PDA

View Full Version : 36 liter pack...too much? Too Little?

Live the Journey
09-24-2008, 21:03
Hey Folks. I've been looking at some 40-ish liter packs for my 2009 NOBO. I have a very short torso (14 and a quarter inch...which usually puts me in kids size packs) and I've found that the Deuter SL packs fit me pretty well...better then most. I'm wondering if the 36 liter Futura Pro SL would be too small... Any suggestions?

Whistler
09-24-2008, 21:34
A 36L/2200ci pack would be too small for me. I've had good luck with packs in the 45-50L/2700-3000ci range, like the GoLite Jam and the Gossamer Gear Miniposa.

I have low-ish base weights, but still find the extra volume helps with larger food loads and in the edge seasons when you need some more clothing, thicker sleeping bag, etc.

Have you tried packing your expected gear in the 36L?
-Mark

Live the Journey
09-24-2008, 21:47
Thanks Mark,
I work at an outfitter and we carry the mens version of the Futura (40 liters) and we also carry the Gregory Jade 35 (34 liters in the small size)...I "packed" both of these with items that are similar sizes to the items I will have which are:

1.3L titanium cookpot (which holds my stove and cooking things)
Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy
15 degree down bag
Thermarest Prolite (short size)
...and I added two stuffed out stuff sacks that represented my clothes and food

These items all fit in both packs....leaving the top lit completely empty and some room to spare up top (but not a ton of room up top)

I still need to account for fuel, water, personal items etc, but it seemed like the bulk of the gear fit with some wiggle room. To get the pack, I'd have to order it, which is why I'd love some more opinions!

Egads
09-24-2008, 21:52
A 36 liter pack is too small if you can't fit all your gear, clothes, food, & water in it. Check it out.

I can fit my 2-3 night summer set up in a 24 liter pack w/o any trouble, but bought a 32 liter for the shoulder seasons or longer trips.

smaaax
09-24-2008, 22:05
if you are starting earlyish, it may not be enough room for your winter clothes and gear.

Wolf - 23000
09-25-2008, 02:08
If I understand your question and 36L is equal to a 2200ci pack (which is big enough for me to thru-hike) and your planning on just a little bit bigger with a 40L then you should be fine as long as you know what you are doing.

Wolf

bigcranky
09-25-2008, 09:07
1.3L titanium cookpot (which holds my stove and cooking things)
Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy
15 degree down bag
Thermarest Prolite (short size)
...and I added two stuffed out stuff sacks that represented my clothes and food

Hmm. All this fits in a 2200ci pack with room to spare? How big was the food bag you put in there?

Every time I put together my pack, I am always surprised at how much room my clothing and food take up inside.

BTW I have an original Gregory Z Pack in size small, which was my daughter's pack. She's a very short torso too. I think it's around 3500 cubic inches. You are welcome to try it out. If it works, we can make you such a bargain....

BookBurner
09-25-2008, 10:41
I'd be shocked if 2200 cu.in. sufficed unless you're a very dedicated ultralite thru-hiker! I carry 10 lbs of gear (clothing, toiletries, book, etc. included), 5-6 days of food, and usually two liters of water. The Go-Lite Jam (3100 cu.in.) carries the pile nicely. But I could never shrink the load down another 900 cu.in. If you manage to pull it off, let me know how. I'll wan't to borrow some of your ideas!

Live the Journey
09-25-2008, 23:58
Well, curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered the 36L pack...

I'll let you know how it goes...and by all means, if anyone knows of some good 40ish L packs out there that can fit a tiny torso, please leave the name here because It may be back to the drawing board once I get this new pack a try!
Thanks for the Posts!

earlyriser26
09-26-2008, 06:44
I have a Bora 40 and it works great. I also take a full size 2 person tent. Unless you are going in the winter or need a weeks worth of food you should be fine.

Egads
09-26-2008, 12:54
I bought an Osprey Statos 32 this summer & believe I could make it work for a thru. It'd be tough getting a winter bag in without over compression though.

Two Speed
09-26-2008, 13:06
Not a thru-hiker, but I do make a 2,000 cubic inch pack (approx 32 L) work routinely for three day hikes in mild weather.

I'm still working on it, but I can't say if I'll ever be able to make a five day hike in cold weather with that pack. A 2,500 cubic inch pack (approx 40 L) is my "big bag" these days, and I have no problems making it work for five day trips in any weather.

I do carry my shelter, rain gear, pack cover, fuel and water externally.

Shelter, SMD Lunar or bivy/tarp combo gets lashed to the bottom of the back (both packs)
rain gear either goes in the mesh "bucket" (40 L) or attached to the daisy chain (32 L)
pack cover, fuel and (2) one liter water bottles go in the mesh pockets (both packs)

FWIW I prefer to arrange my gear with some stowed externally, what ever the size pack I use.

I want the shelter external because I despise putting a wet shelter inside a pack. Same for rain gear. Also makes the shelter and rain gear easier to get to when the weather goes to pot on me.

I don't like fuel inside a pack. If I start spilling fuel I want to smell that pronto; don't want to loose a bunch of fuel before realizing I have a problem.

I want my water external so I can get to it.

Anyway, that's how I like to do things. I'm sure there's lots of opinions on the subject and lots of different ways to do things.

TunnelvisionGAME09
09-26-2008, 13:09
and we also carry the Gregory Jade 35 (34 liters in the small size)

This is the pack that I use and I love it. I haven't had any troubles getting all of the gear that I need packed, even for colder weather treks.

dmb658
10-07-2008, 00:15
i loved my golite pinnacle

JAK
10-07-2008, 11:55
I think 2200ci is too small. Volume is not your enemy, unless you plan on trail running.
There are many good 3000ci to 3600ci packs weighing 16-20oz, for about $100.

Live the Journey
10-17-2008, 00:31
I'll be packing this 36 L pack for a shakedown this weekend and then I'll take it for a test run next weekend in Panthertown Valley...it should be a fun trip to test things out, but I'm still a bit on the fence as to if I may want to check out a slightly larger pack...perhaps 45-50L. (however that will make my 3ed pack in about 3 months!) Either way I love this pack, it just may not have the volume I'll need. I'll keep ya'll informed on it's performance!

Zzzzdyd
10-17-2008, 01:54
I found that getting the gear sorted out to my needs then finding the correct

pack for the gear and me was better than getting the pack then the gear.