PDA

View Full Version : Want to see Santa?

Ron Haven
09-25-2008, 18:03
Several of us hiker nuts enjoyed the hiker Christmas Party in Franklin last year.We also thought this would make a nice annual get together.So this don't interupt the holiday with your friends and family we had it on the 1st Saturday in December.This year it will Be Saturday,December 6th.

All who would like to come are invited.Any suggestions is always welcomed
and will be considered.Last year we had BBQ catered from Fatt Buddies
http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com/menu.htm
And Santa does come to see hikers who are mean.I have saw all three of these hikers commit murder.I saw all of them killing beers,click on this link
http://appalachiantrailservices.com/photo_gallery.html
Santa is saw with the nicest of nice trail angels people,click on this link
Marta warns south bounders that their end is coming soon,click on this link

I wanted to make an early post so people would know of the event early.Hope to see many of you join us for a great weekend.We will also be taking reservations at Budget Inn or Sapphire Inn if you want to reserve a room at reduced rates for hikers.:D

Lone Wolf
09-25-2008, 18:13
me and gypsy is comin'

Skidsteer
09-25-2008, 18:18
Looking forward to it Ron. Thanks for throwing the party!

Sly
09-25-2008, 18:41
Hey Ron, can you save me a room for Friday and Saturday at the Sapphire, or should I call it in?

Hooch
09-25-2008, 18:44
I missed this last year, but now that I'm here in NC, it'll be something worth looking forward to. I'm planning on it and will ask for the time off from work tomorrow. Advance thanks to Ron for throwing this little soiree'. :D

Ron Haven
09-25-2008, 21:21
me and gypsy is comin'I will be very glad to have both of you.

Looking forward to it Ron. Thanks for throwing the party!You are sure welcome.

Hey Ron, can you save me a room for Friday and Saturday at the Sapphire, or should I call it in?call 828-524-4406 just for good measure,by the way Budget Inn is 828-524-4406

I missed this last year, but now that I'm here in NC, it'll be something worth looking forward to. I'm planning on it and will ask for the time off from work tomorrow. Advance thanks to Ron for throwing this little soiree'. :Dyou are welcome.Bring a friend.

Also does the BBQ sound great or is there other suggestions?

DAKS
09-25-2008, 21:28
looks like a ball! i will try to make it! thanks ron!

Bulldawg
09-25-2008, 22:08
I am gonna try to make it up with the wife and kids. Anything I can bring to help out Ron?

Ron Haven
09-26-2008, 09:37
I am gonna try to make it up with the wife and kids. Anything I can bring to help out Ron?Anything you or others want to bring will be appriciated.

TOW
09-26-2008, 09:51
me and gypsy is comin'
I am coming with Lone Wolf and Gypsy........

Gray Blazer
09-26-2008, 10:49
Don't think I can make it. You know I always stop by when I'm in town.

Did your Budget Inn manager get to retire like he was telling me? Say hi to the Sapphire managers for me. Good folks. I'm having memory loss today (PTSD) or I would remember their names..

Ron Haven
09-26-2008, 20:48
Don't think I can make it. You know I always stop by when I'm in town.

Did your Budget Inn manager get to retire like he was telling me? Say hi to the Sapphire managers for me. Good folks. I'm having memory loss today (PTSD) or I would remember their names..Victor is retiring and leaving me in March 09 he says.I hope he has a change of heart and stays a while longer.Victor will be hard to replace.Many don't know this but I met Vic on the trail and he has worked for me about 5 years.Dale and Jo Ann Jackson is my managers at Sapphire Inn.I will say hello to them for you.

OregonHiker
09-26-2008, 21:20
Several of us hiker nuts enjoyed the hiker Christmas Party in Franklin last year.We also thought this would make a nice annual get together.So this don't interupt the holiday with your friends and family we had it on the 1st Saturday in December.This year it will Be Saturday,December 6th.

All who would like to come are invited.Any suggestions is always welcomed
and will be considered.Last year we had BBQ catered from Fatt Buddies
http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com/menu.htm
And Santa does come to see hikers who are mean.I have saw all three of these hikers commit murder.I saw all of them killing beers,click on this link
Santa is saw with the nicest of nice trail angels people,click on this link
Marta warns south bounders that their end is coming soon,click on this link

I wanted to make an early post so people would know of the event early.Hope to see many of you join us for a great weekend.We will also be taking reservations at Budget Inn or Sapphire Inn if you want to reserve a room at reduced rates for hikers.:D

Are you invitng Baldthing?

Hooch
09-26-2008, 21:22
Are you invitng Baldthing?You just had to go there. :rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
09-26-2008, 21:43
Victor is retiring and leaving me in March 09 he says.I hope he has a change of heart and stays a while longer.Victor will be hard to replace.Many don't know this but I met Vic on the trail and he has worked for me about 5 years.Dale and Jo Ann Jackson is my managers at Sapphire Inn.I will say hello to them for you.

Good people.

Cool AT Breeze
09-26-2008, 22:16
Anybody from North Florida going?

Ron Haven
09-26-2008, 23:13
Are you invitng Baldthing?OregonHiker can you make it?

OregonHiker
09-27-2008, 11:04
OregonHiker can you make it?

It's a 2400 mile drive...so probably not

Ron Haven
09-28-2008, 03:29
It's a 2400 mile drive...so probably notSo I guess you are in Oregon then,I love the state of Oregon and Washington.I have been there many times.Sorry :o I thought with the trail name you have that you may have been a hiker for charity to raise money for the heart fund or Oregon donars.If you go north we have have the April Hiker Fool Bash here in Franklin during the weekend of April 1st,Stop by.

peanuts
09-30-2008, 11:16
looking foward to it:) which would be hotel central???

Ron Haven
09-30-2008, 22:14
looking foward to it:) which would be hotel central???Probably Budget Inn,If you want a reservation there please call 828-524-4403-or e-mail me at [email protected] I think I have 10 rooms available there.We had a great time Last year with you joining in in.

Roots
10-01-2008, 11:14
Gungho and I are coming!! Can't wait!!

D'Artagnan
10-01-2008, 12:22
Planning on making the trek. It'll be my First!

Do most of y'all go up Friday night or just sometime Saturday? (Don't want to miss out on too much fun.)

Ron Haven
10-01-2008, 20:08
Some are PMing about rooms.I have about 5 rooms left at Budget Inn 828-524-4403 but we have around 25 left at Sapphire Inn 828-524-4406

D'Artagnan
10-02-2008, 10:12
Called and got a real nice guy (not Ron, but he's a nice 'un too!) on the phone who's holding Room 19 for me. See y'all there!

Ron Haven
10-12-2008, 17:02
here is a link to some or the Christmas Party Photos last year:eek:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=18222

Waterfall
10-12-2008, 18:09
I hope to make it ... it's kind of a long walk from my new house, maybe three blocks ... :) See y'all then!

Ron Haven
11-03-2008, 03:14
I hope to make it ... it's kind of a long walk from my new house, maybe three blocks ... :) See y'all then!Are you bringing Mr.Sutton this year?:D

Ron Haven
11-06-2008, 20:07
I just ordered 25lbs of that great BBQ,about the same for cole slaw and the BBQ beans.I know many of the people coming will be bringing other things too.I am also going to get a few barrels of KFC for those folks who don't like BBQ but I don't think there will be that many who says no to this BBQ from Fatt Buddies. http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/biggrin.gif
If I see we will need more of the bbq I can call back in for more.If anyone hasn't eat Fatt Buddies BBQ I am sure there are sports fans on here that can vouch for how good it is.I have only 2 rooms left unbooked at Budget Inn with double beds only but we have about 20 left at Sapphire Inn.
They say that 1lb of BBQ feeds 5 people but I have cut that down to 4 when it comes to hikers so that is 100 guests.
If anyone has any suggestions for things we can do to make it more exciting besides LW letting you take pictures behind him and Pirate being there let me know.Any who don't have my e-mail address it is [email protected] My home is 828-369-8086 also.I usually don't get home until about 7pm and leave early though.

Mother Nature
11-06-2008, 20:33
Smokestack and I will be there! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Sly
11-06-2008, 21:13
I just reserved a room at the Budget for Fri & Sat.

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 21:39
I'm still not staying. It's just too close to home. I plan on bringing the kids to meet all the "TRAIL LEGENDS" that will be there, then just driving the 30 minutes home.

Serial 07
11-06-2008, 21:39
what in god's name am i doing in chicago? wish i could be there...i'll be seein' ya'll soon enough i guess...have fun!

Cool AT Breeze
11-06-2008, 21:43
what in god's name am i doing in chicago? wish i could be there...i'll be seein' ya'll soon enough i guess...have fun!
Come on down Serial. You know you want to. I'll pick you up at the airport. Tell me when.

peanuts
11-06-2008, 21:48
i made my reservations for fri & sat also...:bananai'll be coming in late fri:banana

Ron Haven
11-07-2008, 11:13
I found out that the Memorial Park bldg is under construction.I have options of other facilities but they are about 5 miles away.What is everyones thoughts of setting up the 12X12 tents and tables behind the office of Budget Inn for the luncheon?Also is everyone up for the gift exchange that Miss Janet presented?

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 11:17
I found out that the Memorial Park bldg is under construction.I have options of other facilities but they are about 5 miles away.What is everyones thoughts of setting up the 12X12 tents and tables behind the office of Budget Inn for the luncheon?Also is everyone up for the gift exchange that Miss Janet presented?

yes and yes as long as it ain't 35 degrees and raining

Ron Haven
11-07-2008, 11:29
yes and yes as long as it ain't 35 degrees and rainingThat is what I am afraid of to.But there is a table and chairs in each room in case of rain.I have a couple of other places in mind I will check on in the next few days.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 11:33
ain't there a VFW hall, American Legion hall or something similar we could rent?

Sly
11-07-2008, 12:07
I'm still not staying. It's just too close to home. I plan on bringing the kids to meet all the "TRAIL LEGENDS" that will be there, then just driving the 30 minutes home.

150 miles for me. Not so bad since gas is cheaper, but considering it's still going to cost $11 in gas and 3 hours each way, it's cheaper to stay.

Cuffs
11-07-2008, 12:09
I
you are welcome.Bring a friend.

Are you kidding? Hooch has no friends!;)

Wonder
11-07-2008, 12:38
We're there!!!! Leaving the Winston-Salem area friday evening if anyone wants to carpool.

Bulldawg
11-07-2008, 13:02
150 miles for me. Not so bad since gas is cheaper, but considering it's still going to cost $11 in gas and 3 hours each way, it's cheaper to stay.

Yeah, but I think I can drive up and back for like $6 and I will just make a day of it Saturday. Probably be up at around lunch and leave whenever I get ready to leave. Anyone gonna hike anywhere after lunch or do you do that kind of thing at this deal? And is there really gonna be a Santa?

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 18:09
Yeah, but I think I can drive up and back for like $6 and I will just make a day of it Saturday. Probably be up at around lunch and leave whenever I get ready to leave. Anyone gonna hike anywhere after lunch or do you do that kind of thing at this deal? And is there really gonna be a Santa?

hike? hell no!

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 18:10
hike? hell no!

eat and drink beer. yes there will be a real santa

Bulldawg
11-07-2008, 18:10
hike? hell no!

OK, I ain't gotta hike. I can handle just hanging out!

Skidsteer
11-07-2008, 19:35

Your choice, but you will regret not staying when it comes time to drive home.

Bulldawg
11-07-2008, 19:52
Your choice, but you will regret not staying when it comes time to drive home.

Well, guess what..........

Just found out today that my daughter is dancing in the Nutcracker with her dance team or whatever it is called on the 6th. So if it is around lunch, we may well come on up afterwards, but it will probably be mid afternoon or later when we get up there. Maybe Santa will still be around. From what I can tell both of my kids are compiling quite a list.

Ron Haven
11-07-2008, 20:30
ain't there a VFW hall, American Legion hall or something similar we could rent?I spoke to someone today who has a place about 400 yards from Budget Inn.The VFW is really small but the American Legion is big enough.It is just past the Memorial Park.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2008, 00:33
I spoke to someone today who has a place about 400 yards from Budget Inn.The VFW is really small but the American Legion is big enough.It is just past the Memorial Park.

send me the bill. i'll pay it. or will take care of it when we arrive

mudhead
11-08-2008, 07:18
send me the bill. i'll pay it. or will take care of it when we arrive

Some people will do anything to avoid campfire stories!

StarLyte
11-08-2008, 08:09

HA! Took the words right out of my MOUTH !

I've been griping about living up north here in Cleveland and missing a lot of events for the past several years and I'm about sick of hearing my own gripes.

Moving and working sucks.

Next year you'll be seeing me a lot more. Heck, I might even hike.

You all have fun and do it right !

Ron Haven
11-08-2008, 12:12
send me the bill. i'll pay it. or will take care of it when we arriveO I will take care of that.Last night I talked to one of the members at the American Legion Hall and he said he would get back to me today.Said if nothing was planned we could use it and he didn't believe it was taken until afte 6pm.Said there was a dance scheduled that night.If this works we will have access to the bar and bartender.

Ron Haven
11-09-2008, 23:20
We got confirmation today that the party will be held at the American Legion Hall Saturday Dec 6th starting at 12 noon.I have a link and you can click on for more details on my forum about the party,directions to the legion hall,lodging updates and rules of the bar.Please help me pass this information.

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157

:welcome

tallfran
11-10-2008, 09:10
I'd love to do this again this year because I had so much fun last year, but my job now makes me work every Friday-Saturday-Sunday nights, with only 4 weekends off a year. I'm gonna try to get to SORUCK, though!

Have fun!

Big Oz
11-11-2008, 19:25
I'd love to do this again this year because I had so much fun last year, but my job now makes me work every Friday-Saturday-Sunday nights, with only 4 weekends off a year. I'm gonna try to get to SORUCK, though!

Have fun!I saw you in a couple of those pictures posted last year.

Chocolate Bandito
11-12-2008, 22:23
I'll be there, Ron. Great time last year.

Ron Haven
11-13-2008, 21:00
We will be glad to have you Bandito,and look forward to see many trail friends.

Wonder
11-13-2008, 21:02
Count down has started! It's been WAY to long since I've seen everyone!!!!!!!!

Waterfall
11-18-2008, 22:35
We got confirmation today that the party will be held at the American Legion Hall Saturday Dec 6th starting at 12 noon.

Woo hoo! That's practically my back yard! See everyone there!

Waterfall
11-19-2008, 11:42
Are you bringing Mr.Sutton this year?:D

Which Mr. Sutton do you mean? I work with a Mr. Sutton, but he ain't hiker trash. :eek:

Ron Haven
11-19-2008, 12:26
Count down has started! It's been WAY to long since I've seen everyone!!!!!!!!It is two weeks until the party.If there are any ones that are coming but haven't let us know.Please call or e-mail us so we can make sure we have enough food.

Gray Blazer
11-19-2008, 12:30
It is two weeks until the party.If there are any ones that are coming but haven't let us know.Please call or e-mail us so we can make sure we have enough food.
You know I'd be there if I could. If I show up at the last minute, I'll bring some BBQ with me, and camp at my secret spot.

Gray Blazer
11-19-2008, 12:34
I got to get up that way and change those pics out for some fresh ones. The Jacksons are prolly getting tired of looking at the same ones day in and out.

Marta
11-19-2008, 15:16
I'm very sorry, but I won't be able to be there. A childhood friend is coming to Charlotte for a visit.

Y'all behave!

Ron Haven
11-19-2008, 19:41
I'm very sorry, but I won't be able to be there. A childhood friend is coming to Charlotte for a visit.

Y'all behave!If you promise to be thinking about us,I promise not to be sore at you.But in case something changes we sure would be glad to have you and your hubbie.;)

yappy
11-19-2008, 20:00
I wish I could come.....rats !

D'Artagnan
11-20-2008, 09:49

Y'all behave!

You could bring them along and show them the fine folks with whom you now associate. :eek:

Marta
11-20-2008, 10:27
If you promise to be thinking about us,I promise not to be sore at you.But in case something changes we sure would be glad to have you and your hubbie.;)

I will definitely be thinking about y'all.

You could bring them along and show them the fine folks with whom you now associate. :eek:

Alas, she has to get to the airport at an inconvenient time. For an urban professional, she's pretty game. She hostessed me and slacked me for several days while I was hiking thru MA and CT in '06. Treated me to fresh doughnuts for breakfast. A true friend! I owe her.

Ron Haven
11-22-2008, 23:33
I wish I could come.....rats !If you find out you can come to it,bring Sarah with you.

Sly
11-22-2008, 23:50
If you find out you can come to it,bring Sarah with you.

LOL.. I used to call her turkey but after seeing what her governor does to them, I think I'll call her rat.

gypsy
12-02-2008, 15:59
Yay!!! I can't wait until this weekend. It will be a much needed party.... Can't wait to see everyone!

Lone Wolf
12-02-2008, 16:01
i ain't goin'

gypsy
12-02-2008, 16:04
whatever:rolleyes:

peanuts
12-02-2008, 19:52
well see you this weekend... i should be there late fri night

Ron Haven
12-03-2008, 12:14
I think it will be great.I have had more and more people calling and e mailing in the last few days that they were coming :)

Sly
12-03-2008, 16:05
I'll be there about 2PM on Friday. Does room 10 at the Budget get good Wifi reception? ;)

Lone Wolf
12-03-2008, 18:12
i'm really torn between coming to this party or going to the Pa. 944 underpass trail dedication which is the same day :-?

A-Train
12-03-2008, 18:33
i'm really torn between coming to this party or going to the Pa. 944 underpass trail dedication which is the same day :-?

Throw in Trashgiving for the trail trifecta.

Lone Wolf
12-03-2008, 18:40
i wouldn't even think of goin' to that

Ron Haven
12-03-2008, 23:09
I'll be there about 2PM on Friday. Does room 10 at the Budget get good Wifi reception? ;)I think so but if there was any problem,I have two public computers in the office.

Sly
12-04-2008, 15:07
Here's the latest weather forecast for the weekend.

http://weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/us/nc/franklin/id/28744

FatMan
12-04-2008, 23:34
It looks like I can get over that way on Saturday. Can someone give layout quick agenda with locations so I don't have to read all the way through the thread. Thanks

Bulldawg
12-04-2008, 23:58
Yeah, where will everyone be at 10 or 10:30 when I get to town?

Ron Haven
12-05-2008, 00:36
Yeah, where will everyone be at 10 or 10:30 when I get to town?Come to one of the motels because they won't open the Legion Hall until 11am and that is when I am going to be moving things in and the luncheon stars at noon.and then :banana :banana :banana

Ron Haven
12-05-2008, 00:39
Click on this link and there will be more info on the food and some entertainement options.http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157

fishinfred
12-05-2008, 01:50
Hey Ron
I should be on my way to Franklin right now dang it but I can't get away.:rolleyes:
I hope you ALL have at least as much fun as you did last year
I'm shootin for the Ruck ,not for sure yet tho
Give my best to the boys and Marcella
Thanks for ALL YOU DO !
Be there in the spring for sure!

H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S !
:sun

Ron Haven
12-05-2008, 02:25
Hey Ron
I should be on my way to Franklin right now dang it but I can't get away.:rolleyes:
I hope you ALL have at least as much fun as you did last year
I'm shootin for the Ruck ,not for sure yet tho
Give my best to the boys and Marcella
Thanks for ALL YOU DO !
Be there in the spring for sure!

H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S !
:sunFF we would love to have you.If you can't we wish you and all of your family a very happy holiday season.I will be looking to see you this spring.

Big Oz
12-05-2008, 12:01
Click on this link and there will be more info on the food and some entertainement options.http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157Where will the get together be in the night after the food American Legion? Budget,Sapphire or where?

peanuts
12-05-2008, 13:44
flan is in the oven, i will be there earlier than i was expecting.......

see you there!!!:banana

Serial 07
12-05-2008, 14:01
wishing all who are travelling down (up or around) there a safe trip...i definitely will be there in spirit...maybe, sometime around 11:30 i'll be rattling some chains in room...oh, i'll just surprise you then... :D

Lone Wolf
12-05-2008, 14:18
we'll be there at the budget around 10 tomorrow morning

Lone Wolf
12-05-2008, 14:19
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Magenta][B]flan is in the oven

the hell is flan?

jhick
12-05-2008, 14:20
a fabulous dessert....

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:20
spanish , basically custard with caramel sauce

Lone Wolf
12-05-2008, 14:21
a fabulous dessert....

fabulous? oh christ :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-05-2008, 14:23
spanish , basically custard with caramel sauce

i'd rather have creme brulee

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:25
fabulous? oh christ :rolleyes:

i KNOW, and everyone thinks warrghy is gay :rolleyes:

jhick
12-05-2008, 14:25
you don't see me putting pictures of my ass on the internet do ya? ;)

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:26
i'd rather have creme brulee

well then can i have your flan bc it's definitely better than creme brulee

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:26
you don't see me putting pictures of my ass on the internet do ya? ;)

no but i sure seen YOU putting pics of HIS ass on the internet

Wonder
12-05-2008, 14:27
Ok VOn Frick......I HAVE to know 'cause I'm a big geek. Which Neil Gaiman is that from? I'm guessing MIrrormask

jhick
12-05-2008, 14:28
hahahahaha.... that musta been JOISYhick... not to be confused with me.

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:30
Ok VOn Frick......I HAVE to know 'cause I'm a big geek. Which Neil Gaiman is that from? I'm guessing MIrrormask

for the life of me i don't recall. america something? my daughter was into his stuff and i read it a few years back. i used to post quotes in my classroom tho' from Wikiquote. look there for his stuff.

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:31
hahahahaha.... that musta been JOISYhick... not to be confused with me.

my mistake, you big manly man. how's things goin with your boss?

jhick
12-05-2008, 14:32
Stardust (1999)

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:33
ahhh, jerseyhick hard at work

me too :)

T minus 60 and counting

jhick
12-05-2008, 14:34
my mistake, you big manly man. how's things goin with your boss?

Well I'm still ****ing stuck here....

maybe I shoulda tried your advice ;)

Ron Haven
12-05-2008, 23:29
Where will the get together be in the night after the food American Legion? Budget,Sapphire or where?At Budget Inn :D

warraghiyagey
12-08-2008, 19:09
So... when is this shindig?:)

Wonder
12-08-2008, 21:29
Stardust (1999)

YES!!! Thank you! I should remember this..........it was mine and Gypsys first date:sun

Wonder
12-08-2008, 21:31
So... when is this shindig?:)

NExt week in Mass

Bulldawg
12-08-2008, 21:45
NExt week in Mass

Marblehead, Mass right?

vonfrick
12-08-2008, 22:04
Marblehead, Mass right?

actually i'm in china and i'm just "borrowing" this ip address :p

warraghiyagey
12-09-2008, 10:31
YES!!! Thank you! I should remember this..........it was mine and Gypsys first date:sun
. . . continue please . . . :)

Hooch
12-09-2008, 10:35
YES!!! Thank you! I should remember this..........it was mine and Gypsys first date:sunKiss her! :banana

Wonder
12-09-2008, 14:35
NAh, went for drinks, then we went to a theater that closely resembled a Star Trek Convention to watch Stardust. She told me she had to go for school, but I new that it was research comparison to prove that "m a big ol' geek. But we were most defiantly the hottest babes there!!!!

Gray Blazer
12-09-2008, 14:38
most defiantly the hottest babes there!!!!

Defiane this, please.