PDA

View Full Version : MSR Microzoid Tent: any opinions?

dessertrat
09-24-2008, 09:25
I went back and forth on whether to get a tarptent or just a really light solo tent. I like the idea of the light weight of a tarp tent, but I also like the dual wall aspects of a light tent, with a well ventilated bug net to take along when the weather forecast is clear, leaving the fly at home.

Then I saw the MSR Microzoid on clearance online for just over $100, which seemed too good a price to pass up.

So did I screw up? Will I hate it? Should I return it? Any experiences with it?

rafe
09-24-2008, 10:15
I'm used to small tents, but the MicroZoid was too small even for me, when I set one up and crawled into it at the local REI store.

Obiwan
09-24-2008, 11:28
I am very happy with my Zoid-1

Not certain where the micro cuts the weight from....

Pedaling Fool
09-24-2008, 11:49
This looks http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/msr/tents-and-tarps/msr-microzoid-tent.html a lot like mine http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=60&id=125. It also comes in a crestone 1 version.

partinj
09-24-2008, 12:29
HI I have the Eureka Spitfire tent lot more room then the Microzoid I hat the spitfire set up in a down pore not a drop of rain got in. Here is the info on it
http://www.campmor.com/images/tents/23889.jpg

Red Hat
09-24-2008, 12:39
I have both a Zoid (Walrus from before MSR) and a Rainbow Tarptent. I love the fact that the rainbow is so light and so big, but I'll take my Zoid in the rain anyday! Several nights I sat up floating on my thermarest, watching to see how much water came in... But in my zoid, I can sleep like a baby in the worst of storms.. You didn't make a mistake, if you don't mind cozy.

John B
09-24-2008, 12:51
I have both a Zoid (Walrus from before MSR) and a Rainbow Tarptent. I love the fact that the rainbow is so light and so big, but I'll take my Zoid in the rain anyday! Several nights I sat up floating on my thermarest, watching to see how much water came in... But in my zoid, I can sleep like a baby in the worst of storms.. You didn't make a mistake, if you don't mind cozy.

Definitely do not want to hijack the thread, but do you have a bathtub floor with your tarptent? Was the problem due to rain blowing in? set up in spot that collected water? a design flaw?

rafe
09-24-2008, 12:57
I'm also curious about the water in the Tarptent. I own a Rainbow, and have managed to stay (mostly) dry so far. Though I agree that I feel a bit safer in my old Eureka Gossamer, with regard to rain.

Red Hat
09-24-2008, 13:04
Good questions, guys. I should speak up for my Rainbow, it's a great tent. Most of the problem was that since I'm so slow, there weren't any good tent spots left and I was sloped a bit in too small a spot. I do have the bathtub, but rain does blow in and if the tents not pitched just right, well, you get water. Who knew that there would be so much rain in Maine in July? Or that there would be so many large groups camping along the 100 mile wilderness?

NICKTHEGREEK
09-24-2008, 13:15
I'm used to small tents, but the MicroZoid was too small even for me, when I set one up and crawled into it at the local REI store.
Great if you are moving up from a bivy bag. If you like it, keep it.

wrongway_08
09-25-2008, 19:43
I have the micro-zoid, compact, pretty light weight weight and heavy duty. Its a great winter tent, sturdy enough to hold a great deal of snow and easy to set up while the sleet is falling on your head :) !

Its stream line and doesnt make a lot of noise in windy areas.

** If you like this tent, I would suggest the Henry Shires Tarp Tent Contrail as a summer/fall tent - lot more room, lighter and better ventilation for the hotter weather. Just a thought if you like sleeping on the cold side.

shrimp
09-27-2008, 15:45
I have a microzoid, and I love it. I haven't used it for more than weekend trips yet, but it will be going with me on my thru in '10 (well, if I can save for it). Of course, I'm 5'4", so it's very nice for me.

Peaks
09-27-2008, 20:03
I think the decision depends on how claustrophobic you feel inside the tent. Myself, I thought I wanted just a little more room, and used the Zoid 1.

There is nothing like trying on gear yourself and finding out what works best for you.

Christus Cowboy
09-29-2008, 13:07
I think the decision depends on how claustrophobic you feel inside the tent. Myself, I thought I wanted just a little more room, and used the Zoid 1.

There is nothing like trying on gear yourself and finding out what works best for you.

I just wanted to second Peak's observations here. I went with a Zoid 1 for very much the same reasons. MSR makes a solid tent for the money. the side entry of this tent design is also very good as well.

dessertrat
10-13-2008, 12:52
Update: I field tested it this weekend. It is too small for me, for anything but an emergency. My aircore pad left me too high up inside it, so that my face was almost touching the inner wall. Might have worked better with a flatter, lower profile pad, but as it was, either my feet were touching or my head was touching.

I may keep it or I may sell it. I will give it a few days thought. At least I bought it at a sale price.

two-step
10-13-2008, 13:04
I'm a massive 5'2" and fit pretty comfortably inside the zoid, but can't imagine being much bigger and getting a good night's rest. Though, I will have to say that tent seriously held up in some wicked storms while hiking the AT. You still got it at a hell of a price and should have no problem re-selling :)