PDA

View Full Version : Miox filter by MSR

Doc
03-15-2004, 20:48
I just heard of the MSR Miox today. Is it a filter or treatment device? How exactly does it work? The weight of 3.5 ozs sounds great. The price of $129.00 is pretty steep, but it might be a way to save 10 ozs off my Pur Hiker. Anyone used one of these?

Doc

tribes
03-15-2004, 21:32
I see that that is the 3.5 oz, but is that with or without the two batteries it requires to operate??? Just something to consider......

Doc
03-16-2004, 08:51
I have found the earlier posts about the Miox. I hadn't realized that they have been out for a while. After reading the posts it sounds too wizbang for me. That's Maine talk meaning the same as high-tech. I have not encountered anyone on the AT using one of these yet, so that's probably telling me something.

Doc

deeddawg
03-16-2004, 09:16
I have not encountered anyone on the AT using one of these yet, so that's probably telling me something.I wouldn't let it tell you too much, I believe the device has been available for purchase for only a couple months, although it was announced a fair bit ago. Between the availability and the price I would be surprised if I saw many on the trail at this point.

I'd say give it a season and then evaluate real world usage experiences -- I think it has promise; the MIOX technology itself is proven and in use in a number of municipal water systems (see www.miox.com ).

tlbj6142
03-16-2004, 10:09
MIOX is a great device. Works just like Aqua Mira. As it uses Chlorine Dioxide to kill bad guys. With MIOX you use electricity and salt to produce the ClO2 rather than mixing chemicals (a la Aqua Mira).

Given its price it seems to be geared more for the small group (2-4) scenario rather than as a solo device. As it would take something like 9-10 AM kits before you would break even. And for short trips, AM wins out on the weight efficency (assuming you rebottle your AM).

Jimbo0104
03-16-2004, 17:30
My younger brother and I went together and purchased one. I'll be trying it out starting tomorrow. Ill let you know what I find out about it.

Rain Man
03-16-2004, 18:28
I just heard of the MSR Miox today. Is it a filter or treatment device?

It's a water treatment, not a water filter. So, you might be drinking safe water ... but with dirt and sediments, etc. in it.

Some folks suggested a coffee maker filter, or a bandanna, to "filter" the water of major yuck.

Rain Man