PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

rmtjr
03-16-2004, 22:04
What do you think about Ray Jardine's recommendation to hike in running shoes instead of boots?

torch
03-16-2004, 22:44
Its a personal choice. I hate hiking in shoes. I like big, sturdy boots with lots of support. I don't notice the extra weight of boots, and just don't like the feel of hiking in shoes. But to each his (or her) own!

Chip
03-16-2004, 22:45
I vote for a good pair of hiking boots. Lightweight with good soles. I wear Asolo Fusion 95 GTX. Sometimes still wear my old Asolo AFX 535 which to me are heavy compared to the 95s. A good solid boot is going to save your feet from being bruised. I try to watch my step but sometimes that rock or root will reach up and try to trip me and I can tell you I have taken a few dives into the dirt. Logically boots will last longer. On a rainy day I don't think I want wet running shoes on, never had many blisters, want to keep it that way !
In camp or at the shelter I wear Tevas and give my feet a rest from the boots. Boots, socks can dry out if needed. I have tried day hikes in sneakers and didn't like the feeling of tired sore feet. Hey, that's just me. Some folks might have better luck.
Best Wishes on your choice!
Chip :)

attroll
03-17-2004, 00:46
I have used nothing but hiking boots in the past. But I have read people saying that they used Nike 806's and they worked good. So I figured I would give it a try. I was in a sporting goods store this last Sunday and I got real lucky. They had them for half price. I was excited. I paid onlt $40 for them. If they don't work out as hiking sneakers then I will use them for household sneaker. Now I just need this weather to clear up so I can do some hiking. It is snowing here in Maine right now.

bearbait2k4
03-17-2004, 01:36
I switched from boots to shoes mid-trail, and loved the shoes. There are positives and negatives to both, really, and it all depends on what you are willing to put up with.

I found that with my boots, I felt as if I was carrying 10 more pounds on my back, I got blisters like mad, and they took YEARS to try out.

With the shoes, I had fewer blisters, the extra weight that I felt disappeared, and they dried a lot faster. My ankles are strong, though, but I know a few people who actually felt their ankles strengthen without the rigid support of the boot. In shoes, you could feel the rocks and pebbles a lot more, but, in my opinion, it was worth the switch.

zammy
03-17-2004, 04:29
I weight 210, my pack 32, sprained my ankle 10 days ago. Comes April 12th I'm going to wear boots. I plan to try my NB806 comes warmer weather and less mountains days.

Jaybird
03-17-2004, 06:18
What do you think about Ray Jardine's recommendation to hike in running shoes instead of boots?

RMTJR

preferences for trail footwear are as varied as the hikers wearing them..........& Ray Jardine's opinion is..........well, Ray Jardine's opinion (if you get my drift)

i own a pair of NB806s, (actually i own 2 pair...got the 2nd as Christmas present) love to WALK in them & often wear them to work (casual atmosphere)...but, i never wear them on the trail....

i broke & sprained my ankles in the past...& need/want a sturdy boot with plenty of ankle support! (VASQUE Sundowners MX-2)

I LOVE 'EM!

good luck with your hike :D

Peaks
03-17-2004, 10:34
Whatever your footwear choices are, the heavy traditional all leather hiking boot is out. Anyone who starts with them seems to quickly change to something lighter.

How light you go is influenced by how heavy your pack is. The lighter your pack, the lighter footwear you can get by with.

Trail running shoes (like the New Balance 806) are popular.

flyfisher
03-17-2004, 10:51

It is worth trying, IMHO.

I have hiked in NB805s and NB806s. Both work great with my ultralight gear on my back on the AT. This winter, I have been experimenting with Nike GoreTex "Air"s. They seem like they will make great spring hiking shoes with Gaiters while it is still cold.

When it gets warm, I generally switch to Chaco Sandals. These work great as long as I use a bit of oil on the edges of my foot caluses once a day to keep them from cracking. About half the NOBO thruhikers I met on Mt. Washington last July were wearing Chaco sandals while they were hiking. It was probably just a statistical blip. But they seemed to love them.

My goal is to keep my feet dry to avoid blisters. Sandals do this even if I forget an hourly break to air my feet.

gravityman
03-17-2004, 11:28
Trail runners are the way to go. The running crowd knows a whole lot more about what you need to keep your feet happy over long miles more than the hikers for some reason. The running shoe companies have put a lot of research and thought into their design.

There are two things trail runners have that boots don't. First is cushioning. Boy, that makes a big difference to me. Second is motion control. The is a natural way your foot is suppose to hit the ground and recover for the push off. Few people have a really good foot strike. The motion control helps make your foot pronate properly to absorb the shock (this helps the knees) and to recover for the next step.

Boots - they are just big and heavy. No thought put into cushioning or anatomical motion of the foot as far as I can see...

Gravity Man

jec6613
03-17-2004, 11:50
Newer boots have improved imensly. While certain types of boots still require a traditional break-in period (field boots mostly) a good pair of hiking boots will fit your feet like a glove once you put them on, and they're also now incorporating much of the technology from running shoe companies. I perfer Hi-Tec boots, I find they fit my feet better and keep them drier (they're used extensively by paramedics and cops since they come in polishable black) than the Nikes I wear every day. Of course, I also have perscription orthodics so that my feet do strike the ground incredibly well to begin with.

jersey joe
03-17-2004, 11:56
Hey Peaks,
I hiked my thru in 02' with "heavy traditional all leather hiking boots" and thought they worked out just fine. Boots do offer more protection for your feet and ankles, so I wouldn't rule them out completely when chosing your footwear. To be fair, my boots did finally wear out with 150 miles to go and I wound up hiking the last 150 miles of my thru in sneakers, and that worked out ok too.

Whatever your footwear choices are, the heavy traditional all leather hiking boot is out. Anyone who starts with them seems to quickly change to something lighter.

How light you go is influenced by how heavy your pack is. The lighter your pack, the lighter footwear you can get by with.

Trail running shoes (like the New Balance 806) are popular.

borntired
03-17-2004, 16:45
While sloshing my way through the SNP during a wet spell last year, I asked every boot-wearing thru-hiker or otherwise experienced looking long-distance hiker that I saw the same question.
I always got the same answer.
Q - "So, are your feet staying dry in those boots?"
A - "&#$@ no."
I wore up-over-the-ankles boots first time I was on the AT and still managed to twist my ankle. AND my feet sweated like crazy.
Since then it's been hundreds of miles in running shoes, smilin' all the way.

Peaks
03-17-2004, 17:19
Hey Peaks,
I hiked my thru in 02' with "heavy traditional all leather hiking boots" and thought they worked out just fine. Boots do offer more protection for your feet and ankles, so I wouldn't rule them out completely when chosing your footwear. To be fair, my boots did finally wear out with 150 miles to go and I wound up hiking the last 150 miles of my thru in sneakers, and that worked out ok too.

Like everything else, there is a wide variety of gear out there being used. So, if you wore the traditional hiking boots, how many others did you see wearing similiar ones? Very few I suspect.

But, certainly with the heavy shank Pennsylvania was much more pleasant for you.

If you got 2000 miles out of those boots, I'd say you got your moneys worth out of them. Rest in peace. Even the traditional boots don't usually last that long.

mattyg2
03-17-2004, 18:14
I recently switched from the traditional heavy hiking boot to trail runners and am kicking myself for waiting so long. EMS had a pair of montrails on clearance, so I decided to give it a try. My pack definately feels lighter at the end of the day, and my feet no longer feeled like ground beef after a long hike. The trail runners have great tread (better than my sneakers) and a very soft foot bed.

matt

bailcor
03-17-2004, 19:41
I vote for trail shoes. I now have New Balances and find that they give me greater agility without the blisters. They get wet just like Jardine says but you hike them dry in no time flat. My experience with gore-tex was that they got just as wet, from inside. The problem was they wouldn't dry. I not only got blisters from the boots, they turned into a great case of trench foot and ultimately forced me to get off the trail. My feet will never see gore-tex again. Ka-Bar

Glee
03-17-2004, 20:03
I plan on being at the trail head in GA on April 15th. I've been training for this for 6 months. Putting in up to 18 miles a day in some very steep, rugged mountains. I've been wearing an old pair of tennis shoes I got 3 years ago at payless for @ $15.00. The real kicker is that they are one size bigger then my normal shoe. The sides are blown out and they are falling apart at the seems. I wanted to wait until I could find a good pair of boots and have the time to try and break them in. So after a few day of trying of boots I went with REI best boot that worked for me. I wore them for 10 hours before I even stepped outside in them. The 1st day I did I went a short distance of about 5 miles. By the time I got back my feet were trashed. The blisters were so bad I had to take 3 days off. I tried everything.. 2 pair of hiking socks (1 Nylon next to the foot) I taped them and on and on but I tried to make it out the door and after 3 miles had to turn around and call it quits. I took the boots back yesterday and went out today for about 3 hours in my old beat up tennis shoes. I didn't wear a pack but I need to try and find something quick. I'm going to be hauling a Gregory Whitney with about 40 lbs. I'm really tossed between what to get at this point. I'm a few hours from any major supplier or city so this cuts into my training and time needed to get ready for my trip... Any ideas, suggestions?
Glee

Kozmic Zian
03-17-2004, 20:11
Yea.......Boots. It depends on so many variables. Are you out for a couple days or a Thruy. Do you have soft feet, ankles, knees. Hiking footwear is like backpacks, tents (hammocks), shelters, and everyother piece of gear, very personal and depends on the choices. Personaly, I like more protection, from scree, roots, bottom intrusion, ankle pronation, toe stubb(ow!), and wetness(although that's debateable too), so, I opt for boots, usually too heavy, but they last for boucou miles. The lighter you hike(total gear), the less, IMHO, you need heavy boots. If you weigh over 200lbs and carry 30lbs or more, IMHO, you need heavier boots. If you weigh 160 or less and carry 25lbs or less, chances are you can get away with trail shoes. The main problem for me, is intrusion of rock and scree from the bottom. That kills my feet. I need a full shank(steel). If someone would tell me of a 'trail shoe' that weights less than 2.8oz, and has a full shank, I'd be willing to at least look at it. KZ@

retread
03-18-2004, 00:14
Peaks said it all.....you don't want running shoes with a 40 lb. pack and you don't need heavy boots with a 20 lb. pack.

I agree with bearbait...my ankles got stronger on the hike. I now hike in trail shoes. I've had good results/mileage/comfort from Montrail Storms, Lowa Tempest Lows and currently am wearing Merrell Pulse. I cannot imagine ever wearing boots again...but my pack weight is now 30 lb. or less.

I wore out two pair of Salomans and finished on a pair of Merrells I bought in Cheshire.

If you want WARM feet even when they're wet, use goretex socks. Wear a sock liner under them and your hiking sock over them. I learned this from Koonacky who hiked from Damascus to Katahdin in running shoes.

Peaks
03-18-2004, 09:31
So, heavy boots tore up your feet. What do you do?

As much as anything, you need to break in your feet as much as break in your boots. I know. I hiked 300 miles with one hiking shoe and without blisters. Then put away my boots for the winter. Next spring I had blisters when I started hiking again.

So, assuming that the fit is good, one solution is to wear the boots you have often. Wear them around town, work, house, etc. Your feet with get conditioned to them.

If you are looking for something different, then the issue is how close to a tennis shoe do you want. Like others, if you don't want to go with trail runners, then you might consider low cut hikers (like the Lowa's) or mid hieght hikers.