PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag and clammy feeling

smithk3933
09-24-2008, 18:44
I just took an overnight trip in preparation for my week long Shenandoah section hike in October. Temps at night were mid-upper fifties. I used my NF Blue Kazoo down bag. The bag made me feel very clammy/damp even though all was dry and I kept it partially unzipped. Does this sound like just to much bag for the temperature?

Thanks.

Keith

taildragger
09-24-2008, 18:49
Possibly, might try a liner if or a lighter bag to see if you get the same result. Some people just don't like the synthetics on their skin

Egads
09-24-2008, 19:14
TNF Blue Kazoo is rated at 15* by TNF, which probably means you would be comfortable in it ~25* to ~40*. Unzip it, use it as a quilt. Possibly, you were just sweaty from the hike. In that case, wash off with a wet bandanna.

Egads

LIhikers
09-24-2008, 22:12
Did you sleep in a tent that doesn't have good ventilation?

Marta
09-25-2008, 06:53
I agree that a lot of the clammy feeling comes from being sweaty in a humid environment. One cure is to sponge bathe; another is to try various wicking clothes to see which make you feel the dryest while trying to sleep. Or both.

smithk3933
09-25-2008, 09:18
Thanks for the response. I do have a good tent, Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 and did infact clean-up a bit after the hike. It may be it's just a bit over-bagged for the temps. I do like the idea of using a lightweight liner. May give that a try.

Keith

buz
09-25-2008, 09:45
If it is not a serious weight concious hike, I will take a single bed cotton top sheet as a liner. Feels much better to me than against the nylon of the bag, whether I am sleeping in quilt mode or in bag mode. Sleep better, worth the weight, to me.

Wags
09-25-2008, 10:26
long sleeve silk shirt and silk pants are a good option to try as camp clothes and going to bed. they may prevent your skin from getting that clammy feeling

NICKTHEGREEK
09-25-2008, 10:28
I just took an overnight trip in preparation for my week long Shenandoah section hike in October. Temps at night were mid-upper fifties. I used my NF Blue Kazoo down bag. The bag made me feel very clammy/damp even though all was dry and I kept it partially unzipped. Does this sound like just to much bag for the temperature?

Thanks.

Keith
Why yes, it does sound like too much bag, at least to me. Between 50 and 60 if it's dry and not windy a pair of wool socks, a light fleece watchcap and a fleece bag liner are all I need to stay warm.

Just Plain Jim
09-25-2008, 10:58
In this kind of weather, I use my nylon liner and open the sleeping bag all of the way and use it as a blanket later that night.

jesse
09-25-2008, 11:02
Clammy is caused by condensation and or sweat. An open tarp, and quilt combination is the best way I have found to sleep dry.

OldStormcrow
09-25-2008, 11:08

Thanks.

Keith With the temps in the upper 50's I am quite comfortable with just my quilted army poncho liner and sleeping pad. It is long enough for me (6'2") to sleep under and to tuck under my feet, weighs only and ounce or two, stuffs down about the size of a large fist and has ties on the sides so you can tie it into a rectangular envelope (think old-style square sleeping bag) if you wish.

Critterman
09-25-2008, 15:45
If I wear synthetic long johns/top I always feel clammy at night in my bag. Smart wool top and bottom solved that problem.

Reid
09-25-2008, 20:52
Well that clammy feeling is probably from the oil that your skin releases while hiking. Now it doesnt really take a whole lot for your skin to do this as opposed to sweating which does take a bit of energy to create. The only way to get oil off your skin is to wash it, but hopefully it's not a bad problem and a wet wash cloth (clean) will do the job.

funcky
09-26-2008, 16:27
I second the smartwool.It really helped but did not completely solve my problem.I ended up selling two of the higher end bags because of this.