PDA

View Full Version : footwear

Pickleodeon
09-27-2008, 13:36
Hi, I just read the recent post on trailrunners "experience with trail runners..." on the straightforward forum and I think I might give them a shot. Right now I have Asolo's tps 520 that I got on sale, but still paid a ton for. I'm in need of something to start me on my thru and unfortunately these aren't doing it for my feet. After a 3 day hike, 30 miles, my feet were wrecked. I've posted a couple of other threads about blisters, socks, etc. and gotten some great advice- the general consensus seems to be new footwear. So ladies, what do you wear, boots, trailrunners? I'll take any advice you'd like to give me.

Pickleodeon
09-27-2008, 14:09
also, any recommendations as far as gore-tex/waterproof or not?

Blissful
09-27-2008, 14:31
I used the Brooks Adrenaline ASR on the second half of my hike last year and made out great with them. I did replace the insoles with Spenco hiker insoles and was careful to make sure the insoles were replaced frequently and to change my footwear after 300 miles. Also on my hike when I stopped I dried out my insoles and let my feet air.

As far as goretex and trail runners, your feet are gonna get wet whether you have them or not.

BookBurner
09-27-2008, 16:48
The only moisture goretex will keep away from your feet is a dewy meadow. Rainwater, creekwater, etc. will find always find a way in (usually through your shins and socks).

MommaJ
09-28-2008, 09:18
After 30 yrs of wearing heels, I now have 2 bunions, one worse than the other. Any ladies out there have the same problem and what have you found that works, if anything. :eek:

Turtle2
09-28-2008, 12:24
I hiked with Vasque Velocities and enjoyed them. My feet were tired at the end of the day (read throbbing on occasion) necessitating Vitamin I each evening, and I have a perpetual callus on the outside of my big toe.

Having said that, I got a pair of Merrell Cruise Control trail runners a couple of Thursdays ago and immediately, with no break-in period, went hiking in GA for three days. NO hot spots, NO tired feet, NO rubbing on the toe. Fantastic! I wish I had these for my thru. Shoes make ALL the difference in a great hike. Just make sure the toe box is roomy and on a good downhill, your toes won't bang the end. I had my feet measured by a New Balance rep who said my feet are borderline narrow. I try and get wide widths for feet swelling knowing the laces can be reworked in many ways to tighten the box. If the feet really swell, there is no way to make the toe box bigger on the footbed, hence the wide width.

I learned to go wide after my first hike of GA when, due to my boots and heavy pack, finished with plantar facitis in both feet. Ugly!!!

Hope this helps.

Live the Journey
09-28-2008, 16:15
I have an odd shaped foot...short from heel to toe but wide across the ball of my foot and narrow through the heel (Think daffy duck feet)

I have found that the Keen Targee II's are great for me and my foot shape (though I've heard horrible things from others on the same shoe) when it's cooler and when my ankles are weaker...when it's not cold and my pack isn't too heavy (or my ankles aren't feeling weak) I switch to my trusty Chacos (with toe strap!) I'm hoping that Chacos will carry me through most of my 2009 NOBO attempt.