PDA

View Full Version : E-mail/Internet on the Trail?

ZZXF
09-23-2008, 14:20
[Disclaimer: For those of you who think hiking should mean isolation from electronics, stop reading now. I both agree with you and disagree with you, but I'm not interested in starting a debate.]

Ok, so this is a dumb question that will reveal my cluelessness about technology. Is it possible to send e-mail or connect to the internet (say, to check the weather or connect to a webcast of a ball game) from a handheld device (such as a blackberry or iphone) on the trail? If so, is there a product that works better than the others?

I understand there are data networks that differ from traditional cell phone networks, and that different companies use different data networks. And I've been in fairly urban areas where my cell phone worked but my blackberry wouldn't connect to the internet. This all suggests to me that there would be no internet connectivity in the woods. But then there are all those ads that claim "the internet can't hide anymore" so maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, the reason I ask is because, if I'm contemplating carrying a cell phone and mp3 player anyway, why not get one of the devices that will do both plus 18,000 other things? But, of course, it's pointless to spend the extra dough on something like that if it's usefulness would be limited.

wrongway_08
09-23-2008, 14:23
You can while in town, around stores/homes with unsecured networks.

I carried a HP mini comupter thing and it worked fine. Ended up sending it home - just one more thing to pack and unpack.

Almost every town had a few unsecured networks to tap into.

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2008, 14:32
I imagine it depends on where you're at; I don't use a cell phone on the trail, but I listen to people and I always remember many people saying verizon provides the best coverage on the trail. But I specifically remember many saying it sucks in northern Virginia including SNP, but AT&T seems to work well in this area. I don't believe there's a resource one can go to to see what areas are good/bad for various types of service coverage, but wouldn't be surprised if a list is soon published.

wilconow
09-23-2008, 14:35
I know my blackberry with Verizon picked up a signal in Hot Springs to connect to the web and send email, I imagine all through the mid atlantic it would be fine.

jzakhar
09-23-2008, 14:39
My blackberry was good from Springer to Fontana Village, it Died there and most of the way through GSMNP. After the smokys I had good service, little spotty, but I was able to pull a signal at least once a day.

I am with verizon, so I was usually synced at 1XRTT on trail and EVDO in larger towns. 1X was good for text messages, an instant messenger like AIM and email/light web pages. You tube videos would have been a no no.

ATT was better in SNP, but I only spent one night with out service while I was in SNP.

jersey joe
09-23-2008, 15:38
You can while in town, around stores/homes with unsecured networks. Almost every town had a few unsecured networks to tap into.
This is illegal btw...unless you get permission from the store/person.
The odds of getting caught, or anyone caring to catch you is another story.

Tin Man
09-23-2008, 15:53
Just get one of these (http://www.trupoint.com/satellite_internet.html).

:D