PDA

View Full Version : Day hike around Bear Mtn

SteveJ
09-23-2008, 19:13
Hi, all. My wife and I will be spending a 3 day weekend in New York next month (flying up to see son!). We're flying in Thursday evening, and have most of Friday to look around before meeting up with son Friday evening. I know the AT goes through Bear Mtn state park. Is this a good day hike (3 or 4 hours)? scenic views? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

rafe
09-23-2008, 21:00
It's fine. A pretty mellow hike, up from the river, and nice views from the top. Enjoy.

SteveJ
09-23-2008, 21:23
Thanks, terrapin!

Feral Bill
09-23-2008, 21:23
Multiple opportunities for loops including that short AT section. Trail maps are available from NYNJTC.

LIhikers
09-24-2008, 01:16
The AT on the east side of Bear Mountain is in terrible shape. I'd suggest going up the Major Welsch Trail, blazed red on the the east side of the mnt.and going down the AT on the west side of the mountain. Then loop back around to the start on the 1777 (or is it 1779?) trail. It isn't a long walk but enjoyable. If the weather's nice you'll see the NYC skyline from the top of Bear Moountain and you can wander through the remains of Doodletown on the way back to the starting place. In any case, if you're driving up to the park take the Palisades Parkway and stop at the visitor center to purchase a map of the park.