PDA

View Full Version : Roland Mueser passes away

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2004, 23:34
Roland E. Mueser, author in 1998 of "Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail", died March 9 after an extended illness. He was 80 years old. "Roly," a fixture for many years at the annual Gathering of the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association, hiked the Trail in 1989 and then surveyed his fellow hikers for the book. More than 150 responded, and the Harvard-trained physicist painted an extraordinary picture of the group in words and numbers. Memorial services were held last Saturday in Mountain Lakes, N.J.

Lugnut
03-16-2004, 00:42
One of the better books. Hate to hear the news.

nlaing
03-16-2004, 09:16
I'm reading his book now. Sad to hear the news.

Peaks
03-16-2004, 09:45
We should repeat his survey. Certainly gives good insite into long distance hiking, and many wonder how things have changed since 1989,

nlaing
03-16-2004, 09:47
One thing I've noticed so far is that no one used home-made pepsi can stoves. One guy used a plate with alcohol on it to boil water.

Peaks
03-16-2004, 09:57
One thing I've noticed so far is that no one used home-made pepsi can stoves. One guy used a plate with alcohol on it to boil water.

Certainly that's one of the changes. Many of the changes over the years include equipment. Treking poles are much more common today then years ago. External frame packs were 50%. Probably 5% now.

There seems to be a perception that start dates are now earlier, but we don't know.

Blue Jay
03-16-2004, 10:16
Certainly that's one of the changes. Many of the changes over the years include equipment. Treking poles are much more common today then years ago. External frame packs were 50%. Probably 5% now.

There seems to be a perception that start dates are now earlier, but we don't know.

Peaks, almost every last thing has changed except putting one foot in front of the other. Face it, Rolands book is a great book about the history of the AT. It has very little to do with the present. It's like using a World War 2 book to tour Germany. As for people starting earlier, we know. Hell, Wingfoot was even hiking way back then ( I could be wrong about that).

Kozmic Zian
03-16-2004, 11:09
Yea....... Reinhold was the 1st to Up Everest with no oxygen, right? An incredible feat at the time. Also, how many summits of the 8'000's did he have? How many time up Everest? A great mountaineer....a great loss to the adventurers world. KZ@

gravityman
03-16-2004, 11:14
Yea......Muesser. Roland was the 1st to Up Everest with no oxygen, right? An incredible feat at the time. Also, how many summits of the 8'000's did he have? How many time up Everest? A great mountaineer....a great loss to the adventurers world. KZ@

Uh... that was Reinhold Messner, not Roland Meuser.

Jack Tarlin
03-16-2004, 12:06
Gravityman---thank you for pointing that out. Very amusing!