PDA

View Full Version : Leftover supplies

steph
03-16-2004, 14:11
What do you do when you resupply in town and can only buy too large of an amount and have leftovers when you leave town? Specifically with fuel like denatured alchohol.

Jaybird
03-16-2004, 14:19
What do you do when you resupply in town and can only buy too large of an amount and have leftovers when you leave town? Specifically with fuel like denatured alchohol.

Steph:

i don't usually have "leftovers"...but (if it were me..) i'd donate to first hiker i saw or leave in the hiker "FREEBIE" box in town (usually @ hostel, outfitters, etc. place.

i, along with partner: "TeePee", left about 3 days worth of food @ Tray Shelter in 2002...@ the end of the day...we were @ the next shelter up the trail & a trio of hikers ("Mad Musician, "Not Keith," & "Alabam") came into camp....boasting that they were... "gonna eat good....look what someone had left them!".....

we all benefit! ;)

Hammock Hanger
03-16-2004, 18:27
in hiker boxes, provided at hostels, outfitters, some PO's... DO NOT leave extra food at shelters. This encourages the mice and can attract other animals to the shelter areas. If you carry it into the woods it is your resonsibility to carry it out or gift it away. HH

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 18:31
in hiker boxes, provided at hostels, outfitters, some PO's... DO NOT leave extra food at shelters. This encourages the mice and can attract other animals to the shelter areas. If you carry it into the woods it is your resonsibility to carry it out or gift it away. HH

I agree.......110%

Footslogger
03-16-2004, 19:02
I agree that fuel should be left behind. But here's another thought on the food side of things. If what you have left over is really something you'd like (but just don't have room for) consider sending it ahead to yourself. You can send a package "Priority" from the Post Office with your leftover food and supplies and pick it up a week later in another town/hiker hostel or motel.

Just a thought ....it worked for me in 2003

Bon Appetit, and Happy Trails

steph
03-22-2004, 14:58
Thanks for the input everyone... Sounds like it won't be a big deal to pass stuff on for someone elses use.