PDA

View Full Version : Granite_Gear_Vapor_Trail

2009ThruHiker
09-25-2008, 23:43
anyone_have_any_luck_long_distance_hiking_with_thi s_pack
_with_more_than_30lbs.???

Pokey2006
09-26-2008, 01:23
I wouldn't go over 30 pounds on a regular basis with it, as it does get very uncomfortable, and the pack simply isn't designed to carry heavy loads. But if you need to go a little over 30 once in a while, like on the first day out of town, it's probably OK. If you're consistently over 30, I'd find a different pack.

Oh, and I did have success hiking long-distance with a Vapor Trail, and quite often going over 30 pounds. But I was never over 30 pounds for more than just a day or two coming out of town. The rest of the time I was probably in the mid to upper 20s. Nowadays, on shorter trips, I'm closer to 20.

Haiku
09-26-2008, 02:20
If you know you're regularly going to go over 30 lbs then the Vapor Trail isn't for you. Pick up the Nimbus Ozone instead, which had a bomber suspension for only a pound more packweight. I've personally used my Vapor Trail for 6,800 trail miles, and love it to death; good thing it's still in excellent condition because I hate the new colours it comes in! It'll definitely pull at your shoulders though when you're over 30 lbs, but I don't tend to do that unless I'm pulling a 6+ day section.

Haiku.

2009ThruHiker
09-26-2008, 07:35
great...thanks-again_to_all.....very_helpful._I_should_be_at_31or 32_pounds
only_leaving_town....but_i_may_look_at-the_other_pack_too.

Footslogger
09-26-2008, 11:33
anyone_have_any_luck_long_distance_hiking_with_thi s_pack
_with_more_than_30lbs.???
============================

In 2003 on my thru I switched to the Vapor Trail in Pearisburg. I was still carrying some of my heavier stuff and the pack (on the scale at the Post Office) weighed 30lbs. Right from the start I knew I had it overloaded. Even with the hip belt fastened tightly the pack would sag. The HDPU frame sheet actually bowed away from my back a bit and I was "shouldering" pretty much the entire load.

First chance I got the heavier stuff was sent home and my total carrying weight dropped to 24-26lbs - - Ahhhhh ...that was the right level. Carried the pack the rest of the way to Katahdin at or around 26lbs and loved it.

Your mileage may vary but from personal experience I would tell you that despite the Granite Gear specification ...that pack does not carry 30lbs very comfortably.

'Slogger

2009ThruHiker
09-26-2008, 12:21
thanks slogger. i will try it out soon with 30lbs to get a feel...and look at an alternative pack.

rafe
09-26-2008, 13:38
The Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone is the "next step up" in load capacity, and it's a very nice pack. I've got a Vapor Trail also, and use it for shorter hikes where the total load is well under 30 lbs.

Bulldawg
09-26-2008, 14:00
I've got a vapor trail and I like it pretty well. It does fold and put more load on your shoulders when you start pushing the 30 pound mark. It does work great for a short overnighter. But much over that for me and I need something else. My issue is that I need a bigger house to hold all this stuff I have accumulated over the last couple of years. I would be in the market for a Nimbus Ozone if someone had one they wanted to part with in good shape. If I get much past two days out in the woods in the cooler months I need a pack that handles close to 40 pounds.

take-a-knee
09-26-2008, 14:51
I've got a vapor trail and I like it pretty well. It does fold and put more load on your shoulders when you start pushing the 30 pound mark. It does work great for a short overnighter. But much over that for me and I need something else. My issue is that I need a bigger house to hold all this stuff I have accumulated over the last couple of years. I would be in the market for a Nimbus Ozone if someone had one they wanted to part with in good shape. If I get much past two days out in the woods in the cooler months I need a pack that handles close to 40 pounds.

If you stuff your Platypus bladder between the framesheet and the pack (I just went from a 2L to a 3L) that stiffens it. Also, I have to question if the pack is too large of a size if your framesheet is collapsing. Anyway, do deadlifts and that'll strengthen your trapezius muscles so you can carry a little weight on them.

Bulldawg
09-26-2008, 15:21
I am thinking that since the pack is rated at 30 pounds and the pack is fitted and works perfectly below the rated load, that it has nothing to do with FIT. And why would I want to do any exercises to compensate for not having the right pack? I will just throw money at it and buy the right pack for the job eventually.

rafe
09-26-2008, 19:09
The Vapor Trail has a thin plastic frame sheet -- that's why it's so sensitive to loading. Load it too much, the frame sheet buckles and it gets very uncomfortable. I guess with luck or some practice you might get the pack "rigid" enough by packing it very carefully and using the compression straps exactly right.

2009ThruHiker
09-26-2008, 20:02
so-after-reading-all-of-this....i-wonder...
i-have-30lbs....29.93lbs.-to-be-exact....and-will-be-carrying-that-
for-the-first-day-only....i-am-right-at-the-limit....
guess-i'll-load-up-and-see-how-it
feels-and-go-from-there...

HOW-do-U-know-when-you-are-saving-for-the-AT-thru-hike????
u-decide-u-can-type-with-dashes-instead-of-buying-a-new-keyboard-to-
fix-the_broken-spacebar-since-
you'll-be-selling-off-everything-in-April-anyways!:D

take-a-knee
09-26-2008, 22:06
The Vapor Trail has a thin plastic frame sheet -- that's why it's so sensitive to loading. Load it too much, the frame sheet buckles and it gets very uncomfortable. I guess with luck or some practice you might get the pack "rigid" enough by packing it very carefully and using the compression straps exactly right.

Yes, and if it sticks up above your shoulders Buldawg, it will "collapse" (that means your pack is one size too large).

Bulldawg
09-26-2008, 22:53
I'm not going to argue with you TAK. The pack fits, you just can't seem to understand that the pack is not designed to hold more than 30 pounds due to the way the thin plastic frame sheet used to save on overall pack weight. More than one person has tried to explain it to you, but you refuse to listen. Anyone who has researched this pack before purchasing it knows that over 30 pounds it starts to collapse, not because of fit, but because you are over the pack's weight limit. So we can agree to disagree.

I was in the same boat as 2009thruhiker here. I knew that for multi day hikes I was going to be pushing the limit just a bit (I am usually at around 32 pounds for a cool weather, 2+ night hike). But I liked the pack weight and design so much I decided to try it for a while to see how it worked. It is not horrible, but it is not ideal either. It is a PERFECT May-early September pack and/or a PERFECT one nighter pack.

You can do exactly what you want to do 2009thruhiker, Mountain Crossing is only 30 miles and 3 or 4 days into the hike. if you find that the pack doesn't work for you by then, have Winton call me, I might buy it off of you and let him put you in a Nimbus Ozone.

bkrownd
09-27-2008, 05:42
I would be in the market for a Nimbus Ozone if someone had one they wanted to part with in good shape. If I get much past two days out in the woods in the cooler months I need a pack that handles close to 40 pounds.

Heh, give it a test drive. I don't know what weight exactly I put in my nimbus ozone the first time I used it, but I definitely went "over the limit" in a practical sense and it was paaaainful for the first couple of days, until I could safely unload a few liters of excess emergency water. The comfortable carrying capacity of the pack was less than I expected. Think i had 7 liters of water in the beginning as the core of the pack, and too much food and clothes. Next time I test the load thoroughly BEFORE getting in the helicopter....egads. Can't really skimp much on the water, though.

rafe
09-27-2008, 09:29
Heh, give it a test drive. I don't know what weight exactly I put in my nimbus ozone the first time I used it, but I definitely went "over the limit" in a practical sense and it was paaaainful for the first couple of days, until I could safely unload a few liters of excess emergency water. The comfortable carrying capacity of the pack was less than I expected. Think i had 7 liters of water in the beginning as the core of the pack, and too much food and clothes. Next time I test the load thoroughly BEFORE getting in the helicopter....egads. Can't really skimp much on the water, though.

IMO, if you're carrying a load too large for the Nimbus Ozone, you might be better off with an external frame pack. I know from experience the N.O. is good for 35-38 lbs. in comfort. (Carrying a weeks' worth of food in a bear canister on the JMT.)

workboot
09-27-2008, 09:41
Ijust purchased a Vapor Trail last month.I have finally got my pack weight down to 26-28 pounds including food (3 days) and water.So far the pack seems to be just fine with that amount of weight , however I would not want to go much over that or I sense it would not handle the load very comfortably. If you can keep it under 30 pounds the pack is excellent.

take-a-knee
09-27-2008, 09:52
Well, I don't have a bit of a problem carrying 35# with a Vapor Trail. Maybe it isn't the pack that is overloaded in many cases?:-?

Bulldawg
09-27-2008, 09:57
Well, I don't have a bit of a problem carrying 35# with a Vapor Trail. Maybe it isn't the pack that is overloaded in many cases?:-?

Great for you then. But when so many people here and people I know tell me that approaching the 30 pound mark that the pack starts to collapse, then I take them at their word. But for some reason you can't seem to grasp that fact; you are right and everyone around you is wrong. Maybe you are simply trolling for an argument, not sure here yet (but leaning that way). But you will not get one from me. I know my pack fits me the way the pack was designed to fit. I know that when I get much above 30 pounds it starts to collapse. I also know many other people who have experienced this. It is a great pack, low weight, nice simple layout, etc. I am not trying to take anything away from the pack. I am simply saying that if you are wanting to comfortably carry 30+ pounds, their are better packs out there. I am happy that it works for you above that weight.

Footslogger
09-27-2008, 11:13
[quote=2009ThruHiker;702155]so-after-reading-all-of-this....i-wonder...
i-have-30lbs....29.93lbs.-to-be-exact....and-will-be-carrying-that-
for-the-first-day-only....i-am-right-at-the-limit....
guess-i'll-load-up-and-see-how-it
feels-and-go-from-there...
==================================

Honestly ..if you are starting at 29lbs and going down from there you'll probably be OK. I hiked out of Pearisburg with 30lbs and day by day as I began to consume my food the pack weight dropped and it got more comfortable.

At least that is what I would tell you from personal experience.

'Slogger

SteveJ
09-27-2008, 14:28
I've carried a GGVT for 4 season SE camping for about 5 years. I've comfortably carried it with approaching 40 lbs at the start of at least one trip. I do use the bladder pocket, and usually start with a full 2L bladder, so may get additional support from the bladder. I've linked a trip report from a couple of years ago where I note the weight of the pack.

I strongly agree that this pack is not designed to routinely carry that much weight. I do remember noting the frame bending a couple of times at the beginning of the trip. I have carried the pack with 30 - 35 lbs many times (winter camping), and have not had this happen at that weight range.

I love this pack, especially for pack weight in the 20 - 30 lb range. It should work very well for you.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=349933&postcount=5 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=349933&postcount=5)