PDA

View Full Version : Maine A.T. maps

walkin' wally
03-16-2004, 08:41
New Maine A.T. Maps and Guide are going to be collated and packaged soon by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club and should be available later this season

Walkin' Wally

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2004, 09:25
New Maine A.T. Maps and Guide are going to be collated and packaged soon by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club and should be available later this season

Walkin' WallyThat's good news, Walkin' Wally! :banana
Please let us know when we can order the new book & map set?

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2004, 17:53
Walkin' Wally, any chance they'll be available for purchase at the MATC annual meeting on April 3rd?

northface702000
05-13-2004, 07:09
I just bought the previous version a few months ago! (!!!!) Does anyone know if the topo's are much different? (logging\side roads\trail variations)

p.s. Does anyone need a research assistant? I'm obviously very good.:datz

attroll
05-13-2004, 12:39
I just bought the previous version a few months ago! (!!!!) Does anyone know if the topo's are much different? (logging\side roads\trail variations)

p.s. Does anyone need a research assistant? I'm obviously very good.:datz
I had the old ones up until this year. If you still have the old one I would still use them rather than buy the new ones right away. There are some changes but nothing drastic. For example the Avery Memorial Lean-to is not in the Bigelow's anymore. It has not been there for years. There are new Lean-to's in the Katahdin area. I think these are the Birches. I can not think of anything esle right away. So if you don't want to spend the money right now just keep the old ones and use them.

walkin' wally
05-13-2004, 17:56
Hi Attroll, Northface

I agree, I would not hesitate to use the old maps. The only (big?) re-lo I can think of would be around Daicey Pond area. I have been using the "old " maps for several years and have found them dependable. Like Troll says the Avery Col lean-to has been gone quite a while.
Another good source of info might be the Maine Appalachian Trail Club Website for updates on trail changes and maintenance. They help to fill in info for hikers between the new map publications every six years or so. There is a lot of info in their newsletter too. :)

Peaks
05-14-2004, 09:12
Hi Attroll, Northface

I agree, I would not hesitate to use the old maps. The only (big?) re-lo I can think of would be around Daicey Pond area. I have been using the "old " maps for several years and have found them dependable. Like Troll says the Avery Col lean-to has been gone quite a while.
Another good source of info might be the Maine Appalachian Trail Club Website for updates on trail changes and maintenance. They help to fill in info for hikers between the new map publications every six years or so. There is a lot of info in their newsletter too. :)

One reason why you feel comfortable using the old maps is that you have familarity with the trails in this area. I understand. I have old maps of the White Mountains that I continue to use for this reason. However, I would not recommend that people who are not familiar with the area use them. Well, maybe one generation back would be OK, but things do change over time.

walkin' wally
05-16-2004, 20:33
I would never suggest using old outdated maps. Northface has maps that I feel are still serviceable. I am just saying that he does not need to get a new set as soon as possible. Having said that, I like to get new newest maps I can but I don't think one year out of date will hurt. You are right things do change. Just my opinion.