PDA

View Full Version : Those that have been 'stalked' -

d2b2
09-26-2008, 22:55
I'm planning on a thru-hike several years down the road, but am curious about those that have written about being 'stalked' by wildlife on their hikes. How did you keep your distance from the animals- rather, how did you keep from being attacked? Did they just lose interest...?

bfitz
09-27-2008, 00:58
Not something you need to worry about on the AT. Maybe pick up a few fire crackers to scare off pesky dogs.

fiddlehead
09-27-2008, 01:13
Happened to me by a cow moose on the CDT in Montana.
I had been hiking by myself and came upon this cow moose.
I wanted a picture and got out my camera while talking to the moose.
Got the picture, wanted a better one so i kept talking and moving closer.
Got more pics. Finally realized that this cow was going to let me get as close as i wanted.
I started backing away and she started following me.
I wasn't too scared yet but after about 3 minutes, she was still following me.

I went around a couple of trees (there was no trail around as is somewhat normal on the CDT) and started running and ran right across a beaver dam that was there.

I didn't stop for about 5 minutes and when i finally looked back, she was gone.
Was a little scary but i doubt she would've tried to kill me. Just probably as inquisitive as i was about the whole thing.

Yeah, on the AT, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
I'd only be a little concerned with moose in mating season (Oct?) but don't think there's really been any incidents where hikers have been attacked.

fiddlehead
09-27-2008, 05:14
MMmmnn. Just spent about half an hour going through my old pics and finally found the pic of that cow moose i mentioned above.

Tried to post it but see that images are not allowed on this thread.

Bummer.

ps. they allow the dancing banana though. (just look at the banana and picture a moose although she moved a little slower than the banana)

Flush2wice
09-27-2008, 06:37
I was stalked by 2 goats for about 7 miles on the trail in VA.

Gray Blazer
09-27-2008, 07:30
I was stalked by Bigfoot on the FT. It was more of a chance encounter. I made sure not to show any fear or start running, but, I did keep my head turned towards him and walked very fast out of there. I hike with my dog now.

emerald
09-27-2008, 07:47
I started backing away and she [the cow moose] started following me.

Maybe she wanted a picture too.;)

Egads
09-27-2008, 08:18
I was stalked all day by my hiking partner. I just kept going as fast as I could. He eventually stopped chasing when he figured out that he wasn't going to catch me.:rolleyes:

He's pretty amazing though. He gained 2.5 hours on me despite my maintaining a 3.0 mph pace all day.

Egads
09-27-2008, 08:24
Happened to me by a cow moose on the CDT in Montana.

Moose are more dangerous than the Griz when measuring the number of "attacks".

troutseeker
09-27-2008, 09:05
Seriously, don't worry about the wildlife on the AT. It is not as if you are hiking in griz or cougar country. Even the rare black bear attacks are largely in Canada and out West. Don't let an anxiety such as this distract you from the beauty and tranquility of being in the outdoors.

I am not saying completely ignore your instincts of situational awareness however. In fact, from years of keeping my head on a swivel, the mammal I am most cautious of out there (or anywhere) is my fellow man.

Nearly Normal
09-27-2008, 09:54
I was stalked by Bigfoot on the FT. It was more of a chance encounter. I made sure not to show any fear or start running, but, I did keep my head turned towards him and walked very fast out of there. I hike with my dog now.

Is Bigfoot a scared of your dawg?

d2b2
09-27-2008, 09:58
well, I sure am glad that ya got away from Bigfoot.....;-)

Let me re-phrase my question: for those that have been stalked on ANY trail, hike, etc, how did you get away from the critter(s) that were doing the stalking?

and thanks for the replies!

*leaving coffee and candy bars as bribes, er- I mean, rewards!*

JAK
09-27-2008, 10:00
I got stalked by some cows when I camped on Ox Island on the Saint John River. They kept walking right up to be, and wouldn't go away. I slept under a fallen tree so they wouldn't walk over me. Turns out they associate people with food because the farmer probable feeds them or something. Damn farmers, feeding cows.

d2b2
09-27-2008, 10:13

Let me re-phrase my question: for those that have been stalked on ANY trail, hike, etc, how did you get away from the critter(s) that were doing the stalking?

*leaving coffee and candy bars as bribes, er- I mean, rewards!*

JAK
09-27-2008, 10:55
Hmmm. I think you want to study the particular animal beforehand and then when you find yourself being stalked you might better understand his behaviour and then know how to behave. In general, I think hiking with a big stick can send a message to the critters, but also make your own behaviour more confident. In general until you learn more, think of moose as large cows, deer as small horses, coyotes as very shy dogs, dogs as very mean dogs, and a bear as a very big sleepwalker heading for the fridge, and yourself as a burglar. ;)

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2008, 11:10
...but also make your own behaviour more confident.... ;)
There's something there, not sure what, but it seems to work for me. I ride a bicycle everywhere, been doing so for 20 years and I've had numerous dogs chase me, been bit on numerous occasions. Over time I've developed a confidence around dogs and (this sounds kooky) now I can just look at them and I feel a connection, sort of a communication, in which I'm telling them that I'm the big dog here, calm down.

Now that I've moved back here to florida I've started running on the beach, a lot of dogs there and many off their leash and just like riding a bike a jogger kicks in a reflex in an animal to chase. The other day I had a very big dog run at me, with its teeth showing, I never paniced, I just gave it a slap on the nose as it jumped at me and he backed off.

Flush2wice
09-27-2008, 11:24
My ex-GF stalked me after I dumped her. She's Canadian so I guess that explains it.

There's something there, not sure what, but it seems to work for me. I ride a bicycle everywhere, been doing so for 20 years and I've had numerous dogs chase me, been bit on numerous occasions. Over time I've developed a confidence around dogs and (this sounds kooky) now I can just look at them and I feel a connection, sort of a communication, in which I'm telling them that I'm the big dog here, calm down.

Now that I've moved back here to florida I've started running on the beach, a lot of dogs there and many off their leash and just like riding a bike a jogger kicks in a reflex in an animal to chase. The other day I had a very big dog run at me, with its teeth showing, I never paniced, I just gave it a slap on the nose as it jumped at me and he backed off.

I wouldn't try that on Bigfoot. Have you seen those beef jerky commercials?

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2008, 11:31
At the risk of looking like an idiot, I'm a little open to the possibility of bigfoot. I'm thinking about a hike, not on the AT...nevermind.

Gray Blazer
09-27-2008, 16:44
At the risk of looking like an idiot, I'm a little open to the possibility of bigfoot. I'm thinking about a hike, not on the AT...nevermind.

I see you live in Jax. Over by Palatka is Bardin. They call Bigfoot the Bardin Booger as there have been many sightings over there. They even have a Bardin Booger Museum there and the FT heading north of Highway 100 goes thru what they call the Bardin Booger Woods and its not too far from there where I saw the footprints and was watched. My dog may not be a match for Bigfoot (I don't think he is agressive, Bigfoot that is), but, she may keep me from running up on one by accident as I did.

I was skeptical about BF before even though my teenage sons reported seeing him at Buck Lake in the Ocala National Forest 10 years ago. I know Bigfoot exists now and you can call me anything you want (I know no one has yet) and I will not change my mind. Big Foot is out there and yes, he has big feet. I saw the footprints and they were at least 18 inches. I only wish that I had been braver and got my camera out of my pocket and taken photos, but, under the circumstances I just wanted to get out of there. I know he was just as surprised to run into me.

As someone mentioned before, be confident. Don't turn your back and run.

OregonHiker
09-27-2008, 16:50
I'm planning on a thru-hike several years down the road, but am curious about those that have written about being 'stalked' by wildlife on their hikes. How did you keep your distance from the animals- rather, how did you keep from being attacked? Did they just lose interest...?

We were stalked once on the mid-state train in RI for about 1 mile by two cats.

dessertrat
09-27-2008, 17:07
I've been stalked by a red squirrel and by Glenn Close on the AT. No laughing matter.

OregonHiker
09-27-2008, 17:17
I've been stalked by a red squirrel and by Glenn Close on the AT. No laughing matter.

gotta ask :)

dessertrat
09-27-2008, 17:21
gotta ask :)

It was at the same time. It's scary when they gang up on you.

JAK
09-27-2008, 17:23
I've been stalked by a red squirrel and by Glenn Close on the AT. No laughing matter.I understand they can be surprisingly agressive at times, especially amongst others of their kind.

slow
09-27-2008, 20:54
I see you live in Jax. Over by Palatka is Bardin. They call Bigfoot the Bardin Booger as there have been many sightings over there. They even have a Bardin Booger Museum there and the FT heading north of Highway 100 goes thru what they call the Bardin Booger Woods and its not too far from there where I saw the footprints and was watched. My dog may not be a match for Bigfoot (I don't think he is agressive, Bigfoot that is), but, she may keep me from running up on one by accident as I did.

I was skeptical about BF before even though my teenage sons reported seeing him at Buck Lake in the Ocala National Forest 10 years ago. I know Bigfoot exists now and you can call me anything you want (I know no one has yet) and I will not change my mind. Big Foot is out there and yes, he has big feet. I saw the footprints and they were at least 18 inches. I only wish that I had been braver and got my camera out of my pocket and taken photos, but, under the circumstances I just wanted to get out of there. I know he was just as surprised to run into me.

Run...you better eat some steak.:)

Some get it and some dont.......:(

modiyooch
09-27-2008, 21:44
If you are concerned with stalking, don't read Stephen King's book regarding the AT.

Gray Blazer
09-27-2008, 22:05
Run...you better eat some steak.:)

Some get it and some dont.......:(

I will.

Sometimes I do.

slow
09-27-2008, 23:18
I will.

Sometimes I do.

Gary, like i said,seen marks to tall for any black.

IceAge
09-29-2008, 12:29
Uhhhh, what?

Gray Blazer
09-29-2008, 13:28
Uhhhh, what?

Like Slow said.......some get it and some don't.

He was referring to scratches on trees that were too high for a black bear to have made.

ki0eh
09-29-2008, 13:41
A few years ago my wife and I were out for a weekend section on the Finger Lakes Trail and a dog came out of a farmstead along a road walk and ran around behind, in front of, behind, us several times, then he darted off into the woods.

In a few tens of yards we realized that we had missed the turn blaze and the trail in fact led off into the woods at that point.

Typing this I wonder if the dog might have come out looking for us if we had taken longer to realize our mistake.

Manwich
09-29-2008, 15:18
Last week I was hiking alone in northern jersey... like a fool, I wasnt making enough noise and a young black bear stood between me and the AT (I was on the shelter trail for High Point Shelter) and the bear let go of the tree he was holding onto and actually began to pace toward me.

I didn't care about that bear so much, It was mommy I was worried about. I started talking to it, asking it where it's from, if it has a job... He looked perplexed... Then I broke out in song

"Grazin in the grass coz it's green, yeah baby can you dig it?!" He scurried off about 50-75 feet off the trail and watched me. I kept movin while making noise and eventually I lost him.

Montana Mac
09-29-2008, 16:06
Then I broke out in song

I find when I do that it scares away all forms of life!:eek:

Gray Blazer
09-29-2008, 16:53
Last week I was hiking alone in northern jersey... like a fool, I wasnt making enough noise and a young black bear stood between me and the AT (I was on the shelter trail for High Point Shelter) and the bear let go of the tree he was holding onto and actually began to pace toward me.

I didn't care about that bear so much, It was mommy I was worried about. I started talking to it, asking it where it's from, if it has a job... He looked perplexed... Then I broke out in song

"Grazin in the grass coz it's green, yeah baby can you dig it?!" He scurried off about 50-75 feet off the trail and watched me. I kept movin while making noise and eventually I lost him.

The bear didn't dig it!

bfitz
09-30-2008, 01:59

*leaving coffee and candy bars as bribes, er- I mean, rewards!*If the locals all carry firearms when they go out so should you. Most animals keep their distance. Don't forget some animals might instinctively chase you if you run or or attack you if you panic. Just try to walk slowly away and try to make a lot of noise. Walk down the trail singing a song loudly or something like that. Maybe blow one of those little safety whistles. Don't let them have any food. Especially on the AT, you only need to take special precautions in a few certain areas with your food, but other than that its extremely unlikely you'll run into anything worse than a pony wondering if you have a carrot. And everything is afraid of firecrackers so if it helps your peace of mind keep some handy. Whatever you do, never, ever, wear bear-bells. Ever.

Nearly Normal
10-07-2008, 17:35

That 'say cheese" moment would have made your 15 minutes.
Buckshot would have made you rich.
I wonder if bigfoot is tasty.
Bigfoot Bar Ba Que?
Where did you say that rascal hangs out?
NN

WalkingStick75
10-07-2008, 21:38
I was stalked by a squirrel on Isle Royal once. Little story behind that one :)

trailmomma4
10-07-2008, 22:55
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
If you are concerned with stalking, don't read Stephen King's book regarding the AT.

What book is that?

kanga
10-08-2008, 08:19

i've never had any instances of stalking while hiking, but i've been tracked out by coyotes numerous times while hunting. freaked me out to be honest since i was by myself. my advice - stay calm, whatever you do, don't run. most of the time, the animals are just curious. or they want to see if you're food. don't be food. be alpha. plus, agressive animals are usually agressive from the get-go and you'd already know.

Tin Man
10-08-2008, 08:25

If dogs are stalking you, check to make sure you are not hiking with Minnesota Smith.

jaywalke
10-08-2008, 09:48
What book is that?

"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"

I didn't find it to be one of his best, or very scary, but it is a good account of getting lost in Maine.

Father Dragon
11-13-2008, 23:47
I've had to break camp at night before due to a determined bear cub. It followed me from Lambert's Meadow all the way over The Tinker (about 4 miles). The bear never so much as bustled so I think it was just curious. There were a lot of eyes in the woods that night though.

Inconsequentially ...
I've also caught a black bear bedding down near my tent before. It just blew and clacked when it realized it was discovered and moved on.

adventurousmtnlvr
11-14-2008, 00:25
Happened to me by a cow moose on the CDT in Montana.I saw some survivorman type show the other day (re-run) but he was in Alaska and said that the male moose was the #1 most dangerous animal in that area .... he was chased up a tree once but that was it. And on some home video show there were several moose or is it meece, lol ... in this lady's backyard and found the old style sprinker funny (2 babies or whatever the proper name is for them) ... they kept trying to drink out of the sprinkler .. too cute. But they are powerfully dangerous so you were lucky.
----------------------
sep. note ... when camping in Seattle had trouble with Linx stalking ... most likely for food ... but then I could have been that, lol. Didn't get hurt ... it just turned over stuff at a picnic table but only the stove and axe etc was out there ... well and the cooler (as I was car camping at the time). Some people on several threads though had trouble with Bear on the AT ... mostly around the shelters though where food scrapes are most likely left.

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2008, 00:55
I've had to break camp at night before due to a determined bear cub. It followed me from Lambert's Meadow all the way over The Tinker (about 4 miles). The bear never so much as bustled so I think it was just curious. There were a lot of eyes in the woods that night though.

Inconsequentially ...
I've also caught a black bear bedding down near my tent before. It just blew and clacked when it realized it was discovered and moved on.

Just Curious - as the bear was, a recent studys found young bears & condors were attracted to bright colors, such as clothes & tents.

Wonder
11-14-2008, 10:27
If the locals all carry firearms when they go out so should you. Most animals keep their distance. Don't forget some animals might instinctively chase you if you run or or attack you if you panic. Just try to walk slowly away and try to make a lot of noise. Walk down the trail singing a song loudly or something like that. Maybe blow one of those little safety whistles. Don't let them have any food. Especially on the AT, you only need to take special precautions in a few certain areas with your food, but other than that its extremely unlikely you'll run into anything worse than a pony wondering if you have a carrot. And everything is afraid of firecrackers so if it helps your peace of mind keep some handy. Whatever you do, never, ever, wear bear-bells. Ever.

I don't know......those bear-bells work wonders for keeping drunk hunters away in PA. Used to wear'em everytime I hiked in the autumn. You hear to many stories about people getting shot at up there. And most of the AT in pa goes through gameland anyway.
I've had hunters call out to me before......I don't think they would have known it was a hiker without them.......never mind the orange jumpsuit or anything

Blue Jay
11-14-2008, 12:11
Great, now people are going to be afraid of cows, kitty cats and squirrels. At least the bear hysteria seems to have calmed down.

sheepdog
11-14-2008, 13:39
It seems no matter where I go, pretty women seem to follow me. I tell them I am married but they keep following me. I have had to threaten a few with bear spray just to get away. I don't dare stay at a shelter and must stealth camp.

Father Dragon
11-15-2008, 23:12
Just Curious - as (where) the bear was, a recent studys found young bears & condors were attracted to bright colors, such as clothes & tents.

The bear was about 30-40 ft away in the grass. It happened at the Pig Farm Campsite near Catawba.

brooklynkayak
11-24-2008, 14:24
Turns out they associate people with food because the farmer probable feeds them or something. Damn farmers, feeding cows.

Had that happen with a racoon that kept wanting us to feed him.

I once had a few guinea fowl stalk me. A few others started to join in and gradually increased to no less than 30. after about a half hour they gave up when they saw I wasn't going to feed them.

I guess there was a farmer nearby who raised them and let them loose to feed or something.

stevie

taildragger
11-24-2008, 14:54
I eat animals that stalk me, lightest form of protein on the trail since it carries itself...

BumpJumper
11-24-2008, 20:04
Momma...glad you asked that....I was going to myself.
Wonder if anyone has read the book? How was it?

Bare Bear
11-28-2008, 01:56
A Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig tried to keep up for about a half mile in a State campground we went thru. Can not for my life remember where it was but I have photos.

Mortician
11-28-2008, 20:56
Please delete.

Plodderman
12-03-2008, 18:35
Just lost interest. I am not sure it is stalking but occasionally I will here something in the distance for a while but it dosen't bother me to much. Occasionally when there are bears around my interest is peaked.

FritztheCat
12-03-2008, 22:47
Great, now people are going to be afraid of cows, kitty cats and squirrels. At least the bear hysteria seems to have calmed down.

Those things don't bother me but I'm developing a healthy fear of bear-bells. :D