PDA

View Full Version : Back to GA I go

Kirby
09-23-2008, 18:35
I recently decided that next Spring I'm going to re-hike GA. I may go with a hiking companion I did not see after Hot Springs, NC. If I do, we'll be hitting trail from Springer on the 7th or 8th of March.

Just thought I would let you know.

Kirby

Thinker
09-23-2008, 18:56
I recently decided that next Spring I'm going to re-hike GA. I may go with a hiking companion I did not see after Hot Springs, NC. If I do, we'll be hitting trail from Springer on the 7th or 8th.

Kirby

I'm very envious of you. I read your register entries all the way to Maine when I could find them. Good luck to you! ..and congrats!

FatMan
09-23-2008, 19:10
We do certainly welcome you back. Now that my house is finished you and your friend should stop by. Only a couple hundred yards off the trail.

MOWGLI
09-23-2008, 19:14
I had the same plan in 2001, and I am so glad my good friend John suggested that we go elsewhere and discover some new trails. My unsolicited advice for you would be to discover a new trail. Like the Benton MacKaye, Foothills or Bartram Trails.

Whatever you do - have a great time.

Ron Haven
09-23-2008, 19:15
We may give you another surprise birthday party in Franklin again.

buff_jeff
09-23-2008, 19:18
I had the same plan in 2001, and I am so glad my good friend John suggested that we go elsewhere and discover some new trails. My unsolicited advice for you would be to discover a new trail. Like the Benton MacKaye, Foothills or Bartram Trails.

Whatever you do - have a great time.

I totally agree. There is nothing wrong with hitting the same trail again, but it's nice to explore a new area. I tried going over the AT again in MD and PA this summer and I got off because there really wasn't any adventure to be had for me.

Blissful
09-23-2008, 19:38
Oh Kirby...the Long Trail is calling you...

Just kidding. :)

Lone Wolf
09-23-2008, 20:26
I recently decided that next Spring I'm going to re-hike GA. I may go with a hiking companion I did not see after Hot Springs, NC. If I do, we'll be hitting trail from Springer on the 7th or 8th.

Kirby

7th or 8th of what? i've hiked GA 12 times

rafe
09-23-2008, 20:31
I can argue it both ways (new trail vs. re-visit of old.) There are parts of the AT I've hiked many times over. At least a dozen or two hikes over the Franconia Ridge. Several hikes over Moosilauke, the Presidential range, and Katahdin. It never gets old. But the JMT this summer (what little I saw...) was a real trip. I'm going back for more, for sure.

Kirby
09-23-2008, 20:40
7th or 8th of what? i've hiked GA 12 times

Sorry Wolf, I meant to add March in there.

Kirby

ASUGrad
09-24-2008, 12:51
Better to do it now, Kirby, before you are too old to do it.

Red Hat
09-24-2008, 13:07
You're never too old to hike in GA... Maine, maybe, but Georgia, never! And Weary, makes me wonder even about Maine.

Ron Haven
09-24-2008, 14:37
7th or 8th of what? i've hiked GA 12 timesLord have mercy,You've just let the cat out of the bag.:D

Kirby
09-24-2008, 15:14
Hey Ron:
I doubt I'll make it to Franklin on this trip, I'll only have 7 days. I'd have to be in cruise control to do that and with short days that might be difficult, I'll try though. Thanks again for the birthday pizza.

Kirby

Bare Bear
09-25-2008, 07:56
Enjoy the hike.
I found I did get bored this summer trying to go from Harpers Ferry to Maine again..............I got less than 125 miles before turning around and hiking back to HF. But I'll be in the Smokies mostly off the AT in October for two weeks. I think it depends on YOUR motivation (recapture that free feeling?).

Two Speed
09-25-2008, 08:24

Whatever you do - have a great time.Don't forget the Pinhoti Trail.