PDA

View Full Version : SNP 3 day approx 30-40 mile recommendation?

Goon
09-23-2008, 11:03
I did some searching but can't quite find what I'm looking for. Most recommendations I've found have been too short.

I'm wanting to find a good 30-40 mile loop in the Shenandoah National Park that would be good this time of year (October). I want to do 3 days and I'm used to doing 12-16 miles per day.

Blissful
09-23-2008, 13:42
Finding a circuit hike of that length would be tough as there is no trail I know of that parallels a 20 mile length of the AT- except maybe for the Moormans River Trail, Moormans Rd area - might check that, starting at Turk Gap. You could do that part, head back up the mtn, cross the Skyline Drive and venture into the Trayfoot mtn, Austin mt Furnace mtn area, looping back via the AT and to your starting point. Not alot of poelpe out there. Water at Moormans, not sure about water in the other area though in that section, except at the Blackrock spring off Paine Run. Get the PATC southern SNP map to look it over.

wilconow
09-23-2008, 13:52
SNP is a narrow land area, thus making a 30+ mile loop pretty difficult to arrange

I would recommend the ranges directly west, Massanutten Mtn or Great North Mountain. They're not that much further away, the trails are well maintained and imo just as nice, if not nicer than SNP. The PATC has great maps and guides for that area, with loop recommendations.

juma
09-23-2008, 13:55
I did some searching but can't quite find what I'm looking for. Most recommendations I've found have been too short.

I'm wanting to find a good 30-40 mile loop in the Shenandoah National Park that would be good this time of year (October). I want to do 3 days and I'm used to doing 12-16 miles per day.

SNP-north section: how about compton gap to the neighbor mountain trail on the AT, then loop back on neighbor mountain knob mountain trail to thornton mountain trail to matts arm campground and reconnect with the AT. walk to gravel springs and take the harris hollow/bluff mountain trail back to the parkway and roadwalk to compton gap.

there is a lot of trails around the matts arm campground that can be combined. I really like the neighbor mountain loop and bluff mountain trail.

juma

Goon
09-23-2008, 13:56
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm new to VA so nearby recommendations are also welcome!

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2008, 14:03
Make sure you take some warm gear for the nights. I imagine it's starting to get really cool up there at night; down here in Florida seems like summer all of a sudden is over.

Goon
09-23-2008, 14:12
I could only be so lucky! I LOVE winter backpacking. :)

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2008, 14:35
FWIW: http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

Skyline
09-23-2008, 15:46
Here's one I've done before:

•Park at Beahms Gap (SDMP 28.5).

•Hike AT north to Thornton River Trail connector, turn right to descend to Skyline Dr.

•Cross Skyline Dr., continue to descend Thornton River Trail to junction with Hull School Trail.

•Turn left, ascend Hull School Trail to high point at Fork Mt. Trail junction, and then continue to descend Hull School Trail to Piney Branch..

•Ford Piney Branch, then ascend Piney Branch Trail to Pole Bridge Link Trail.

•Turn right on Pole Bridge Link Trail, to Keyser Run Fire Rd.

•Turn right and descend Keyser Run Fire Rd. to bottom, cross parking lot, and switch over to Little Devils Stairs Trail.

•Ascend Little Devils Stairs Trail until it ends at "Fourway," back on the Keyser Run Fire Rd.

•Turn right, ascend Keyser Run Fire Rd. to Skyline Dr.

•Cross Skyline Dr., take short connector to AT.

•Turn left on AT, follow it SOBO back to Beahms Gap.

For more miles, take the Jeremys Run Trail loop (at intersection south of Elkwallow Gap) using Jeremys Run Trail to Neighbor Mt. Trail, then back on the Neighbor Mt. Trail to the AT which you would then follow south to Beahms Gap.

There are camping possibilities on this route along the Thornton River Trail (bottom half), Piney Branch Trail (bottom third), Pole Bridge Link Trail (close to junction with Piney Branch Trail), Little Devils Stairs Trail (lower half), and the AT, south of Elkwallow Gap, near junction with Jeremys Run Trail). Also camping possibilities along Jeremys Run if you take the longer option.

For detailed hike descriptions, see Appalachian Trail Guide to Shenandoah National Park with Side Trails, and study PATC Map 9 for SNP's North District. Available online at www.potomacappalachian.org (http://www.potomacappalachian.org).

Skyline
09-23-2008, 15:50
Make sure you take some warm gear for the nights. I imagine it's starting to get really cool up there at night; down here in Florida seems like summer all of a sudden is over.

Good advice about the clothing, but it's usually been in the 40s or even 50s here at night recently. Not exactly wintertime, unless you're in Florida.

Oh, you are . . . :banana

Twofiddy
09-23-2008, 17:17
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm new to VA so nearby recommendations are also welcome!

You could put together a loop trip of Ceader Run Trail, or White Oak Canyon Trail, and a hike across the top of Old Rag Mountain.

Start at the Rt600 Parking Lot or the parking Lot for Old Rag Mountain. Take the Old Rag Trail up over the summit of Old Rag. (I dont know what the trail name is here now that connects over to the AT or near the AT. Then you hike north, and take one of the other two mentioned trails back down to one of the parking lots at or near Rt 600. There would be a minor road walk between the two parking areas when you are finished.

Total distance would be around 40 miles.

juma
09-23-2008, 20:47
you could also thru hike the massanutten trail - 70 miles around - and get the thru-hiker t-shirt. really good prep for pennsylvania.

juma

Press
09-23-2008, 21:36
You could put together a loop trip of Ceader Run Trail, or White Oak Canyon Trail, and a hike across the top of Old Rag Mountain.

Start at the Rt600 Parking Lot or the parking Lot for Old Rag Mountain. Take the Old Rag Trail up over the summit of Old Rag. (I dont know what the trail name is here now that connects over to the AT or near the AT. Then you hike north, and take one of the other two mentioned trails back down to one of the parking lots at or near Rt 600. There would be a minor road walk between the two parking areas when you are finished.

I did part of this earlier this year and second this nomination.

Twofiddy
09-25-2008, 11:21

Just FYI on this... there are a few places that are sorta closed to camping (like near the summit of old Rag) but I have never had any problems with camping near the rock ledges or overlooks as I keep a camera handy and there are always people spending the night there half awake on really dark night watching starts and on full moon nights doing other hanky panky:banana

NICKTHEGREEK
09-25-2008, 16:50

http://www.hikingupward.com/ is the best link for a newcomer to Nova. Pentagon City has a Hudson Trail Outfitters stores very close to the metro stop (Blue Line). There's lots of good books and freebies.

sasquatch2014
09-28-2008, 23:03
Finding a circuit hike of that length would be tough as there is no trail I know of that parallels a 20 mile length of the AT- except maybe for the Moormans River Trail, Moormans Rd area - might check that, starting at Turk Gap. You could do that part, head back up the mtn, cross the Skyline Drive and venture into the Trayfoot mtn, Austin mt Furnace mtn area, looping back via the AT and to your starting point. Not alot of poelpe out there. Water at Moormans, not sure about water in the other area though in that section, except at the Blackrock spring off Paine Run. Get the PATC southern SNP map to look it over.

That was one of the dryer areas as far as springs up on the AT itself when I just went through. Pretty much from Calf Mt shelter to Blackrock is dry.