PDA

View Full Version : MSR MiniWorks. Gas Buildup??

Homer&Marje
09-24-2008, 16:43
Went hiking on an overnight this weekend up in NH and had a very wierd experience while pumping water out of the pond. The Filter seemed like it slowed to a crawl,and was very hard to pump.

I thought it was dirty or something, i.e. forgot to clean it last time, or very silty pond... so I took the top of the pump off and it "exploded" when the threads came loose as if there was a large gas buildup. After more testing, with cleaner water.... pump was perfectly clean the gas kept building up in the top and it would build up so much around the ceramic filter it was pushing water back down the intake hose... This has never happened before... is it a malfunction, should I send it to MSR? or do we think that ponds filled with methane are bad drinking sources?

Bob S
09-24-2008, 20:03
Is the output hose or path the water takes clogged up? It seems like this would cause pressure if you pump it and water is going in but not coming out.

Is there a backflow or check valve (a reed valve or a ball with a spring behind it) that could be stuck or dirty?

Homer&Marje
09-24-2008, 20:25
Is the output hose or path the water takes clogged up? It seems like this would cause pressure if you pump it and water is going in but not coming out.

Is there a backflow or check valve (a reed valve or a ball with a spring behind it) that could be stuck or dirty?

Took them all out, cleaned them... nothing... there is a little black backflow valve inside under the spring and it's kind of shaped like a flat cone with a slit at the top, normally where the water goes in and a few microns width do trap particles, then it enters the ceramic faze.... but for some reason the water was "squeaking", literally, back through that, through the spring and into the intake hose and every time I popped the top off it exploded with gas a little... water filters don't fart:D

Homer&Marje
10-11-2008, 23:49
I have given up on the MSR miniworks.

I have returned 3 of them. The last one, I got 1 great use out of it. The SECOND!!! SECOND!!! Time I used it, pumping mind you out of a very clear running river, took about 11 minutes and I filled up 4 oz of water. Good Job M$R. Quality filter. I used the MSR Waterworks for 13 years, in fact that filter still works. Figured the first times might be manufacturers defects, now I have lost all confidence.

On to the new filter, $5 more I paid for the Katahdin Vario. Very nice staged filter with the option of fast flow or longer life. The longer life feature passes the water over a ceramic/carbon filter and then into the main filter. Flushed it out to try it, as manufacturers suggest to get "Harmless Carbon Dust" out of it to start, Water discoloration is normal, it's black.

But, surprisingly this filter pumps amazingly fast. All be it, a complex machine vs the miniworks, many o rings in the internal parts... So probably a little harder to maintain in the field, As long as it works though, I'd rather go through the extra 10 minutes of care and repair than have my filter not work. Some would agree, Some may not.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-13-2008, 17:09
Get a sweetwater guardian http://www.moontrail.com/hydration/guardian.html , a silt stopper pre-filter http://www.rei.com/product/611748 and a few silt stopper refills http://www.rei.com/product/611750 and live happily about 200 gallons of water at a time.
IMHO the siltstopper is worth its weight in gold (at those new prices it is) for really extending filter element life and reducing clogging.
If I was in the market again and wanted to help boost the economy I'd carry the katadyn pocket filter ,the rolls royce of water filtration, http://www.moontrail.com/hydration/pocket.html and still use the siltstopper. It's the cheapest in the long run with 13,000 gallons of life. I bought one for a scout troop and they couldn't figure out how to break it in 2 years of heavy use.

BigToe
10-13-2008, 23:35
We had exactly the same situation on this year's section hike. I've copied my message to MSR and their reply below. This is the first problem I've had with the MiniWorks and MSR's analysis makes sense to me given the circumstances. I still like the MSR MiniWorks for my needs and plan to continue with it.

One thing I'll add is that I don't think my son was as diligent in cleaning his filter as he should have been. He described to me that he typically didn't scrub the core down but would just rinse the color off. I believe this could have resulted in the large particles getting washed off while the smaller particles were driven deeper into the core over time. I scrub my core fairly aggressively and have never had a problem, even on this hike when we pumped at the same water sources. I do boil my core after every section hike.

In the same situation, next time I would try boiling the organics out.

YMMV - I hope this helps.

Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc. and your thorough explanation of your water filter problem. It is possible that the filter had some organics which clogged it and usually scrubbing will remedy the problem. If scrubbing does not work then you can actually boil the ceramic in a pot of water.

Here are some instructions:

1. Remove ceramic element from housing.
2. Remove orange oring or orings from cartridge.
3. Place ceramic element in large pot. Cover the ceramic element completely with water (room temperature) and allow room for the water to reach a rolling boil without spilling over.
4. Bring water to a boil and allow element to remain in rolling boil for 5 minutes.
5. Turn off stove and allow water to cool before removing element.
6. Air dry ceramic element completely (3-5days).
7. Wash and dry completely all other filter parts.
8. Reassemble filter.
IMPORTANT: Remember to reinstall oring or orings.

Cascade Designs Inc.
4225 2nd Ave. South
Seattle, WA 98134
1(800)531-9531
[email protected]
Quality Innovation Service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:35 PM
To: Consumer
Subject: MSR MiniWorks EX problem

Dear MSR Customer Service,

In our family we have two MSR MiniWorks EX (me and son 1) and one
Katadyn Hiker (son 2) water filters. I've tried several water filters
over the years and decided some time ago that your MiniWorks is the
superior device. We use the filters frequently during the year and then
intensively during a two week AT section hike every year. To me, one
of the most important differentiating features of the MiniWorks over
the Katadyn is the ability to field maintain and clean the filter.

This year in the midst of our section hike, we had a very disturbing
development. My son's MiniWorks filter suddenly clogged totally. The
clogging was so severe that no water output was achieved and the
housing was building up pressure that impeded opening and could be
heard popping when finally opened.

We use a coffee filter prefilter. The affected filter core was
recently replaced and had only been cleaned a couple of times before
this happened. When we disassembled the filter, the core was slightly
discolored but not unusually so. My son who is an experienced
backpacker said that he had not filtered from any unusually dirty or
tannic contaminated sources during the hike leading up to this
incident.

Usually these filters seem to clog gradually and then we scrub away a
layer, rinse, and full flow is restored. When this happened, we
disassembled the filter and cleaned the core as ususal. The strange
thing is that we were never able to restore any water output no matter
how many times we scrubbed and rinsed the core. The core acted like it
was clogged all the way through. Finally in desperation we scraped
away significant portions of the core until finally the core failed
the minimum thickness gauge test. Even at that point no real water
output could be achieved - just a trickle. We even swapped the cores
between mine and my son's MiniWorks to prove that the core was the
problem, which did prove out.

I wanted to write to see what you think could have happened. I depend
and rely on the ability to field maintain these units and the fact
that we could not bring the MiniWorks back into any kind of even
minimal operation really hurts my confidence in backpacking with it.
Often I'm out on my own with minimal chemical backup. If we didn't
have the redundancy of the other water filters it could have been very
difficult.

I look forward to your feedback and will say that I enjoy the many MSR
products I use on my hikes.

Thank you and best regards,

Andy