PDA

View Full Version : What size bag?

DylanD
09-25-2008, 22:06
Hi, First off let me start saying that my name is Dylan. This is my first post here. I've been wanting to do a Thru-Hike since I was 10, and now that I'm 16, that dream is starting to turn into a reality :) I'll hopefully be setting off in March of 2011.

So now to my question.

What size bag did you use on your thru-hike? I've been thinking about getting the GoLite Quest which is a 4400 Cubic inch bag. But from reading on here, That seems a little overkill. Would the GoLite Purist (3100 cubic inches) be big enough?

Hooch
09-25-2008, 22:18
So now to my question......

What size bag did you use on your thru-hike? I've been thinking about getting the GoLite Quest which is a 4400 Cubic inch bag. But from reading on here, That seems a little overkill. Would the GoLite Purist (3100 cubic inches) be big enough? It's doggone near impossible to say up front if either of those packs will be large enough. My advice unto thee would be to accumulate all your gear excepting the pack first. Once you have all your trash, take it to a reputable, knowledgeable outfitter and show them what you're carrying and how much it weighs. Then tell them why you need a pack. Listen to their suggestions and go from there. Oh yeah, welcome to WB and good luck.

Panzer1
09-25-2008, 23:03
I've been thinking about getting the GoLite Quest which is a 4400 Cubic inch bag. But from reading on here, That seems a little overkill. Would the GoLite Purist (3100 cubic inches) be big enough?

I have the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone 3800 Cubic inch weighing 3 pounds, which is a good size for me. If you go with the 4400 ci bag at least you will have plenty of space. Just don't let the big size cause you overfill it.

But I think the 3100 ci bag may be too small for a thru. If I had to pick between the 2 bags you listed, I would go with the bigger one.

Panzer

BookBurner
09-26-2008, 10:53
Dylan - Welcome to Whiteblaze and thru-hiking! I carried a monster Gregory Palisade (5000 cu.in.) on my thru and filled it to the brim (as most are inclined to do). Having learned the painful lesson of hiking heavy, I now hike light and use the GoLite Jam (3100 cu.in.). The pack that will best serve you depends upon the hiking style you wish to cultivate. If you want to go more on the minimal side, the Pursuit will definately work. If you care to haul a few more creature comforts, the 4400 cu.in. Quest should do fine. I don't think it will be too big.

Blissful
09-26-2008, 13:34
Welcome to White Blaze! My son (Pauol Bunyan) hiked the whole trail at your age. It's a super adventure you'll never forget. And PM Kirby too who just did it this year. I know you are waiting a few years, but it's okay to get some first hand accounts. :)

Anyway, Get your gear first, the pack last. And make sure to go to an outfitter if possible to try out packs when you do get your gear (are there any good ones in OK?). You will need space though for a March start, as the weather can get dicey.

DylanD
09-26-2008, 14:20
Anyway, Get your gear first, the pack last. And make sure to go to an outfitter if possible to try out packs when you do get your gear (are there any good ones in OK?). You will need space though for a March start, as the weather can get dicey.

The only Outfitter here in OK is Bass Pro, and they don't have much of what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty much limited to the Internet. I'm a minimalist by nature so I won't have many "creature comforts". I'll just be carrying the bare essentials.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

BookBurner
09-26-2008, 16:19
"Minimalist by nature" - already starting off on the right foot! You might check out GoLite's Jam and ULA Equipment's Circuit - excellent packs for a lightweight thru. (With a light load, you really don't need the frame sheet or stays found in the Pursuit.) And as for buying the pack first, great advice, but really hard to do. I can't bear to sit around and look at all my other gear with no way to take it out and try it!

JAK
09-26-2008, 17:28
I have the Jam2 at 3200ci and I am a minimalist and think I could make a go of it with that on a thruhike. Its enough for me up here in winter on short 3-5 day hikes. I wish the back pocket was bigger though, big enough for a Kelly Kettle, or I might just add a big mesh pocket somehow. I might add a top pocket. A front pouches is another possible modifications, or water bottles in front and side pockets for something else. Kelly Kettle to big for side pockets but a hobbo stove could be made to fit there nicely.

JAK
09-26-2008, 17:34
I used to agree with get the gear first also. But now I say just keep the pack under $100 and 2 pounds max and get as little clothing and gear as possible and only as know that you need it. Save alot of money that way. Biggest mistake $$ and wieght wise is usually the pack in my opinion. I'll bet there are millions of 5-6 pound packs in peoples closets.

I have one.

JAK
09-26-2008, 17:35
Anyone here on White Blaze that doesn't have an overpriced and overweight pack gathering dust in their closet?

Mercy
09-26-2008, 17:39
Remember, most guys grow quite a bit between ages 16 and 19... so don't be in too big a hurry to get your pack for a thru.. you may outgrow it!

DylanD
09-26-2008, 20:09
Well, most guys do grow, but I haven't grown an inch since I was 13 :P

But again, thanks for all the info from everyone :)

Panzer1
09-26-2008, 22:41
Well, most guys do grow, but I haven't grown an inch since I was 13 :P

But again, thanks for all the info from everyone :)

Maybe your due for a "growth spurt"...

Panzer

DylanD
09-26-2008, 22:49
Maybe your due for a "growth spurt"...

Panzer

Hopefully. I'm only 5'6" :eek:

Panzer1
09-27-2008, 00:40
This is probably a long ride for you, but If you can make the ALDHA gathering this year it might help a lot. It was designed for people like you.

www.aldha.org

Panzer

Lone Wolf
09-27-2008, 05:40
This is probably a long ride for you, but If you can make the ALDHA gathering this year it might help a lot. It was designed for people like you.

www.aldha.org

Panzer

yeah sure. spend hundreds of dollars in gas just to learn about a sleeping bag :rolleyes:

Panzer1
09-27-2008, 11:20
yeah sure. spend hundreds of dollars in gas just to learn about a sleeping bag :rolleyes:

Don't be so negative..

Panzer