PDA

View Full Version : Hanover news

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2008, 14:50
A few changes in retail stores: Omer and Bob's Sporting Goods on Allen St. downtown, where many hikers have bought outerwear, accessories, and shoes over the years, will be leaving town in a few weeks, and relocating to nearby Lebanon.

But a brand new Outfitter has opened, The Mountain Goat. It's at 68 South Main St., on the corner opposite the gas station/convenience store. This is part of the same company that has stores in Williamstown MA and Manchester NH. Nice looking shop, very nice staff is the good news. Bad news is that at least for the moment, they seem to be specializing in high-ticket outerwear for rich people who enjoy looking hale and outdoorsy. There is an OK shoe selection, but actual "Outfitter" stuff, i.e. stuff that real hikers may need, is presently limited to just a few shelves. Meaning you can get cannister fuel and Aquamira here, but not a whole lot else. Folks needing stuff like filter cartridges or stove repair kits etc. will still have to go to the full-service Outfitters in West Lebanon (Eastern Mountain Sports or L.L. Bean). Good news, tho, is that the manager says that by next year's hiking season, they'll be adding more actual hiker stuff. Time will tell. Must say, however, that speaking as someone who was really looking forward to the return of a full-service top-of-the-line Outfitter to Hanover, the shop is, at present, a major disappointment. However, it's sure to be a big hit among doctor's wives, Dartmouth professors, and business school students who simply can't ever seem to find enough 200-dollar sweaters.

OregonHiker
09-26-2008, 14:53
A few changes in retail stores: Omer and Bob's Sporting Goods on Allen St. downtown, where many hikers have bought outerwear, accessories, and shoes over the years, will be leaving town in a few weeks, and relocating to nearby Lebanon.

But a brand new Outfitter has opened, The Mountain Goat. It's at 68 South Main St., on the corner opposite the gas station/convenience store. This is part of the same company that has stores in Williamstown MA and Manchester NH. Nice looking shop, very nice staff is the good news. Bad news is that at least for the moment, they seem to be specializing in high-ticket outerwear for rich people who enjoy looking hale and outdoorsy. There is an OK shoe selection, but actual "Outfitter" stuff, i.e. stuff that real hikers may need, is presently limited to just a few shelves. Meaning you can get cannister fuel and Aquamira here, but not a whole lot else. Folks needing stuff like filter cartridges or stove repair kits etc. will still have to go to the full-service Outfitters in West Lebanon (Eastern Mountain Sports or L.L. Bean). Good news, tho, is that the manager says that by next year's hiking season, they'll be adding more actual hiker stuff. Time will tell. Must say, however, that speaking as someone who was really looking forward to the return of a full-service top-of-the-line Outfitter to Hanover, the shop is, at present, a major disappointment. However, it's sure to be a big hit among doctor's wives, Dartmouth professors, and business school students who simply can't ever seem to find enough 200-dollar sweaters.

The laws of supply and demand will always prevail

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2008, 14:59
O.H. is actually correct about supply and demand......I don't dispute that there are probably more folks in this town interested in darling little embroidered vests than there are folks interested in backpacking hardware. And this is an expensive town to do business in, especially on Main St. That's why the last outfitter closed......there rent was ridiculous, and they figured out they could make more money per square foot by selling Dartmouth mugs and sweatshirts than they could with gear. So yeah, it is about supply and demand and what people WANT. I'm not disagreeing with this at all; I'm merely regretting that the long awaited opening of a new "Outfitter" in town proved so disappointing, at least for the moment.

OregonHiker
09-26-2008, 15:18
O.H. is actually correct about supply and demand......I don't dispute that there are probably more folks in this town interested in darling little embroidered vests than there are folks interested in backpacking hardware. And this is an expensive town to do business in, especially on Main St. That's why the last outfitter closed......there rent was ridiculous, and they figured out they could make more money per square foot by selling Dartmouth mugs and sweatshirts than they could with gear. So yeah, it is about supply and demand and what people WANT. I'm not disagreeing with this at all; I'm merely regretting that the long awaited opening of a new "Outfitter" in town proved so disappointing, at least for the moment.

Perhaps you could use your powers of persuassion to convince the proprieter to stock some items that thru-hikers would want that were appropriately priced to include the proper overhead expense.

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2008, 15:33
Have already tried this, OH, with limited success. Store manager has said that they'll be devoting more spaceto gear as next year's hiking season approaches and arrives, and I hope this proves to be the case. I've already suggested that they carry fuels by the ounce (it'd also be a great way to ensure store visits by hikers). He seemed sorta lukewarm about the idea, at least for the time being. In any case, while I'm sure there will be more here to interest (and to benefit) real hikers by the time next summer rolls around, we'll have to wait and see about how much of this improvement will actually take place. Right now, unfortunately, many hikers will still have to get over to West Lebanon if they need anything beyond basics. In the meantime, the small outdoor store on Lebanon Street, Hanover Outdoors, seemed VERY receptive to ideas and suggestions that would assist long-distance hikers, and they may well act on them if it looks like Mountain Goat drops the ball. I don't expect to be in town next summer, but if I had to guess, I think most hikers next year would be wise to check out ALL of the small outdoor stores in town before heading off to West Lebanon. Luckily, they're all close together, so checking them all out won't be any trouble.

Jeff
09-26-2008, 15:39
If this store is somehow related to the other Mountain Goat locations down the trail, I am surprised by the lack of interest in serving the AT hiking community. Perhaps Jack, you could suggest the manager speak with the folks who run the Williamstown and Manchester stores. Those locations have always been hiker friendly!!!!

OregonHiker
09-26-2008, 16:04
Have already tried this, OH, with limited success. Store manager has said that they'll be devoting more spaceto gear as next year's hiking season approaches and arrives, and I hope this proves to be the case. I've already suggested that they carry fuels by the ounce (it'd also be a great way to ensure store visits by hikers). He seemed sorta lukewarm about the idea, at least for the time being. In any case, while I'm sure there will be more here to interest (and to benefit) real hikers by the time next summer rolls around, we'll have to wait and see about how much of this improvement will actually take place. Right now, unfortunately, many hikers will still have to get over to West Lebanon if they need anything beyond basics. In the meantime, the small outdoor store on Lebanon Street, Hanover Outdoors, seemed VERY receptive to ideas and suggestions that would assist long-distance hikers, and they may well act on them if it looks like Mountain Goat drops the ball. I don't expect to be in town next summer, but if I had to guess, I think most hikers next year would be wise to check out ALL of the small outdoor stores in town before heading off to West Lebanon. Luckily, they're all close together, so checking them all out won't be any trouble.

The market has spoken.

Lone Wolf
09-26-2008, 16:10
it's pretty simple. there ain't enough backpackers going thru hanover to support a backpacking shop

NICKTHEGREEK
09-26-2008, 16:24
To me it sounds like an exceptional opportunity for a 7 month a year business. Or sell ski and hockey skates the other 5 months.

OregonHiker
09-26-2008, 16:25
it's pretty simple. there ain't enough backpackers going thru hanover to support a backpacking shop

Yes, pretty simple....except to those blinded by class envy

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2008, 17:00
Jeff:

I want to stress that the managers of this store are VERY friendly,and I'm sure this extends to being hiker-friendly as well. For now,they've decided what they wish to emphasize in their new store. I have every confidence that as next hiker season approaches, they'll be receptive to ideas and suggestions and will devote more space to gear in addition to
clothing. But the implication that they aren't hiker friendly is both unfair and wrong. Mountain Goat is a fine company and has been serving hikers for years, and I every confidence that this will be true in Hanover as well.

Blissful
09-26-2008, 19:22
Gald you're there, Jack, to help them out and give advice. At least they will have some stuff, and that's good news.

Marta
09-26-2008, 19:55
In '06 I visited both the Mt. Goat in Manchester Center, which seemed to be well supplied with stuff hikers would need, and the one in Williamstown, MA, which had nothing but fancy clothing. They were out of stock of everything from fuel canisters to local maps. It really doesn't take much for a store to supply the basics for thru-hikers--fuel canisters and maps being the main items, with socks and shoes and Leki parts running close behind.

Tinker
09-26-2008, 20:04
I went to the store with Peanut and Wrongway when we were in Hanover. Nothing exciting. If the staff pays attention to what is requested by hikers passing through it will probably improve somewhat. It's all about square feet and product turnover.

mudhead
09-27-2008, 06:02
Thanks for the store update.

mrc237
09-27-2008, 06:42
"hale and outdoorsy" I like that! :D

MKnight
12-06-2008, 23:12
Jack, I would like to meet with you to discuss what we could stock in our pharmacy to assist people on the trail. Mark Knight Eastmans Pharmacy (603) 643-4112

MileMonster
12-12-2008, 13:20
Looks like the finishing touches are being put on Yama's restaurant. For those not in the area, Yama's is a pretty good Vietnamese / Sushi joint in West Lebanon that is opening a location in Hanover. Not sure if they're keeping the West Leb location. The new place is right across the street from the gas station, near the Mountain Goat store. Maybe I'll convince them to make an AT Roll. Any suggestions on what it should contain?

Rumor is someone wants to put a small Hotel in Hanover, too. Not sure how the town will react to that, and not sure if the rate would be thruhiker friendly. However, from what I hear it would be in town. Right now the only in town option is the pricey Hanover Inn. Still many years away even if it happens, though.

Alligator
12-12-2008, 13:29
AT Roll-foil pack tuna rolled in instant rice with a dash of tabasco sauce.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 13:49
Right now the only in town option is the pricey Hanover Inn. Still many years away even if it happens, though.I spent three nights in town in Hanover for free. Not at a persons house or frat house either, but I was inside a building.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 13:50
I spent three nights in town in Hanover for free. Not at a persons house or frat house either, but I was inside a building.

jail?

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2008, 18:04
There will indeed be a new hotel in Hanover before too long, but it's going to be expensive. Not sure what is meant by how the town will "react" to a new hotel. The town has no say in the matter, especially if it is Dartmouth that is behind the project. If Dartmouth wants to put in a small luxury hotel downtown, it's gonna happen, and how the town "reacts" is irrelevant. The hotel isn't being built for folks who already live here, it's being built for menoeyed visitors. The town's reaction doesn't matter.

And there are several alternatives to the Hanover Inn, and they've been here for years. Both the Sunset Motel and the Chieftain are reasonable if you share a room, and both are quite hiker-friendly. The problem, of course, is that they are both well out of town.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 18:07
menoeyed visitors? you finally stumped me on a word

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2008, 18:10
Was writing too fast. Meant to say "moneyed." I.e. well-heeled, comfortable, filthy rich, in all likelihood travelling on someone else's dime.

Clearer now?

Jeff
12-12-2008, 18:28
Is Hanover the most "prosperous" town the AT travels through? Kent, CT not far behind !!

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 18:29
damascus third

mudcap
12-12-2008, 18:30
Was writing too fast. Meant to say "moneyed." I.e. well-heeled, comfortable, filthy rich, in all likelihood travelling on someone else's dime.

Clearer now?
Jack,it was quite clear what you meant. Some folks live for finding anything negative to say,sad.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 18:31
Jack,it was quite clear what you meant. Some folks live for finding anything negative to say,sad.:rolleyes:

wrong mudbutt. it was not quite clear to me what he meant. cram it. :rolleyes:

Blissful
12-12-2008, 20:32
damascus third

I don't think of Damascus being rich. Just old fashioned down home Virginia style (down south that is).

mudcap
12-12-2008, 20:38
wrong mudbutt. it was not quite clear to me what he meant. cram it. :rolleyes:
:D 19,564 posts and yet another ignorant statement,carry on...kid:rolleyes: I wonder just how many people you drive away on this site with your negative crap? Hey mods,is there a rule about name calling?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 20:49
you're so sensitive. so what do you know about hanover? ever go hikin'?

warraghiyagey
12-12-2008, 20:55
:D 19,564 posts and yet another ignorant statement,carry on...kid:rolleyes: I wonder just how many people you drive away on this site with your negative crap? Hey mods,is there a rule about name calling?
I hear ya. I never post here anymore entirely because of LW.

Dogwood
12-12-2008, 21:01
Thanx for the updates in Hanover, Jack. Guess U want me to return that $200 sweater that was heading your way for Christmas? How about a nice hand embroidered vest instead? Would look good with a sleeveless black T shirt? Great to hear U quit the cancer sticks! For a while, I thought U were turning into an eastcoast hiking version of John Mellencamp!!!

mudcap
12-12-2008, 21:02
you're so sensitive. so what do you know about hanover? ever go hikin'?

Been to Hanover MANY times,I know quite a bit about the place. Actually I have spent months in and around Hanover. Many Thousands of miles hiked,but I do not have to pound my chest to get attention.:rolleyes:

Sensitive? Not really,It is just that someone needs to draw attention to your negative/bully/ignorant attitude. :D

Have you ever hiked?:cool:

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 21:03
nope. never hiked. just a packsniffer. some day i wanna be like you

mudcap
12-12-2008, 21:06
nope. never hiked. just a packsniffer. some day i wanna be like you

Cool,I have some tips I can pass along .:D

Tin Man
12-12-2008, 22:34
I hear ya. I never post here anymore entirely because of LW.

yep, he has taken a few out...

...seriously though, LW is a straight shooter... helps those who ask... and shoots those who whine or say some self-serving stoopid crap... but, mostly he is tongue in cheek when he does his thang here

warraghiyagey
12-13-2008, 05:58
yep, he has taken a few out...

...seriously though, LW is a straight shooter... helps those who ask... and shoots those who whine or say some self-serving stoopid crap... but, mostly he is tongue in cheek when he does his thang here

Oh TM - I can't believe you fell for that.:p

rcli4
12-13-2008, 07:57
Please don't refer to Mudcap as Mudbutt. He couldn't carry the real mudbutt's water jug.

Clyde

Lone Wolf
12-13-2008, 07:58
sorry. i confused the two. i certainly wasn't name calling

rcli4
12-13-2008, 08:02
Thank You
Clyde

mweinstone
12-13-2008, 08:30
thank you jack for my new life.

Tin Man
12-13-2008, 19:14
Oh TM - I can't believe you fell for that.:p

oh, i got it bud. just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading mud crap that the wolf is good folk.

mudcap
12-13-2008, 22:05
oh, i got it bud. just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading mud crap that the wolf is good folk.

second grade diploma? maybe third? :rolleyes: