PDA

View Full Version : Washing Frogg Toggs

Peanut
09-25-2008, 09:08
Is there a special way to wash Frogg Toggs, anything I need to be careful about? They're pretty beat up anyway, so it probably doesn't matter at this point, but I'd like to know. Thanks!!

Alligator
09-25-2008, 09:32
I wash most of my gear (the clothing;)) on cold and go easy on the agitator speeds or use a front loader (we got one this year). I generally line dry things as well, and I believe it's a requirement for Toggs.

I've washed my Frogg Toggs a number of times like that. They get a little softer too, not so stiff.

rafe
09-25-2008, 09:43
Do NOT put them in the dryer -- at least not with heat. The least bit of heat makes the fabric shrink like crazy.

superman
09-25-2008, 11:09
Is there a special way to wash Frogg Toggs, anything I need to be careful about? They're pretty beat up anyway, so it probably doesn't matter at this point, but I'd like to know. Thanks!!

Wash frogg toggs? Interesting concept. I don't think I've ever washed mine. Mostly I use mine for when I stop hiking or as a wind block. When it rains I just consider it my weekly shower. I wore the pants when I was doing my laundry and they split from front to back on the AT. Be careful when they get pilled. The smallest spark will make them go up in flames in a heart beat (campfire sparks). That's when it's good to have friends to beat the flames out. I still wonder why they beat me in the head when the flames were on my chest:)? That material will turn to something like melted mozzarella cheese in a dryer the same as my polypropylenes did.

Footslogger
09-25-2008, 11:58
===============================

Not sure what the recommended method is ...but after my thru in 2003 I just soaked/hand washed mine in the bathtub with warm water and a little mild liquid laundry detergent. Then hung them outside on the line until they were all dry. Came out looking like new and smelled pretty fresh.

'Slogger

Peanut
09-25-2008, 11:58
It does seem funny now, but I used them in the colder weather on my thru hike this year and they smell pretty bad. :)

Homer&Marje
09-25-2008, 16:03
The smell adds character to my closet. It covers up all that air freshener stuff and scented candles...

fiddlehead
09-25-2008, 19:56
Frogg Toggs are made from Polypropylene. Treat them accordingly.

I wash them lots but they do seem to get softer everytime and it is my opinion that they do lose a little of their waterproofness after many washings. (no proof though)

I just throw them in with my other clothes and hang dry them same as i do my polypro long underwear.

Blissful
09-25-2008, 19:57
They pill pretty badly too after washing.

rafe
09-25-2008, 20:42
They pill pretty badly too after washing.

I'd stick to hand-washing Frogg-Toggs. Fill up the tub, swish 'em around a bit, hang them up outside to dry. Fashion wear, they're not.

trekkngirl
09-26-2008, 00:03

If I finished the AT as you did I would frame those frogg toggs as a memorandom...I enjoyed your trail journal.read it from end to end..a marvelous journey..you told about the hardness and the mental aspects of the journey..I just have one question..How did you keep up with everyone you met in a given day at a given time..that blew my simple mind. ..loved you summit but I also felt your pain about not carrying you pack all the way up Big K.. I am planning a NOBO in March 2009..wish the old woman good luck...K? :)
Trekkngirl