PDA

View Full Version : Shelters, Huts and Lean-tos

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2008, 14:18
Along the AT you got Shelters, Huts and Lean-tos; and then you got Tom Floyd Wayside - *** - Why is it a wayside? Maybe it's to fool all thru-hikers into thinking they can get one more blueberry milkshake. Everytime I've been through SNP, hikers ask what they got at the upcoming waysides, after being updated, then they ask: "But what about Tom Floyd Wayside..." Kind of tempting to play a cruel joke on some clueless hiker:D.

bigcranky
09-27-2008, 17:20
Yeah, I knew, and I was still disappointed. But it is one of the nicer shelters -- skylights, huge deck. I half expected a gas grill.

Blissful
09-27-2008, 21:45
Surprise, surprise!!

Yeah, it is a little confusing. But a nice shelter area, anyway.

The Old Fhart
09-27-2008, 22:15
The only hikers that would be surprised by finding limited facilities at Tom Floyd Wayside are the unprepared ones who don't carry one of the many databooks or thru-hiker handbooks available. If they want to cut corners, they pay for it. No different than knowing where any resupply point is. Do the basic research.

Pedaling Fool
09-28-2008, 10:19
...and you're an old fart.

The Old Fhart
09-28-2008, 10:29
John Gault-"...and you're an old fart."...and how does that statement support your position? :D

Pony
10-02-2008, 16:37
Along the AT you got Shelters, Huts and Lean-tos; and then you got Tom Floyd Wayside - *** - Why is it a wayside? Maybe it's to fool all thru-hikers into thinking they can get one more blueberry milkshake. Everytime I've been through SNP, hikers ask what they got at the upcoming waysides, after being updated, then they ask: "But what about Tom Floyd Wayside..." Kind of tempting to play a cruel joke on some clueless hiker:D.

They could even be tricked into thinking they could find water there.

sasquatch2014
10-02-2008, 20:01
I was luck in that the owner of Terrapin Station where i left my car for my trip through the SNP told me that the water was almost nonexistent at the wayside so I hauled 3+ liters up from Rt 522. Welcome to day one of the trip full water, full food, full fuel and breathing heavy.