decided to say heck with it and get everything. Thanks so much for all your input guys, it is much appreciated and I look forward to years and years of trail miles ahead and peak bagging! I'll see all around the forums and hope to meet some on the trail someday! :)Merry Christmas!!! I swear it comes earlier every year! :eek: :p :D

kanga
09-26-2008, 11:08
I've never seen a bear on the trail. After walking behind someone on the trail last year who saw 2 bear on their first AT trip (and I've seen none on the trail), I knew it was either the fact that I always hike with a dog, who never barks on the trail, or sons / Boy Scouts, who always talk! I'm beginning to think the reason is the latter!

i've seen a bear two different times while with my dogs. they were seriously tense moments, but my dogs stayed behind me, sorta frozen and the bears ambled off both times. however, when i hike with people, i rarely see wildlife of any kind besides squirrels and birds. humans are very noisy.

bumpass
09-26-2008, 12:58
Always hang your food.

And no one mentioned Duct tape? Bring a quarter roll of duct tape, I like to re-roll it around a pen, I use the pen for my journal that comes with me, or a crossword book and duct tape for blisters. It's also a patch for any article of clothing or a tent in a pinch.

"You can re-build the world with Duct Tape and 100' of nylon rope" -My Grandfather

If you use hiking poles, re-roll duct tape around the poles just under the grips. That way it is instantly handy.
I can get a blister when a toe rubs wrong against another. Wrapping the culprit with a little tape each morning does the trick!
Change it out every season for fresh stuff or just be sure it still sticks.
Long live duct tape!

Nearly Normal
09-26-2008, 14:33
My duct tape is only nearly handy. Is that normal?

SteveJ
11-06-2008, 18:05
[quote=tight-wad;701293]1<clip> 3. Gold bond. Worth its weight in gold. This stuff is a miracle worker! I wind up using it every trip: my self given trail name is SWEAT, "Slowly Walking, Enjoying the AT", while perspiring profusely!!!<clip>

completely agree about the gold bond - but be careful if you're also packing Dr. Bronner's peppermint!

http://www.themountainculture.com/2008/09/25/be-careful-where-you-put-that-stuff/

:eek:

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2008, 18:43
Haven't read this whole thread, so most of this has surely been covered, but here are 10 things off the top of my head:

*Tent, tarp or other personal shelter, so you're not dependent on shelters
*Appropriate sleeping bag, blanket, or quilt, depending on the season
*Probably a sleeping pad of some sort as well
*Additional warm and dry clothes, especially good fitting footwear and extra
socks; you'll probably want raingear of some sort as well
*A backpack sufficient for your needs and gear
*Sufficient food and water at all times, including plenty of snacks
*Map, compass, guidebooks, and familiartity with same
*Headlamd with extra batteries
*Stove, fuel, cookset, utensils, including a decent knife
*Water bottles, carrier, and purification system of some sort

That's ten. Add to this small first aid and repair kits; duct tape; 50' of
parachute cord; lighter or other firestarter; two or three bandanas; a camera.
Depending on the time of year, you'll probably want insect repellent. Early or later in the season, you may want extra clothing. And bring some extra ziplock bags of diffeent sizes; you'll find all sorts of uses for them.

nitewalker
11-06-2008, 19:31
Neither have I, but I have seen bear scat and some campsites have bear boxes.

seen one for all of 1.5 seconds on the dry river trail during the 1st week of august 07. 1st and only.. i did see a moose this past july on the dry river trail and got a pic. the pic is in my gallery

Erin
11-06-2008, 23:18
Mole skin. If you get a hot spot, stop and treat it... it only takes a few minutes. I saw thrus stopped and holed up because of feet issues and blisters. I am only a section and weekend hiker, but I take care of my feet. As hard as it is, and it was hard with no water last year, and dusty dry, I used my allotted wet wipes on my feet at the end of the day or early in the moring. My AT hiker older brother gave me the "take care of your feet" lecture years ago and I have always used it and never regretted taking the extra time to do that.

zero day
11-06-2008, 23:26

A good walking staff. I'm not a fan of trekking poles, but a good staff (Leki is a good brand) can be a big help in stabilizing you especially on wicked descents.

Jim Adams
11-06-2008, 23:27

...if duct tape won't fix it...it's broke!:D

geek

Jim Adams
11-06-2008, 23:37
For the two chaffings: thigh-to-thigh, and thigh-to-scrotum, the best defense is compression underwear and Body Glide (or Gold Bond or similar non-greasy, healing salve).

Tried compression undies, body glide, lubes, wicking undies, non-wicking undies...the ONLY thing that works for me for thigh-to-scrotum is commando under my kilt...especially in high heat.

geek

Jim Adams
11-06-2008, 23:48
Here's to Owsley

NICE!!!!!!!
Almost forgot.

geek

Rockhound
11-07-2008, 20:24
top 10 items? moonshine, tobacco, bacon, portable TV, a very long extension cord, my good luck anvil, an ample supply of fireworks, a good book (i recommend War and Peace), a ferret, and a lighter.

Jim Adams
11-07-2008, 20:47
top 10 items? moonshine, tobacco, bacon, portable TV, a very long extension cord, my good luck anvil, an ample supply of fireworks, a good book (i recommend War and Peace), a ferret, and a lighter.
....were you camping with Owsley?:D

geek