PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic Anthology

TankHiker
03-16-2004, 19:27
Hey all.

I was thinking of putting together a "trail magic anthology". It would be a collection of stories about trail magic on the AT - how it happened, how cool it was, and how it impacted your hike. I would compile it into a paperback book, sell it online, and donate all proceeds to the ATC.

Has anything like this already been done? Would anyone be interested in writing an essay about their favorite trail magic to donate to this book?

Just wondering if there would be any interest in something like this. Either reply to this post or email me ([email protected] ([email protected])) if you are interested.

Thanks.

-Tank

Hammock Hanger
03-17-2004, 08:51
but just never got around to it. :datz I think it is a great idea. HH

rickb
03-17-2004, 09:33
Go for it!

Here is a link from a printing company thet I am rather familiar with:

http://www.adibooks.com

One thing that is nice about the site is that you can enter your specs and within seconds they will automatically e-mail you back a quote. For 100 6" x 9" perfect bound books with 256 digitally printed pages, and 4-Color process film-laminated litho covers the price comes back at less than $4.50 a book. Of course there are plenty of other options and companies out there.

All I am saying is that if you do write a book, producing short runs can be very practical these days. And if its a hit, you can always print extra editions! Good luck with your project.

Rick B

Kerosene
03-17-2004, 10:07
I'd be interested and would donate a few anecdotes. Good luck!

Jersey Bob
03-17-2004, 18:00
Tank- excellent idea! I'll buy your first copy.

There are a lot of books that deal with this but they mostly involve situations that have nothing to do with hiking the AT. I think Walking Home by Kelly Winters comes closest to describing the awesome Trail Magic that exists. According to recent communication with her, she is still very close to someone she briefly met through trail magic in the '90s.

Off the trail, trail magic is called "synchronicity", "God-nods" or winks, "coincidence" and a bunch of other terms. The common thread seems to be you have to keep your senses tuned to look for this phenomena. The daily routine of life is often so distracting that the magic is clouded from view.

While hiking on the AT, all the daily distractions just don't exist and is probably why so many people get to experience the trail magic.

Go for it and good luck!

Rain Man
03-17-2004, 18:36
While hiking on the AT, all the daily distractions just don't exist and is probably why so many people get to experience the trail magic.

Bob, I like the way you put that. I've been told that God was telling everybody to build an ark, but Noah was the only one listening. LOL

Anyway, to answer the original question in this thread, I'd donate a story or two if proceeds were going to the ATC, plus I'd buy some of the books.

I know the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club web site has some marvelous trail magic/trail angel stories. Some are almost spooky they're so good.

Rain Man

Jaybird
03-17-2004, 18:55
Yo TankHiker

put me down for one of your books! & i might have a couple stories for you too.

might wanna ck out www.Xlibris.com (http://www.xlibris.com)...they're the company (a division of Random House) that published Model-T's book: "Walkin' On the Happy Side of Misery" (www.ModelT.net (http://www.ModelT.net))& will publish his next book...coming soon....(we hope!) :p

good luck!

Jersey Bob
03-18-2004, 14:00
I've been told that God was telling everybody to build an ark, but Noah was the only one listening. LOL
Rain Man, I like that! I wonder if God is telling everybody to take a hike... so we can see the magic.

Hey, didn't Moses get the Ten Commandments when he was up in the mountains?

Anyway back to the topic, Tank - I didn't mention it in my other post but I too would be willing to contribute.

Footslogger
03-18-2004, 15:28
Tank ...I had so many wonderful things done to and for me during my 2003 thru-hike that I've almost lost track of them. It would be a good exercize for me to document those many "Random Acts of Kindness". Let me know when your project gets off the ground. I'll be glad to contribute to your compilation.

Amazin_Grace
03-23-2004, 11:19
What a great idea, Tank! I will be glad to contribute to this. Jersey Bob was right--my life was totally transformed by the Trail and I'm grateful every day that I got to hike it. "Trail Magic" is real and it's an awesome force.

Kelly Winters ("Amazin' Grace)

TJ aka Teej
03-23-2004, 11:37
"Trail Magic" is real and it's an awesome force.

Comes in many forms too, not just coolers at road crossings ;)
We enjoyed reading your book, Kelly - can this really be your 1st post?
I swear I've seen you on here before!

Jersey Bob
03-23-2004, 11:50
at least 10 characters

Rain Man
03-23-2004, 12:13
What a great idea, Tank! I will be glad to contribute to this. Jersey Bob was right--my life was totally transformed by the Trail and I'm grateful every day that I got to hike it. "Trail Magic" is real and it's an awesome force.

Kelly,

Thanks for your post AND for your book. I enjoyed it so much I gave it to my daughter to read before she hit the Trail and she loved it too. Lots of AT books but only a few "keepers." YOURS is one of those keepers!

And BTW, I enjoyed your recognitions and acknowledgements of Trail Magic! Not everyone "sees" it when it happens, I believe. Good for you.

Rain Man