PDA

View Full Version : Blaze orange

mudhead
09-25-2008, 06:35
Big purchase this week. $23.95. Polyester blaze hooded full zip sweatshirt.

Willey's gunshop in Ellsworth, ME. Far superior to Wmart's version. Check zipper, some were sticky. Bright, not dull orange.

Bass Pro has a $9.77 version, also.

Get your glow on.

dessertrat
09-25-2008, 15:53
Good thing it isn't cotton.

I only have a blaze hat, but I'll probably wear it when I'm up there next month, just so nobody thinks I'm a duck, or shoots me with a bow.

SunnyWalker
09-25-2008, 19:41
Check out Gander Mountain for good orange products too.

take-a-knee
09-25-2008, 20:15
Under Armor used to sell a BLAZE orange tee shirt through Cabela's, they don't list them anymore. They might show up in some outlets or at Cabela's bargain cave.

SunnyWalker
09-26-2008, 16:57
Too bad there are no more orange packs. I remember seeing some in the 70's.

ki0eh
09-26-2008, 17:45
Under Armor used to sell a BLAZE orange tee shirt through Cabela's, they don't list them anymore. They might show up in some outlets or at Cabela's bargain cave.

That's where I got a long sleeve orange wicking UA shirt. Great for leaf off backpacking! I don't see it anymore even on UA's site.

I also got not as nice of a long sleeve wicking orange shirt at LL Bean and I don't see it there either. :confused: Don't see any such items at Woolrich, Gander Mountain, or Dick's either???

Marta
09-26-2008, 18:18
Too bad there are no more orange packs. I remember seeing some in the 70's.

I've got a blaze orange pack cover. I use it during gun deer season.

Egads
09-26-2008, 18:30
Osprey Stratos 32

Summit
09-26-2008, 19:13
My Marmot Precip is BRIGHT orange . . . see in my gallery "tennent mtn" photo. So that makes me a member of this new bright orange club. :D

Summit
09-26-2008, 19:16
Osprey Stratos 32Noticed your signature . . . "Hike responsibly." Does that mean you have a 'designated hiker' in your hiking party? :D :p

bkrownd
09-27-2008, 05:14
Yellow and red work, as well. I got some bright yellow lightweight wool shirts recently, and my rain jacket is a bright yellow cycling jacket.

Alternatively, you could carry an ultralightweight blaze orange hunting vest for more specific occasions.

All my outdoor stuff is bright colors, since hunting is anytime, anywhere in Hawai'i, and hunters aren't used to seeing non-hunters in the wilderness here.

mudhead
09-27-2008, 05:36
I saw a guy with a bright yellow DriDucks jacket, and a brown OR hat last week. That yellow was bright enough.

I favor blaze, as people associate blaze with person. Feel more relaxed, and don't care what the young bucks think.

take-a-knee
09-27-2008, 10:01
Yellow and red work, as well. I got some bright yellow lightweight wool shirts recently, and my rain jacket is a bright yellow cycling jacket.

Alternatively, you could carry an ultralightweight blaze orange hunting vest for more specific occasions.

All my outdoor stuff is bright colors, since hunting is anytime, anywhere in Hawai'i, and hunters aren't used to seeing non-hunters in the wilderness here.

Red might get a load of copper-plated shot sent in your direction during spring turkey season. Several turkey hunters have been blinded because they had a red bandana visible. Red is one of the colors on a tom turkey's ugly head during the mating season.

rafe
09-27-2008, 10:24
Red might get a load of copper-plated shot sent in your direction during spring turkey season. Several turkey hunters have been blinded because they had a red bandana visible. Red is one of the colors on a tom turkey's ugly head during the mating season.

If a hunter can't distinguish between these two, he/she has no business poking through the woods with a loaded gun.

take-a-knee
09-27-2008, 11:08
If a hunter can't distinguish between these two, he/she has no business poking through the woods with a loaded gun.

That won't stop said same moron from blinding you, and it won't return your vision. Be advised. I can't fix stupid, I can only advise as best I know how to avoid colliding with them.

Summit
09-27-2008, 11:17
If a hunter can't distinguish between these two, he/she has no business poking through the woods with a loaded gun.Agree with T-a-K . . . having no business and doing it anyway kinda go hand-in-hand from my experience. Not being able to drive well never stopped anyone (in case you haven't noticed)! :eek: :D

Fiddleback
09-27-2008, 11:18

Absolutely! But it's the presence of so many of those types that make the blaze orange a necessity. It's no coincidence that the local convenience store's "Welcome Hunters!" sign is provided by Miller Beer.

Around here, horse riders too resort to wearing orange with good reason. I don't imagine it's any different in any other region.

FB

weary
09-27-2008, 11:19

Willey's gunshop in Ellsworth, ME. Far superior to Wmart's version. Check zipper, some were sticky. Bright, not dull orange.

Get your glow on.
A few days ago our local Reny Store had a display out front of polyester blaze orange sweat shirts for $20. A quick look convinced me they were an excellent buy. Unfortunately I was too busy at the time to stop and I haven't gone back. But I must. My old hunting season jacket has gotten pretty faded.

Weary

Weary

weary
09-27-2008, 11:20

Get your glow on.
A few days ago our local Reny Store had a display out front of polyester blaze orange sweat shirts for $20. A quick look convinced me they were an excellent buy. Unfortunately I was too busy at the time to stop and I haven't gone back. But I must. My old hunting season jacket has gotten pretty faded.

Weary

emerald
09-27-2008, 11:21
If a hunter can't distinguish between these two [turkeys and hikers], he/she has no business poking through the woods with a loaded gun.

That won't stop said same moron from blinding you, and it won't return your vision.

It might be possible to create legislation designed to prevent such incidents, but enforcement is never perfect, nor is compliance, even when everyone knows what's expected and makes their best effort to comply and exercise good judgement.

By the way, I mentioned before Pennsylvania requires everyone on State Game Lands to wear fluorescent (blaze) orange during the high-powered rifle deer season. There are a number of other good threads here explaining why it's wise to wear blaze orange.

I'll provide the exact text later and will link some threads. If anyone else can get to it before me, so much the better. Susquehanna Appalachian Trail Club (SATC) has good information on it's website which I have also linked before.

weary
09-27-2008, 11:26
True. But he'll be out there anyway. Blaze orange is the safest color. Nothing in nature is that color and hunters, even dumb ones, have learned to associate that color with people.

Weary

Wags
09-27-2008, 12:04
my rain jacket is black, so i expect to be dead by thanksgiving

Fiddleback
09-27-2008, 19:56

Can I have your jacket...?

Wags
09-27-2008, 23:09
it may have a few pea sized holes in it

mudhead
09-28-2008, 10:20
That won't stop said same moron from blinding you, and it won't return your vision. Be advised. I can't fix stupid, I can only advise as best I know how to avoid colliding with them.
Yep.

Weary

Weary
Reny's in Ellsworth only had cheap, but bright blaze fleece. Go soon.

it may have a few pea sized holes in it
Blaze duck tape.

not.

superman
09-28-2008, 11:46
If your worried about hunters you might also avoid wearing red, white, blue and black during turkey season. This time of the year try not to sound like a nut or the squirrels will haul you off. Also don't wear duck tape during duck season.:)

dessertrat
09-28-2008, 12:52

This is true, but I am put in mind of the man up in Maine, about twenty years ago, who shot a woman in her backyard because he thought her white mittens were flags from a deer's tail. You can't fix stupid, is right.

superman
09-28-2008, 13:12
This is true, but I am put in mind of the man up in Maine, about twenty years ago, who shot a woman in her backyard because he thought her white mittens were flags from a deer's tail. You can't fix stupid, is right.

The number of hunters in this country varies depending on the source of information. Out of some 40 million hunters the screw ups sure get a lot of press time. That deer hunter was supposed to identify his target from tip to tail. He was supposed to know the proximity of a residence. He was supposed to know the whole path that his round would travel. With all the hunter training programs stupid still finds a way to undermine a lot of effort by a lot of people to avoid these stupid situations.

dessertrat
09-28-2008, 13:17
We agree, Superman. I took the hunter safety class when growing up in Maine, and what that man did was negligent homicide pure and simple. But a jury acquitted him, if I remember correctly (I was living in Bangor at the time, and the incident happened just outside of Bangor). I just don't want to be dead because of someone being stupid, no matter how right I am.

JAK
09-28-2008, 13:24
I've been thinking about taking up hunting this fall.

Now if that doesn't send a message. ;)

weary
09-28-2008, 13:45
If you prefer to live, stay out of the woods, buy and wear a $5 blaze orange vest to wear over your jacket, or just hope for the best. But despite the cynicism, fewer people are hurt by hunters since blaze orange and hunter safety became a topic of public discussion.

Weary

ki0eh
09-28-2008, 19:35
Blaze duck tape.

Hey, I bought a roll once at Home Depot, actually used it for trail blazing once but it fell apart in the sun and the land manager got mad.

It might be possible to create legislation designed to prevent such incidents, but enforcement is never perfect, nor is compliance, even when everyone knows what's expected and makes their best effort to comply and exercise good judgement.

By the way, I mentioned before Pennsylvania requires everyone on State Game Lands to wear fluorescent (blaze) orange during the high-powered rifle deer season. There are a number of other good threads here explaining why it's wise to wear blaze orange.

I'll provide the exact text later and will link some threads. If anyone else can get to it before me, so much the better. Susquehanna Appalachian Trail Club (SATC) has good information on it's website which I have also linked before.

http://www.satc-hike.org/paoutdoors.html#sglorange

taildragger
09-28-2008, 20:11
True. But he'll be out there anyway. Blaze orange is the safest color. Nothing in nature is that color and hunters, even dumb ones, have learned to associate that color with people.

Weary

Look at the feet of a mallard, only thing that I have ever seen that truly match hunter blaze orange.:welcome

BTW, at the least wear a blaze orange hat if you're worried, and avoid colours like duck brown (the brown that matches a deers winter coat), small red objects are good to avoid (a red jacket would be like on big ass turkey head, it'd take a lot of stupidity to make that mistake).

Lastly, don't creep up on people, if you see a hunter, talk, use words that won't sound like an animal.

Remember, most hunters are good and won't send a bullet towards something w/o a known backstop and will know their target. However, some do get tunnel vision and their mind wants to see a deer, it might make anything look like a deer (I've had this happen to me a few times, never shot it, just kept thinking that I could swear that this tree was a deer).

superman
09-28-2008, 20:26
We agree, Superman. I took the hunter safety class when growing up in Maine, and what that man did was negligent homicide pure and simple. But a jury acquitted him, if I remember correctly (I was living in Bangor at the time, and the incident happened just outside of Bangor). I just don't want to be dead because of someone being stupid, no matter how right I am.

Yeah, I wear blaze orange when I deer hunt...not camoflage. I wear bright colors and reflective stuff when I bike or jog. I also use a PFD when I canoe. Which brings me to my favorite joke from my "Boys Life" 1958.

I can...canoe?

LMAO:banana

mudhead
09-29-2008, 05:26
Hey, I bought a roll once at Home Depot, actually used it for trail blazing once but it fell apart in the sun and the land manager got mad.

[URL]
Good to know. I have an old aunt that gets a roll of colored every Christmas. So far purple is her favorite. (We are different in my tribe.)

Look at the feet of a mallard, only thing that I have ever seen that truly match hunter blaze orange.:welcome

Lastly, don't creep up on people, if you see a hunter, talk, use words that won't sound like an animal.

, just kept thinking that I could swear that this tree was a deer).

Saw some orange leaves in the low light yesterday that were close, too.

I probably have seen as many stumps that look like deer, as deer. Odd how the mind can work.

Wags
10-02-2008, 14:54
on this note thought i'd pass this along...

Kmart is currently selling 100% acryllic, blaze orange watch caps for $1.99

now i'm just gonna put some newspaper bags around my arms and pack and i'll be pimpin' dirtbag style

Marta
10-02-2008, 16:25
Blaze orange is the color for budget outdoor apparel, for sure.

It works for me.

Summit
10-02-2008, 17:10
I can...canoe?Wasn't that the jingle for Canoe cologne like . . . 200 years ago? Or was it "Canoe canoe?" :eek: :p

Captn
10-02-2008, 18:47
Orange Wal Mart short sleeve tee shirt

Orange Pack Cover

Orange microfiber buff for a hat.

Run .... it's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown!

mudhead
10-10-2008, 05:27
The hooded sweatshirt was cherry. Only negative was the static sparks. Not all polyester is created equal! Needed the warm hood. Got sleeted on.

What I would like to find is blaze tights. I used the black, made me a tad nervous, even with a neon blaze top on. I have seen purple, but not blaze.

I was glad not to use pants while moving, will have plenty of that soon.

Odd how the further from the world you get, the more blaze coverage you see, and the knowing smiles you get from like minded individuals.