PDA

View Full Version : looking for housing this weekend!

Aesop
03-16-2004, 09:11
Does anyone know of a place that will take two very nice people and a much nicer dog around the McAfee Knob area (within an hour drive possibly) on Friday, March 19th and Sunday, March 21--this coming up weekend?? Our overnight plans failed! We want to camp out that Saturday night but are looking for a place to crash or whatever (when we come in) Friday night...to get an early start..and electrical outlets for the purpose of writing about the experience for Sunday night. Willing to pay of course, either home or hotel. Or will wash dishes.

Frosty
03-16-2004, 11:12
Does anyone know of a place that will take two very nice people and a much nicer dog around the McAfee Knob area (within an hour drive possibly) on Friday, March 19th and Sunday, March 21--this coming up weekend?? Our overnight plans failed! We want to camp out that Saturday night but are looking for a place to crash or whatever (when we come in) Friday night...to get an early start..and electrical outlets for the purpose of writing about the experience for Sunday night. Willing to pay of course, either home or hotel. Or will wash dishes.

Why not walk a mile or two into the woods Friday night and camp? Then you can really get an early start because you'll already be in the woods. Ditto for Sunday night. Just camp a mile or two from the road. Get up Monday morning and drive home.

Spending only one night in the woods is hectic. Surrounding a day hike with the previous and following nights in the woods will pay dividends in the pleasure quotient.

bobgessner57
03-16-2004, 11:28
4 pines hostel is a few miles away, probably less than ten road miles from the Catawba trailhead. I do not have phone # but it should be easy to track down.

Jack Tarlin
03-16-2004, 12:03
Joe Mitchell of 4 Pines is a GREAT guy and if he's around, I'm sure he'll help you. Try him at (540)-384-5090.

Aesop
03-16-2004, 13:06
All suggestions appreciated! Joe's website: http://www.fourpineshostel.com/index.htm

What a great find! Looking forward to the hike!

Aesop
03-16-2004, 13:20
Why not walk a mile or two into the woods Friday night and camp? Then you can really get an early start because you'll already be in the woods. Ditto for Sunday night. Just camp a mile or two from the road. Get up Monday morning and drive home.

Spending only one night in the woods is hectic. Surrounding a day hike with the previous and following nights in the woods will pay dividends in the pleasure quotient.
I agree Frosty. Why not stay where you are going?

Aesop
03-16-2004, 13:41
Joe Mitchell of 4 Pines is a GREAT guy and if he's around, I'm sure he'll help you. Try him at (540)-384-5090.
Have you read this?

http://mailman.hack.net/pipermail/at-l/2003-June/017200.html

Jack Tarlin
03-16-2004, 13:54
This whole matter was hashed and re-hashed TO DEATH this summer, and I don't wish to go into it here again. All that needs be said is that the account of the events at 4 Pines that is included above is extraordinarily one-sided and not entirely correct, fair, or actual. I arrived at 4 Pines the morning after the incident in question and discussed the matter at length with at least 10 eyewitnesses; their account of events is very different from the one posted above.

This has been done to death. Joe Mitchell's good name and reputation have suffered a great deal because of slanted and biased reporting of this unfortunate incident. Please note: this was a ONE time incident; hundreds and hundreds of folks have enjoyed Joe's extraordinary hospitality and never had a problem here, but we never hear about THESE folks.

Yeah, there was an unfortunate incident at this hostel. And Joe has tightened things up at his place regarding alcohol use and partying. So enough already, let it go. This is a very nice guy who runs a very nice place, and it's a dis-service to rake up one unfortunate incident and repeatedly cite it; this does NOTHING except malign the name and reputation of a very fine fellow.

If anyone wishes to continue this thread, a few questions: Were you there during this episode? Did you personally talk to anyone who was? Do you REALLY know what went on there or are you just repeating what you heard second or third-hand?

Cuz unless you really know the facts, let's let it go; a lot of nonsense has been spouted on this matter by people who either didn't have the facts, or who chose to publicize their own version of events, with little regard to the actual truth.

This was a one-time occurence, and is very unlikely to recur at 4 Pines.

Enough already. Let's move on.