PDA

View Full Version : CDT Blues

Haiku
09-24-2008, 09:27
I have about 500 miles left on the CDT, but I think the trail might have succeeded in beating the snot out of me. I tried picking up a 200+ mile section in Colorado this summer, and I'd forgotten how hard Colorado is. Largely because of a royal cockup by JetBlue Airlines I was left a few days short on my two weeks, and it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to do the miles to finish the section, so I got off at Creede. Now I still have the rest of this section to finish. It's starting to seem like work, and I don't want to hike if it isn't fun, especially if I'm going to use my vacation to do it. Any hints to get me out of my slump? I definitely have a couple of years to think about it and get back into the hiking mood, but I'm feeling a little down....

Haiku.

MOWGLI
09-24-2008, 10:01
Go do something completely different then. Try a hunk of the Florida Trail this winter. I'd recommend the Apalachicola NF and St Marks National Wildlife Refuge. It's flat as a pancake, but beautiful and full of wildlife.

Just Plain Jim
09-24-2008, 14:40
When I came out of the woods on my section hike, I felt that I didn't want to see another tree or trail ........ever.After being back home for 4 months, visiting Whiteblaze, reading my magazines, I'm back in the hiking-fever.:banana I just needed time.

neighbor dave
09-24-2008, 15:02
:-?never say die.:-?

Mags
09-24-2008, 16:33
Perhaps you are in a funk because it is taxing your body (high elevation, cooler temps, tough terrain) and the mental state is reflecting your physical state. Take a day or two off, eat a lot of good food then see how you feel.

If you are still in a funk, remember backpacking is not the only way to enjoy the outdoors.

Other great ways to enjoy the outdoors:

1) Backpacking to basecamp: Hike in a small ways to a beautiful spot and make base camp, do some hikes and really explore an area!

2) Car Camp: A variation of the above, find a secluded car camp site (easy to do in Colorado) and hike a lot!

3) Trail work: What a wonderful way to give back. Work with some great people in an awesome area. Have a real sense of stewardship. You get fed well (often get beer!) and the camping at night is awesome because the vibe is so good with the people you've made this tight bond with.

Try www.voc.org (http://www.voc.org) for some ideas. There is a great project going on this weekend. Check out the Piedra River Trail project. I'd be on it..but I'll be back East. :) It is near Pagosa Springs...not too far from Creede as well.

Just a few ideas...

We all love long distance hiking. But sometimes it is good to mix it up so you don't get burnt out. :)