PDA

View Full Version : Bug Net?

DylanD
09-26-2008, 16:37
I'm considering getting the GoLite Shangri-La 1 for a shelter, and was thinking about getting the Nest to go with it.

but do I really need a bug net? Could I survive without one? If I can, I'll probably just get the Floor that goes with the tent.

BookBurner
09-26-2008, 19:06
Most nights you can do without a bug net on an AT thru. But on some humid, warm nights, you'll sure be glad you have one! You'll survive, but it'll be a restless night. If it's weight and bulk that's discouraging you on the idea of netting, you might check out alternative shelters by Henry Shires, Gossamer Gear, and Six Moons Design. They provide lighter options to GoLite's shelters with bug netting included.

Blissful
09-26-2008, 19:18
Not if you plan to do the AT in CT and MA in the summer. You need a bug net for sure if you plan to tent. Very bad there.

DylanD
09-26-2008, 20:07
Thanks. :) I checked out the Henry Shires Tents, and I really like the Sublite. Thanks for the info :)

Datto
09-29-2008, 00:01
I would have been eaten alive by bugs on my AT thru-hike had it not been that I carried a tent. The bugs were way bad in North Carolina, Virginia and Connecticut.

If you're a lightweighter you might consider just wearing a headnet to sleep rather than carrying a Nest -- note the mosquitos have very long beaks and it may be awfully hot out during the summer on the AT (it can also be very cold at night in summer on the AT).

Also, you could look at an A-16 (supported headnet frame type of thing keeping the bugnet off your face while you sleep) but I'd bet it would start coming close to the weight of a Nest.

Datto

smaaax
09-29-2008, 22:52
I pretty much shelter hopped the entire trail. I pulled my sleeping bag liner over my head when necessary, and it worked like a bug net. If you are carrying one you may consider this.

take-a-knee
09-30-2008, 00:10
I pretty much shelter hopped the entire trail. I pulled my sleeping bag liner over my head when necessary, and it worked like a bug net. If you are carrying one you may consider this.

That's a really bad idea, I've sweated zipped up inside a sleeping bag in, of all places, Alaska, with a headnet over my face with about fifty mosquitos sitting on the net whining that dreadful noise they make.

Serial 07
09-30-2008, 00:13
bugs are bad in MA and CT...i cowboyed most of the south thru VA (when weather permitted, which was 85% of the time) and was fine...don't waste your time (or weight) before PA...

Blissful
09-30-2008, 21:13

Or just bring a head net - weighs nothing. My hubby used it as he also slept in the shelter area.

take-a-knee
09-30-2008, 21:34
Or just bring a head net - weighs nothing. My hubby used it as he also slept in the shelter area.

Yes, and if the skeeters are really bad, a Glock so you can shoot yourself.

smaaax
09-30-2008, 21:35
That's a really bad idea, I've sweated zipped up inside a sleeping bag in, of all places, Alaska, with a headnet over my face with about fifty mosquitos sitting on the net whining that dreadful noise they make.

Sleeping bag LINER. Worked great for me many nights.

Tinker
10-01-2008, 01:30
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=87&osCsid=f43718237d06cab5a4a2140439335a92

This one looks nice. I have a bivy and poncho made by MLD. Good designs and well made. Worth the price, imo.