PDA

View Full Version : Unusual commands?

Jager
09-27-2008, 12:01
Anyone trained their dog to respond to commands other than the usual heel-sit-stay-get me a beer? I'm interested in seeing if anyone has created any hiking specific training/behaviors for their dogs.

Regards,
J.

CrumbSnatcher
09-27-2008, 13:29
Anyone trained their dog to respond to commands other than the usual heel-sit-stay-get me a beer? I'm interested in seeing if anyone has created any hiking specific training/behaviors for their dogs.

Regards,
J.
never really had to teach my dog anything. one thing that pops up in my head,when we were out hiking and came to 2 forks in the trail she'd look back and go left if i pointed left(using my left hand) or go right using my right hand. she was never hyper, and always stayed pretty close.if she did get ahead a little even walking in town or back home,she would not cross streets or roads without me. she'd sit down or come back to me, thats how i knew roads were close. she never seemed to bother anyone around her,i sure miss her.

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2008, 13:35
never really had to teach my dog anything. one thing that pops up in my head,when we were out hiking and came to 2 forks in the trail she'd look back and go left if i pointed left(using my left hand) or go right using my right hand. she was never hyper, and always stayed pretty close.if she did get ahead a little even walking in town or back home,she would not cross streets or roads without me. she'd sit down or come back to me, thats how i knew roads were close. shen ever seemed to bother anyone around her,i sure miss her.
It's amazing how dogs can read our body language.

cowboy nichols
09-27-2008, 13:43
my dogs are taught the commands OFF when some one is approaching They sit and Wait 'til I say O K FOLLOW is another. STAY GuaRD when left with pack. SIT STAY outside of stores. I always fasten them when I go in. LEAVE IT also TENT STAY. I always keep my dogs on leash not because they would hurt antone but for their safty and it makes others more comfortable. I also like hand signals as it is easier around people or when you are in the wood and want ot stay quiet. Often when I have stealt camped I have had people go rather close by and never see or hear us.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-27-2008, 14:17

Regards,
J.
My two respond to "All dogs home"- Turn around and head back. and "Muzzle-Trough" Time for dinner.

Mercy
09-27-2008, 15:02
My dog is a working dog and knows a LOT of commands. Probably two of the most important are "leave it" and "back." Others I use when hiking... "behind" or "first" designating if I want her behind me or in front of me. "Right" and "left" "Over" "under" "around" obstacles. "Wait," "Inside" (go inside the tent) and "foot" (give me one foot at a time until I've wiped each of them off)

There's so many more... but, that's a start.

Two Speed
09-29-2008, 12:30
I've got Barney to understand that if I say "behind" while hiking it means fall in behind me. "Go play" means he can go out in front.

Also "stay close" means close up and don't go wandering.

Toolshed
09-29-2008, 13:07
We used to breed and train Brittanies. Our 13YO male will lay down, roll over, jump back up and bark twice when you yell "On fire". School Kids love it. (Stop drop and roll).

Gray Blazer
09-29-2008, 13:25
My dog, Blaze, heels on the trail, which is good because if we go through a narrow rocky place at the same time, one or both of us will get hurt. Her unusual command, and the one she likes best, is when we get to the uphill climbs I tell her "go" and she goes out in front and actually pulls me uphill.

SteveJ
09-29-2008, 14:40
My dog, Blaze, heels on the trail, which is good because if we go through a narrow rocky place at the same time, one or both of us will get hurt. Her unusual command, and the one she likes best, is when we get to the uphill climbs I tell her "go" and she goes out in front and actually pulls me uphill.

chuckle...I like this...that's the only hiking position Phoebe knows. I finally gave up on trying to get her (Siberian Husky) not to go ahead of me and pull....tons of fun when crossing a creek full of moss covered rocks!

I'll second the "over" - that's one I was finally able to get her to obey....

sasquatch2014
09-29-2008, 15:00
Among all the other things that Hank needs to still learn better as he is just coming on 4 months we are working on " Hold Up" this is when he's ahead of me and I want him to wait. He drops down and will wait until I release him again.

superman
09-29-2008, 15:16
This might be of help?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=dogs

IceAge
09-29-2008, 16:59
Among all the other things that Hank needs to still learn better as he is just coming on 4 months we are working on " Hold Up" this is when he's ahead of me and I want him to wait. He drops down and will wait until I release him again.

One of the most important commands I have ever taught any of my dogs is "Stop!". This command means for the dog to instantly stop whatever it is doing and drop onto its belly until given another command. It is so ingrained into my current mutt that he will stop even if chasing a rabbit, his favorite thing, and drop to the ground.

The word "Stop" isn't used for any other purpose. "Enough" or "Leave it" can be used to get him to quit doing other behaviors.

My dog is bilingual, he obeys most commands in English or in Spanish, which a lot of people find to be funny.

adventurousmtnlvr
09-29-2008, 19:42
I used normal English (well sort of) with my dog (prior to his death) while we hiked. Come back this way ... would turn him around. That water is not for dogs meant bad water and his mother (me - lol imagine that birth, lol) would find him good water. And if he got too far in front of me I merely said either "stay where I can see you" or "wait" .. he knew both of those as well. And like someone mentioned above about a fork in the road .... he had no idea which way to go so he'd run back to me (without me calling him) or he'd wait until I got there. One time he did start on the wrong one and I spoke normal English again "let's go this way" .. he knew way too much English! lol. He'd bark for YES and do nothing for NO and I tricked him to make sure he knew what I said as some thought it was intensity of excitement in my voice. I also had many foreigners say his special words to see if he could make out different accents and he could :)

Nicksaari
09-29-2008, 19:54
i say "chill out!" when Bailey gets over excited. he also knows,"stay with me/walk next to me." my hiking staffs are modified wooden sticks, and he knows that when i am using them he stays next to or behind me.
and to get him to chase anything, i just whisper "whats that?" over and over again and hee run off anywhere to pursue something thats moving.
he can smell dear when theyve been close to our proximity, but only to my visibility.
my biggest worry is him smelling or seeing a bear and going apes**t and chasing after him. they say a dogs heroism can soon turn to retreat and bring an agitated bear back to you.
in the mean time...

Nicksaari
09-29-2008, 19:56
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpghttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28055&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

jcazz
09-29-2008, 20:18
I run and bike(Canicross,bikejouring) with my dog and have taught him the basic sled dog commands. Gee= right, Haw=left, on by, hike=go, whoa=stop. I use a race set up; it works well hiking too. i attach the bungee line to my waist belt and away we go. It's really helpful on the uphill and slippery rocks.

sasquatch2014
09-29-2008, 20:53
We use the word "platz"(sp) for lay down too often people use the word down for other things so this ends confusion at least for the dog. The obedience guy we went to with our first dogs where we picked this up used a number of different commands partly to protect his dogs. This way no one can come up and tell his dog hell and have him walk off with it.

adventurousmtnlvr
09-29-2008, 21:07
I can relate to the obedience person saying use words others do not .... which is what i was also told for his "potty" word. Actually they said, if you have kids in the house (which I never did) to use a different potty word for the dog or the dog might GO in the house when speaking to kids, lol. My dog went on my command weather we were traveling or camping ... especially at night where I'd give him his goodnight potty word so he'd know ... I wasn't getting up for a while, lol (and hopefully he wasn't either) ... but he had a very cute way of tapping me on the shoulder at night meaning he had to go and I'd get up and freeze my carcus off taking him, lol. Gee I miss my only child :(

taildragger
09-29-2008, 21:34
Bait fisherman,

an attack command used by fly fishermen to chase bait fishermen out of their hole in order to lessen the potential of inadvertently killing fish that swallow the entire bait. Meant of course for live bait.

rafe
09-29-2008, 22:24
It's been many years, but our wonderful golden retriever clearly understood the meaning of, "Bucky, die!". He was a great dog, but he could be counted on the get into the garbage if we left him alone indoors. "Bucky, die!" was, in effect, an invitation to spend the next hour or so curled up under the dining room table.

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2008, 16:29
"No Bark" and it works!~, "Drop" and what ever is in his mouth he spits out. "Off" to get off whatever he is standing on.

When excerizing and I am on the Mountain bike I had to come up with something to pass folks on the trail as the dog is leashed "Come on Out" means to pass on the right.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2008, 19:31
I run and bike(Canicross,bikejouring) with my dog and have taught him the basic sled dog commands. Gee= right, Haw=left, on by, hike=go, whoa=stop. I use a race set up; it works well hiking too. i attach the bungee line to my waist belt and away we go. It's really helpful on the uphill and slippery rocks.

We also have our dogs trained to sled dog commands because...well, they ARE sled dogs! "Around gee" and "around haw" are useful to get the dog to go around an obstacle in a certain direction (right or left). Since I lost my voice to cancer last year, I've had to re-train them to hand signals, with snapping fingers and clicks of the tongue as "attention-getters"

Our first Siberian was also trained to "guard" several things: pack, car, house, Mommy, Daddy, and Chris (our son), and when on guard, he was quite formidable. We still miss him, even after over ten years.

saimyoji
10-29-2008, 15:04
"Chopper, sick balls."

leeki pole
10-29-2008, 15:17
My Labs know "hup" with a fist pump over my head which means "form on me" right now. They also know two different whistles....one means "take off have fun" and the other means "look at me."

leeki pole
10-29-2008, 15:34
I also use what I call a "snick" when they're working close to tell them to pay attention....hard to describe, but a click of my tongue and they immediately look at me for further commands....good dogs.

m0rpheu5
10-29-2008, 15:54
I am a bit on the wild side and feel like my dog is a wild animal as well. I do not tell him to do anything he doesnt want to do and he is my right hand man. I treat him like my brother and he is the best. I dont even discourage him when he growls at me lol.

shelterbuilder
10-30-2008, 08:03
I am a bit on the wild side and feel like my dog is a wild animal as well. I do not tell him to do anything he doesnt want to do and he is my right hand man. I treat him like my brother and he is the best. I dont even discourage him when he growls at me lol.

Just as long as your dog recognizes YOU as the alpha....:D

Two Speed
10-30-2008, 08:09
Just as long as your dog recognizes YOU as the alpha....:DAnd doesn't hassle other hikers.

JAK
10-30-2008, 08:12
Or is a teacup poodle. LOL

Two Speed
10-30-2008, 08:23
JAK, even a tea cup poodle can be a PITA if it decides to get into other hiker's food, roll up in someone else's sleeping bag, pee on someone's tent, chew up someone's socks, etc.

I hike with my dog a good bit, but have also seen dogs allowed to be a PITA. I will also admit that my mutt is no angel.

It's well and fine to indulge the wilder parts of your dog and yourself, and I think you should, but when indulging that part of either of you materially affects another reasonable person I think you've taken enjoying your rights to infringing another person's rights.

m0rpheu5, I'm not trying to step all over you, haven't hiked with you and your animal so I have no idea what you consider wild, but I do request that you consider others when hiking with your dog. I'm all about your right to hike with your animal, but that has to be done with the knowledge that what you find wild and fun might be a PITA to someone else.

It is a tricky balance, and I won't claim that I've perfected it.

m0rpheu5
10-30-2008, 16:19
I keep him under control and only allow him to be wild when we are not around other people because i have seen some animals and moreso, their owner being pita, so i make sure we are fun to be around when around other people

the goat
10-30-2008, 16:35
when i make a clicking sound with my mouth, my dog stops whatever he's doing and comes to me and sits at my feet.

rlharris
10-30-2008, 18:17
I can relate to the obedience person saying use words others do not .... which is what i was also told for his "potty" word. Actually they said, if you have kids in the house (which I never did) to use a different potty word for the dog or the dog might GO in the house when speaking to kids, lol. My dog went on my command weather we were traveling or camping ... especially at night where I'd give him his goodnight potty word so he'd know ... I wasn't getting up for a while, lol (and hopefully he wasn't either) ... but he had a very cute way of tapping me on the shoulder at night meaning he had to go and I'd get up and freeze my carcus off taking him, lol. Gee I miss my only child :(

At one time, my "potty words" for my dogs were "make a deposit." :p For obedience buffs/hikers familiar with obedience trials, my command for the sendaway (go out) is "get lost." On the trail, "wait" (less formal than "stay") and "far enough" for when Brad is getting ahead of me on the trail.

Mags
10-30-2008, 18:26
Everytime I see this thread I am thinking Unix...

That's what I get for reading this at work.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sandwich.png

OK..back to my hovel....

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2008, 19:06
"Chopper, sick balls."

Because you mentioned it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzybVDw9i0

makoboy
07-21-2009, 16:18
"Go to jail" and molly runs to her crate.

Blue Jay
07-21-2009, 19:17
Both times I've been bitten on the trail and the one time on a bicycle the owner yelled "It's OK, he's friendly" prior to the bite. Is that a standard command?:welcome

Seeker
07-21-2009, 20:38
not exactly 'hiking' related, but "in" and "out" for getting into and out of the canoe...

i'm also working on training him to stay between my daughter and i on the trail. he is definitely not allowed to run ahead of us. and when we stop, he's supposed to stop too, and sit. he usually does. we're still working on it. :D

Gray Blazer
07-21-2009, 22:37
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/blaze_hits_the_sauce_006.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=26937&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Need I say more?

Flush2wice
07-22-2009, 00:04
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/blaze_hits_the_sauce_006.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=26937&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Need I say more?
Bad Dog! Bad Dog! Drop!!!

Gaiter
07-22-2009, 00:06
I've got Barney to understand that if I say "behind" while hiking it means fall in behind me. "Go play" means he can go out in front.

Also "stay close" means close up and don't go wandering.

your 'behind' is my coco's 'stay back'
'hold up' is to stay close

'okay' is general yes, so if i accidently say 'okay' out loud when she is 'stayback' she jumps in front of me,
'okay' also gives permission to drink water from a source, allowing me to point her down stream from where others are using a source,
'okay' also approves new people, if i don't say 'okay' that person isn't getting in 10ft of me
if she isn't sure about something she gives me that 'can i' face that is just so adorable and has fooled many suckers

Gaiter
07-22-2009, 00:08

Need I say more?

can he carry jars too?

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 20:14
I forgot for when I am on the trail the dog has figured out when "OUT IN FRONT" He now knows LEFT and RIGHT when the trail splits or there is confusion.

The Weasel
11-11-2009, 20:32
When I say, "Fly, Chase," he starts hunting in the air for the bug to catch. Usually does, too, if it's lower than 5'. Loves the taste of mosquitos; you don't have to ask him to work on those.

TW

sheepdog
11-12-2009, 08:53
Both times I've been bitten on the trail and the one time on a bicycle the owner yelled "It's OK, he's friendly" prior to the bite. Is that a standard command?:welcome
Yep, the "release" command is "He's never done that before."

Gaiter
11-12-2009, 09:27
I forgot for when I am on the trail the dog has figured out when "OUT IN FRONT" He now knows LEFT and RIGHT when the trail splits or there is confusion.

Coco follows her nose for turns and cross trails, she has kept me from getting lost many times

The Solemates
11-12-2009, 10:18
my dog

sits
downs
shakes
spins
rolls over
stays
comes upon my whistle

and is very well trained to roller blade with me and not trip me up and go where i point. we go several times a week and he loves it. although at almost 6 years old now i am beginning to notice a slightly less ability to keep up with me when i am going downhill.

Heavy G
02-13-2010, 15:06
I trained my Lab specifically for hiking. LEAVE IT- to get her to back away from something. WITH ME- to drop whatever she is doing and heel, THIS WAY- go right, THAT WAY- Go left. She also barks and growls on command. I wish I could take a huge amount of credit, but Labs love to please their people. Its like gettin struck by lightening and taking credit for it.

Old Hiker
02-13-2010, 23:05

Need I say more?

Why would anyone waste the technology to transplant a HUMAN foot onto a poor, unsuspecting dog? The horror, the horror.........

Roche
02-13-2010, 23:18
I hike and camp with my German Shepherd when there is little traffic on the trails. She is off leash, but I do carry the leash as a courtesy for people - when I see someone I put her on the leash until we pass. Most people don't care one way or the other, but some are very grateful that she is on the leash. I've trained her to stop at when I whistle twice, to return to me when I whistle three times. The dog should be proficient at that before it hits the trail.

Wise Old Owl
02-13-2010, 23:36
Coco follows her nose for turns and cross trails, she has kept me from getting lost many times

Uh the dog follows commands - I am not lost.

Hey Coco reminds me of Toto....but hiking in ruby slippers? Hmmm:-?

Longfan
08-21-2012, 17:30
I have a couple that I use walking that also get used hikng;
"Leave it" Means ok lets stop smelling the smell or whatever he's doing and go"
"Come on" is a genneral where are you get where I can see you
"Hey!" Stop get back here
"OK" again a release anad you can kind of thing
Of course Sit; sit-stay (meaning: place your six here anad do not move till told); down and down-stay
There are also "House" get in your crate; "Off" get off whatever; "Dish" or "get your dish" means go get the thing I put you food in.