PDA

View Full Version : Cubic Inches Question

2009ThruHiker
09-23-2008, 15:22
I am trying to see if a granite gear 3600 cubic inch pack will work for my thru hike....so far so good....1 more item to go.... can anyone tell me roughly how many cubic inches a 5 day supply of food is...2lbs per day.... ??? thanks!

Kerosene
09-23-2008, 18:37
Not sure about the volume, but it's surprisingly large. A good approximation might be the size of your sleeping bag's stuffsack, and probably a little more for 2 lbs/day. That's why you should take advantage of re-supplying every 3-4 days down south. Once you get to Maine you'll need to carry 5+ days in a few spots to avoid major detours.

Thinker
09-23-2008, 18:54
I am trying to see if a granite gear 3600 cubic inch pack will work for my thru hike....so far so good....1 more item to go.... can anyone tell me roughly how many cubic inches a 5 day supply of food is...2lbs per day.... ??? thanks!

I used the vapor trail (though it's more like 3000ci) on my thru-hike and it worked out great even with 6 days of food. 5 days of food was more like 8 by the time I hit Maine. You'll get one helluva appetite. Of course, everyone carries something different, but I could not have been happier. Good luck to you.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-23-2008, 18:54
These guys infer about 100 cubic inches per day from the chart at the bottom.
http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_details.php

Captn
09-24-2008, 10:44
I carry about 1.5 lbs per day, depending on menu, and it takes up about 140 cu inches per day of food, or 80 to 90 cu in per pound.

Thats using Freeze Dried Pro Packs, energy bars, cheese, crackers, and summer sausage for lunch, oatmeal for breakfast, and a desert or two.

If you're using foods that contain liquid figure 40 to 50 cu in per pound of food or so. Cans will be much worse.

Packaging is everything!

jesse
09-24-2008, 11:51
This is a question only you can answer, because nobody knows, what/how much you eat. I suggest you see for yourself. Put together a 5 day supply, and measure it. Load it in your pack with everything else. Do a shakedown hike with everyting. The food is not going to spoil. You can eat it over two weekend trips.

Kerosene
09-24-2008, 13:47
You may find that your appetite actually decreases for the first 10-15 days of an intensive hike, in which case 2 pounds of food per day may be too much. However, after 2 weeks, that appetite is likely to explode, perhaps to the point that you'll exceed 2 pounds per day. After 500 miles and 5-6 weeks of hiking, it's not unusual to see young males eating double-portions on the trail, and still pig-out when they hit towns!

2009ThruHiker
09-24-2008, 13:54
I carry about 1.5 lbs per day, depending on menu, and it takes up about 140 cu inches per day of food, or 80 to 90 cu in per pound.

Thats using Freeze Dried Pro Packs, energy bars, cheese, crackers, and summer sausage for lunch, oatmeal for breakfast, and a desert or two.

If you're using foods that contain liquid figure 40 to 50 cu in per pound of food or so. Cans will be much worse.

Packaging is everything!

THANKS! this is exactly what i'm looking for !

2009ThruHiker
09-24-2008, 13:55
You may find that your appetite actually decreases for the first 10-15 days of an intensive hike, in which case 2 pounds of food per day may be too much. However, after 2 weeks, that appetite is likely to explode, perhaps to the point that you'll exceed 2 pounds per day. After 500 miles and 5-6 weeks of hiking, it's not unusual to see young males eating double-portions on the trail, and still pig-out when they hit towns!

WOW! Thanks Kerosene....that is definitely something to keep in mind. I never thought about the initial time period and building up to that kind of appetite...makes sense though.