PDA

View Full Version : Hiking exercises?

Bidwell
09-24-2008, 16:53
Hey folks,

Just curious - are there any exercises that one can do for upper body that would help prepare for a thru-hike? Cross training? Weight training?

I trail run a lot and hike a lot and I am in good shape, but when I put on a pack, I always feel that my back suffers.

Enjoy!

- Greg:-?:confused:

Joe8484
09-24-2008, 17:09
First make sure your gear fits properly. If you determine your gear is not the problem I would then stress a core work out. Examples of specific exercises would be the plank, lower back extensions, prisoner squats and basically any ab work out. I would also add push-ups and chin-ups but that's me.

Just google "core workout" as a starting point.

Mags
09-24-2008, 17:18
Try this WB article:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

rafe
09-24-2008, 17:35
Upper body? Hmm, not so much. For legs & thighs, I do a lot of bike riding... that seems to help.

take-a-knee
09-24-2008, 17:45
I reccommend www.crossfit.com

Bidwell
09-24-2008, 17:51
I reccommend www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

I have a friend who has been raving about crossfit... I may check that out actually now that you mention it.

Bidwell
09-24-2008, 17:53
Try this WB article:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Great article... thanks for the link!

Kerosene
09-24-2008, 18:06
Don't forget your lower body! Here's the regimen I use (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=60323&postcount=8) to strengthen my weak ankles, which really helps for backpacking.

Mags
09-24-2008, 18:56
Great article... thanks for the link!

Yep. Generally the best way to get in shape for backpacking is to go backpacking. :)

K.I.S.S.

Homer&Marje
09-24-2008, 19:02
Upper body? Hmm, not so much. For legs & thighs, I do a lot of bike riding... that seems to help.

Bike riding surprisingly helps the core and upper body more than you think.

My suggestion would be, hiking a lot. Not a smart ass remark but if your gonna ride the tour de france the first thing you do is jump on a bike.

Do progressively larger mileage with weight on your back and try to get yourself up to doing one large hike at least, per month...meaning in my book a 15-20 miler.

Then again, I have just started myself getting back into good hiking shape last winter... Carrying more weight than you will on a thru just to torture your body is always good too:D That way that pack will feel like feathers.

DapperD
09-24-2008, 19:04
Hey folks,

Just curious - are there any exercises that one can do for upper body that would help prepare for a thru-hike? Cross training? Weight training?

I trail run a lot and hike a lot and I am in good shape, but when I put on a pack, I always feel that my back suffers.

Enjoy!

- Greg:-?:confused:Of course! Weight Training exercises! ( Your responsibility to be cleared by your doctor to participate) There are plenty of upper body exercises using weights that will strenghthen your back, shoulders, chest, and also your lower back. Problem is, it takes time to build muscle and benefit from weight training. Not to say you wouldn't benefit if you began weightlifting now for a next season thru-hike, but if you had begun a few years earlier you would have benefited even more! Naturally you will be using your lower body to propel you along the trail, but your upper body will be what is carrying your home on it for 5 to 6 months, and believe me your back and shoulders will soon after starting begin to "talk to you" about it if they are not prepared! As far as for which specific exercises you can do, well let me suggest visiting a well equipped and established gym and pay to talk to and be taught by a personnal trainer if you are not sure. They most likely will have the experience and the expertice to teach you exercises that will strengthen your upper body to carry weight on it. Just remember, you must also practice with carrying a fully loaded pack , this is very important as your body will not like this at first and if you are not used to doing this, your body will take some time adjusting to carrying a backpack.

Gaiter
09-24-2008, 19:07
hike w/ a pack, do your typical exercises w/ your pack, get used to it

rafe
09-24-2008, 19:24
Yep. Generally the best way to get in shape for backpacking is to go backpacking. :)

My suggestion would be, hiking a lot.

I think we have a consensus. OTOH, what to do if there are no mountains in the neighborhood? :-?

Blissful
09-24-2008, 19:36
I hiked the neighborhood with my backpack on. Still nothing prepares you except the real thing and eventually you get used to it. By Damascus (going NOBO) you will be fit and ready.

Mags
09-24-2008, 19:38
I think we have a consensus. OTOH, what to do if there are no mountains in the neighborhood? :-?

When I lived in Rhode Island, not exactly a mountainous state, there were hilly areas I could train on. Keep in mind, RI's highest point is 810 ft!

If you really are stuck, go to your local high school and walk up and down the bleachers.

Not as fun as hiking in the mountains (or even on hilly nature trails like Rhody), but it is better than sitting on the couch and vegging. :)

Joe8484
09-24-2008, 19:38

I know this is mindless and repetitive but I would find your local high school/college football field and climb the bleachers. Or even worse hop on a treadmill at a high elevation

Panzer1
09-24-2008, 19:49
At 24 years old you should already be in shape for a thru. I wouldn't waste any time exercising, just use your time to make as much money as you can before your hike.

Panzer

beeman
09-24-2008, 19:49

Then we find a football stadium or a tall building and go up and down the stairs!:eek:

Here's the bulk of the training suggestion from a hiking book I like:

The gym part is set up in 4 columns. (Sorry I couldn't make a table of it)
Exercise/ Sets/ Reps/ Purpose
ABDOMINALS
Knee in the air sit-ups/ 2/ 15/ Lower abs
Flat bench leg raises/ 2/ 15/ Upper abs
Crunches/ 2/ To your limit/ Recruit smaller abs

LEGS
Squats/ 4/ 10/ Quads, Hamstrings,Calves
Leg Presses/ 4/ 10/ Squat variation/ more control
Seated Calf Raises / 2/ To your limit/ Strengthens calves
Reverse Calf pulls/ 2/ To your limit/ Strengthens front of calf muscles

BACK
Deadlifts/ 4/ 10/ Strengthen lower back
Hyperextensions/ 2/ To your limit/ Builds mass around spine

MONTH 1 Monday gym, Tuesday short cardiovascular exercise, Wednesday gym, Thursday short CE, Friday gym, Saturday long CE, Sunday day off (The focus is on CE start each gym day with an exercise bike or treadmill, elevating your heart rate to 70% of max)
MONTH 2 Monday gym, Tuesday short CE, Wednesday gym, Thursday 5 mile hike, Friday gym, Saturday long CE, Sunday day off (Same focus as month 1 plus a hike. Carry a 30 pound pack for each hike, more than your trail pack weight. In the gym, add weight to your routine.)
MONTH 3 Monday gym, Tuesday short CE, Wednesday gym, Thursday 5 mile hike, Friday gym, Saturday 10 mile hike, Sunday day off (the 10 mile hike is your intro to long distance hiking. Carry your 30 lb pack, taking 3 to 5 hours for the hike. Take a ten minute break every hour and stretch while on the break. Bring high carbo snacks and water)
MONTH 4 Monday 5 mile hike, Tuesday long CE, Wednesday day off, Thursday 5 mile hike, Friday day off, Saturday 10 mile hike, Sunday day off ( gym time is over, muscles should be sufficient for the hike. Hiking more now, conditioning muscles, ligaments, and tendons for the trail. Once towards the end of this month, take a two day overnight hike spending the night and totaling 20 miles)
MONTH 5 Monday 7 mile hike, Tuesday day off, Wednesday 7 mile hike, Thursday day off, Friday 12 mile hike, Saturday day off, Sunday 7 mile hike ( The focus now is entirely on walking. A day on and a day off, start racking of some miles conditioning your body to walking. Sometime during the last week of this month, take a three day two night backpacking trip hiking around 35 miles over the three days.)
MONTH 6 An overnight backpacking outing each week Start the month by hiking a 20 miler on pavement with your pack. This will accent any sore point you might have, so you can correct the problem. Once a week go on a two day overnight backpacking trip covering 30 miles over two days. Over the course of the six months of training, you will have covered at least 350 miles.
The overnighters will accustom you to a routine in camp and help you pare down what you are really using from the stuff you don't and won't use. It will also help you evaluate the equipment you have if it's old, and to get it back in working order.

take-a-knee
09-24-2008, 19:53
At 24 years old you should already be in shape for a thru. I wouldn't waste any time exercising, just use your time to make as much money as you can before your hike.

Panzer

Simply not true, when I trained 20-something Green Beret wannabes, the majority of them couldn't do ONE pullup, few had the core strength to climb a 2inch manila rope, even using their feet.

Homer&Marje
09-24-2008, 19:54
wow. No offense, but... Mags is right, there is hills everywhere. I live in Attleboro Ma and I hike all the time... find a state park, do all the trails twice in an afternoon, a little boring but better than the gym.

Which mind you I was at the gym twice today, but I don't follow a strict regiment by any sorts.

rafe
09-24-2008, 20:07
wow. No offense, but... Mags is right, there is hills everywhere.

Mags lives in Colofrickin'rado, he's forgotten what flatlands look like.

There really aren't many hills out where I live... and such as there are, I think I get a more aerobic workout going over them on my bike. Plus, I loathe gyms, with a passion. In the summer, I typically ride 50-75 miles per week. In winter, not so much... I ski a bit, and grow my gut. (I used to ski a lot more, but the $$$ and the driving started to wear on me.)

take-a-knee
09-24-2008, 20:15
[quote=beeman;701192]Then we find a football stadium or a tall building and go up and down the stairs!:eek:

Here's the bulk of the training suggestion from a hiking book I like:

The gym part is set up in 4 columns. (Sorry I couldn't make a table of it)
Exercise/ Sets/ Reps/ Purpose
ABDOMINALS
Knee in the air sit-ups/ 2/ 15/ Lower abs
Flat bench leg raises/ 2/ 15/ Upper abs
Crunches/ 2/ To your limit/ Recruit smaller abs

LEGS
Squats/ 4/ 10/ Quads, Hamstrings,Calves
Leg Presses/ 4/ 10/ Squat variation/ more control
Seated Calf Raises / 2/ To your limit/ Strengthens calves
Reverse Calf pulls/ 2/ To your limit/ Strengthens front of calf muscles

BACK
Deadlifts/ 4/ 10/ Strengthen lower back
Hyperextensions/ 2/ To your limit/ Builds mass around spine

Squats rule but you gotta do them right, get Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength" if you are serious about barbell training. Rippetoe also says that leg presses are "gay" and I agree, they isolate the upper leg, that's why those who do them have to do calf raises and such. Crossfit guru Greg Glassman says that segmented training produces a segmented capacity, that is, non-functional strength. Squats and deadlifts (again, if you don't do these properly, you'll cripple yourself) and middle-distance runs (400-800m) are the basic exercises, add in plyometrics (jumping up and down of of a 16-20in tall box) and walking lunges. For variety add in bodyweight deep squats (air squats) and "wall balls" ( deep squats with a 12-20# medicine ball, as you rise you throw the ball overhead and hit a target spot on the wall 10 ft high, catch the ball, squat and repeat, start with 50 reps, shoot for 100. Oh, and we can't forget thrusters, squats combined with an overhead barbell press, most get a pretty serious wave of nausea the first time they do 95# for 20 reps.

If I had to pick one resistance exercise, especially for a hiker, it would be this:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html

Homer&Marje
09-24-2008, 20:35

There really aren't many hills out where I live... and such as there are, I think I get a more aerobic workout going over them on my bike. Plus, I loathe gyms, with a passion. In the summer, I typically ride 50-75 miles per week. In winter, not so much... I ski a bit, and grow my gut. (I used to ski a lot more, but the $$$ and the driving started to wear on me.)

I know, but as he said he used to live in RI, right next to where I live in MA... so he understands the flatlands...forgotten them maybe, spoiled a little maybe:D

Lucky bastard.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2008, 20:59
Hey folks,

Enjoy!

- Greg:-?:confused:

you're 24. you're fit. just put the pack on and go. after a week or two the discomforts go away and become part of you. there is no need to train for backpacking. it's not science

Mags
09-24-2008, 21:23

Panzer

That's not the best advice.

A hike is much enjoyable if you are in shape to begin with IMO, no matter what the age.

You are less likely to get hurt, the hike is more enjoyable and you are less likely to get off trail due to sheer misery.

Mags
09-24-2008, 21:27

Bull Hickey. I grew up in Rhode Island. Next door to you!

If anything it is flatter than your neck of New England...and I found hills there.

http://www.riparks.com/arcadia.htm
http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/what-to-do/bird-watching-and-nature-walks/1546/george-b-parker-woodland/
http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/what-to-do/beaches/491/george-washington-management-area/

They are wooded, hilly enough to get the blood pumping (I did a hike in Parker Woodlands AFTER the CDT hike and found it fun) and it is HIKING in pretty woods. What's not to like?

I never understood this mentality of being in poor shape to start a thru-hike.

What's the advantage?

I guess it is better to be a slug and slurp on milkshakes..but life is too short for poor health. And it is just plain fun being active!

Joe8484
09-24-2008, 21:41
If your a normally active person then extra training is not necessary.

If your a person who never played a sport or never exercises then definitely get moving!

Bidwell
09-24-2008, 22:59
Wow! Thanks for all the replies folks - I leave the computer for several hours and I come back and there's a great conversation moving along... much appreciated!

I guess I am looking for core strength stuff. My legs are in good shape - I am into trail running and have run some pretty "difficult" trail races around here in Utah. I've done about 25 ultramarathons in the last 3-4 years so in running these and training for these I am pretty active.

But put a pack on me, and it weighs me down. Hurts my back and hips. I have been obsessing over ultra-light packing because I feel I enjoy the hike that much more in that I can go faster and it takes off less weight on my back.

I'm gonna take all your posts and suggestions to heart... thank you much!

Ape 99
09-25-2008, 05:19
Wow! Thanks for all the replies folks - I leave the computer for several hours and I come back and there's a great conversation moving along... much appreciated!

I guess I am looking for core strength stuff. My legs are in good shape - I am into trail running and have run some pretty "difficult" trail races around here in Utah. I've done about 25 ultramarathons in the last 3-4 years so in running these and training for these I am pretty active.

But put a pack on me, and it weighs me down. Hurts my back and hips. I have been obsessing over ultra-light packing because I feel I enjoy the hike that much more in that I can go faster and it takes off less weight on my back.

I'm gonna take all your posts and suggestions to heart... thank you much!

Sounds like your just fine endurance wise, "hurts my back & hips" would lead one to believe you could benefit from some training of the posterior chain, ie deadlifts & squats. Runners are almost universally quad dominant maybe some hip, ham & glute work would be the ticket. I second the advice to buy Rippetoes book, excellent primer on weight training.

mudhead
09-25-2008, 05:47
it is HIKING in pretty woods. What's not to like?

I never understood this mentality of being in poor shape to start a thru-hike.

What's the advantage?

I guess it is better to be a slug and slurp on milkshakes..but life is too short for poor health. And it is just plain fun being active!

Plenty of flat in CO, too.

A certain amount of fitness makes sense. I think one slurps fewer milkshakes after you discover what is in them.

Bare Bear
09-25-2008, 07:35
Whatever activity you do to get into Thru Shape, remember to do it with the 40 pound pack for at least 8-10 hours a day. I always think it funny when friends tell me they are ready to go hike because they go to the gym in the a/c and do 1/2 hr of stairclimber 3X a week, run a mile every day, etc. They all get to the top of Sassafrass the first day and want to go home! Just go hike. :)
Everyone sucks the first couple weeks then you get your legs and by day 30 are kicking butt............or you have long since gone 'off the trail'.

take-a-knee
09-25-2008, 09:02
Whatever activity you do to get into Thru Shape, remember to do it with the 40 pound pack for at least 8-10 hours a day. I always think it funny when friends tell me they are ready to go hike because they go to the gym in the a/c and do 1/2 hr of stairclimber 3X a week, run a mile every day, etc. They all get to the top of Sassafrass the first day and want to go home! Just go hike. :)
Everyone sucks the first couple weeks then you get your legs and by day 30 are kicking butt............or you have long since gone 'off the trail'.

I hope you are not in charge of training athletes. You scoff at a stairclimber, that happens to be about the best device that simulates a steep uphill climb. That will strengthen the quads and toughen and thicken the patellar tendon, not to mention giving your cardiovascular system one hell of a workout. Given the fact that you scoff at exercise you likely couldn't run a mile right now, and you wouldn't last five minutes on a Stairmaster Stepmill at level 8.

"Humans are not physically normal in the abscence of hard physical effort.
Exercise is not a thing we do to fix a problem-it is a thing we must do anyway, a thing without which there will always BE problems."

Trainer Mark Rippetoe

Two Speed
09-25-2008, 09:25
Been hiking off an on for 20 + years, some serious stuff occasionally, a lot more goofing around. My take is any activity beats doing nothing, but the best training for hiking was . . . wait for it . . . hiking.

Go figure.

take-a-knee
09-25-2008, 14:46
Been hiking off an on for 20 + years, some serious stuff occasionally, a lot more goofing around. My take is any activity beats doing nothing, but the best training for hiking was . . . wait for it . . . hiking.

Go figure.

Delta Force Commander and founder COL Charlie Beckwith said that, "The best way to train to carry 80# packs up and down mountains, is to carry 80# packs up and down mountains". That will always be an excellent recipe for doing so.

The problem with this prescription for most folks is this, they have to go to work everyday, they don't get paid to hike like Delta Force members.

Crossfitters have a saying that goes something like this, "Most folks spend two hours in the gym and get a 30min workout, Crossfitters spend thirty minutes in the gym and get a two hour workout".

Basically what I'm saying is that Crossfit sucks, or rather the lungs of Crossfitters suck...and gasp for air, and the rest of the body benefits. You can lie to yourself that you don't really need to exercise, but you really know you are BS'ing yourself when you say it.