Rain Jacket
Shorts
Patagonia Capilene 2 Bottoms
Fleece-Overshirt
ON:
Convertible_Pants
Socks
T-Shirt
Is-this_Ok_for_the_first_leg_of_the_hike???

Panzer1
09-26-2008, 00:48
Add a second long sleeve warm hiking shirt.

And another wicking T-shirt.

Panzer

Pokey2006
09-26-2008, 01:16
Lose the shorts. You don't need them if you have convertible pants.

You do want one t-shirt for hiking (wicking/quick dry), and one t-shirt for sleeping. I agree on adding one more long-sleeve layer. Make it a lightweight one, since you already have the fleece.

strates
09-26-2008, 01:45
I'd argue for keeping the shorts... for laundry and sleeping, the capilene bottoms would work for most, but are a little too close to nudity for me to wear around town.

If I read you right, you'll have 3 pairs of socks total. I've seen many people make a 2 sock system work great, and will be using it on my next hike. Use one pair for getting around camp, and always wear the same pair during the day.

Arguement here is that you may think a 3 pair will rotation will allow you to always have a pair of dry socks, but 3 days of rain in a row, and all your socks are going to be wet. Might as well save the weight (2 oz. for most wool socks) and leave a pair at home.

Just my dime.

Haiku
09-26-2008, 02:13
I'd stick with 3 pairs of socks because in my experience two socks always seem to have holes in them. This lets you mix them up. I finished the AT with mismatched socks, and honestly I might have been better off to have just been barefoot inside my shoes for all the fabric that was left on those socks.

Haiku.

2009ThruHiker
09-26-2008, 07:28
Lose the shorts. You don't need them if you have convertible pants.

You do want one t-shirt for hiking (wicking/quick dry), and one t-shirt for sleeping. I agree on adding one more long-sleeve layer. Make it a lightweight one, since you already have the fleece.

ok-question....if__only_have_the_convertible_pants_it _seems_to_me_laundry_will
become_difficult....the_extra_shorts_were_basicall y_for_the_laundrymat...
suggestions???

and-thanks-for-the-help!

Lone Wolf
09-26-2008, 07:31
i always carry shorts and convertible pants

KG4FAM
09-26-2008, 07:49
suggestions???

and-thanks-for-the-help!
use a rain skirt instead of shorts

Peaks
09-26-2008, 07:56
Rain pants? For me, Frogg Togg rain pants are the only long pants that I carry from late spring to early fall. Even with a late April start, you will probably have some cold wet rainy days of hiking.

JAK
09-26-2008, 08:24
I think it looks pretty good, but here are some ideas to consider.

1. Could you modify it slightly so you can wear everything at once in the worst conditions. Like for socks if 3 pair, 1 pr thin liners, 1 pr medium thick, 1 pr thick and loose. Instead of 2 pair of capilene bottoms maybe 1 pair really light and snug and 1 pair medium and loose.

2. You seem somewhat overkill on bottoms vs top. I think when you have everything on for worst conditions you should have all parts covered equally, with a little extra in the core from groin to armpits.

3. Ideally that overfleece top should fall down below your butt.

4. Consider instead of a tee-shirt worn and fleece oversweater in the pack, wearing a very light but loose merino wool sweater all the time, and leaving a very light skin layer top and wind layer top in the pack. Merino sweater ideally black. Skin layer ideally white.

Lone Wolf
09-26-2008, 08:28
Leaving-April-28th...NB....this-is-my-clothing-list-carried:

Is-this_Ok_for_the_first_leg_of_the_hike???

yes it is fine but you're gonna get 50 different answers from 50 different people. start with what you got. you'll figure it out as you go

JAK
09-26-2008, 08:28
Maybe non-convertible pants if you also carry shorts. Maybe a pair of boxers that look decent enought to be worn as shorts. I think 1 pair of cotton flannel boxers isn't going to kill you, and if they get wet or wash them you can wear them on your head until they dry. It would be nice if they came with pockets though. Maybe add them. Plaid merino wool boxers would be very nice.

JAK
09-26-2008, 08:29
yes it is fine but you're gonna get 50 different answers from 50 different people. start with what you got. you'll figure it out as you goYeah, if you have all of that already you are good to go.

Blissful
09-26-2008, 13:45
Won't need a balaclava for late April, IMO. Regular hat will suffice, but that's up to you. Are you planning to go commando? You will get cold temps at times until mid May, so layering is definitely necessary. I took a Montbell synthetic jacket - but after May 30th, didn't need it until New England.

2009ThruHiker
09-26-2008, 20:12
Won't need a balaclava for late April, IMO. Regular hat will suffice, but that's up to you. Are you planning to go commando? You will get cold temps at times until mid May, so layering is definitely necessary. I took a Montbell synthetic jacket - but after May 30th, didn't need it until New England.

dumb_question...but-what_is-going-commando?

Tinker
09-26-2008, 20:26
Commando - no undies.

Nightwalker
09-27-2008, 17:22
Your list seems okay. Not a lot of spare crap, which is a good thing.

Here is the list that I've been using for years, and it works well for me. This is for late Winter, early Spring as a start time.

Worn: Bridgedale Trekker socks (They last the best and don't have to be changed all the time). Compression shorts and running shorts with no liner (this keeps chafing to zero and is the combo that I use all year). Cheap, stinky poly shirt (I've got a Capilene silkweight, but the one from Target gets worn much, much more often). Ball cap with a bandanna tied directly under it (this deals with sweat better than anything else that I've used).

In pack:
Spare set of Bridgedales.

Capilene light (#2) top and bottom base layer. Worth the money for me.

Synchilla pullover stuffed tight in a tiny bag. Worth the money for me, plus very light and was a gift from wife.

Army surplus gray poly-pro bottoms.

Manzella liner gloves, often worn when my trekking poles irritate the thumb/finger junction. I get the liners extra-tight, usually one size too small. Manzellas because they last, they feel good and they're cheap.

TNF Wind-stopper gloves, which can be put over the liners or not. TNF because they're cheap and good.

Cheap, poly work gloves which have a good loft and can be worn over the liners and wind-stoppers to create a warmer set than any single-glove setup that I've used. (I hope to get a set of those silnylon rain over-gloves from Wynton at Neel's Gap this winter.) The glove setup that I use lets you go from almost nothing to an extremely warm, cold-weather setup without too much weight or expense.)

Sometimes a set of cheap, Mega-Lo-Mart fake Crocs, but not that often. I wear trail runners (which are comfy enough for camp shoes).

Homemade Turtle Fur copy hat and collar. It was cheaper to make them both than to buy one of them. Much cheaper. I could probably make a pattern if their is any interest.

Marmot Precip jacket. Bought at a year-end sale for 1/2 price.

Sierra Design Hurricane LT rain pants. Bought at an end-of-season sale for 1/2 price. I'll probably replace them this Winter with Precip pants from Campmor, 1/2 priced because the design is "old"--whatever that means. However, they lasted three years and lots of sloggy miles.

I'm pretty sure that that is it. Not much stuff, very comfy in all climates, and not very expensive.

Not bringing much stuff lets you hike further. I'm no UL guy, but Mags and the other experienced UL folks will probably tell you that lightweight hiking has much more to do with what you leave home than what you take. That's very important!

Disclaimer: A few folks here will be happy to quickly tell you that I've never thru-hiked. True enough. I'm just a year-round hiker that puts in around 1,000 miles--or more--almost every year. So maybe my opinion will count for a little something.

I'll gladly discuss gear via PM with anyone who wants to ask questions and is afraid of getting jumped by the trolls. I'm not one of the big-name hikers around here, but I'm pretty darned experienced and extremely interested in helping folks get more out of their hike.

JAK
09-27-2008, 17:31
Won't need a balaclava for late April, IMO. Regular hat will suffice, but that's up to you. Are you planning to go commando? You will get cold temps at times until mid May, so layering is definitely necessary. I took a Montbell synthetic jacket - but after May 30th, didn't need it until New England.I'm not sure not wearing underwear under the capilene bottoms constitute commando, unless you mean when wearing shorts. It's a fair question. Another reason I think its best no to have any more that one of the same thing so you can mix thinks up. I would drop 1 pair of the long bottoms and through in fleece boxers, for more versatility and layering options. Doesn't mean you have to wear the boxers all the time or can't go commando some of the time. I usually hike in boxers and shorts, or long bottoms and shorts, or boxers over long bottoms, or just boxers. Not shorts and commando too often though, but its an option.

Blissful
09-27-2008, 19:43
I'm looking at no underwear under hiking apparel constituting commando (which for my son and hubby helped with the chafing issue) but as a gal, I wouldn't think of wearing my long undies without underwear - but for guys, that's different too.

River Runner
09-27-2008, 21:41
You could consider swapping the fleece overshirt and Balaclava for a Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka. I was very happy to have mine with me on Memorial Day weekend in the WV mountains this year. At 8.5 oz for a men's size large, it's lighter than many fleece pieces.

2009ThruHiker
09-27-2008, 23:00
You could consider swapping the fleece overshirt and Balaclava for a Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka. I was very happy to have mine with me on Memorial Day weekend in the WV mountains this year. At 8.5 oz for a men's size large, it's lighter than many fleece pieces.

This parka looks amazing! Half the weight of my fleece.... I'm wondering if i can get by with this + a base layer for warmth ....

River Runner
09-27-2008, 23:47
This parka looks amazing! Half the weight of my fleece.... I'm wondering if i can get by with this + a base layer for warmth ....

It's very warm for the weight, but it would depend on your start date, and your personal warmth level. I find it is equivalent to a fairly heavy fleece jacket, but obviously not as warm as a thicker down jacket.

Pokey2006
09-28-2008, 00:05
suggestions???

and-thanks-for-the-help!

Ya, the guys are probably right. I didn't think about the laundromat!

I'll put in my vote for three pairs of socks, though, especially if you keep them lightweight. One pair for in camp ONLY. No matter how wet those other two pairs are, don't give in to temptation. It's soooo great to put on nice, dry socks at night, after three days of hiking in the rain.

Having two pairs to hike in is handy, not only when it's wet out, but also when it gets hot. You'll appreciate a fresh pair after a couple days in the heat, when your hiking socks get salty and crusty. And you'll have a chance to alternate, washing one pair out and drying them on the pack while you wear the other pair.