PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65 - Granite Gear Vapor Trail

Jah
09-27-2008, 15:40
I'm looking into these two packs and have some questions. Anyone who has extensively used both packs your general opinion/comparison would be much appreciated.

Do each of these packs get upgraded/released with minor changes each year? And when do the newer versions hit the market each year? I'm assuming they at least alter colors by year but am curious how the packs evolve and when the best time to buy would be, possibly getting a deal on last years model.

I've narrowed it down to these two packs, have looked at an Osprey in person but cannot find any local dealers of Granite Gear. I'm considering ordering them both from an online dealer, trying them out around the house with my gear, and sending the one I don't like as much back. I'm thinking REI might be the best place to do this through but other suggestions are welcome.

I tried on a large Osprey in the store and it seemed to fit my frame well, but there was no medium for comparison. I'm 6 feet tall, 20.5-21" torso, 175 lbs, 33" pant waist. I'd love to know what other people's measurements are that have used the Atmos 65 and/or Vapor Trail and what size they use. Looking at the Vapor Trail fitting specifications it looks like I would fit more in the top range of the medium but it's so hard to tell. I'm almost right between on measurement recommendations for packs but am leaning towards trying large in both.

I'd like to get some discussion of these issues as well as any other relevant to these two packs. The weight gain of the Atmos 65 basically balances out the extra features you get in my mind, so the weight of the packs is not very relevant. I love the idea of having the sleeping bag compartment capable of putting wet items in, I have a Seedhouse SL2 I imagine would fit nicely in there.

One of my concerns with the Osprey pack is the mesh back ripping/falling apart. How durable are Osprey packs and how good is the warranty from them?

Thanks.

KG4FAM
09-27-2008, 17:17
One of my concerns with the Osprey pack is the mesh back ripping/falling apart. How durable are Osprey packs and how good is the warranty from them?I have seen nobo thru hikers in maine with this pack and their mesh panels are were fine.

Joe8484
09-27-2008, 18:11
I've had the Atmos 65 Medium for a year now. If I'm not mistaken it was a new model to Ospreys line up 2 years ago. With no changes this year, including color. Osprey redesigned other models over the winter last year.

As far as features go, I like to hang my water bladder inside the mesh "Airvent" pocket. Because the cold water cools off my back.

The sleeping bag compartment is not as convenient as I thought it would be.

The built in whistle is nifty

Hip pockets are not ergonomic to access (this prob varies by waist size. I'm 36in)

Overall I am not a huge fan of the bag. Mainly because I feel the bag is hard to pack because of the airvent back.

walkin' wally
09-27-2008, 18:15
:-?
I've had the Atmos 65 Medium for a year now. If I'm not mistaken it was a new model to Ospreys line up 2 years ago. With no changes this year, including color. Osprey redesigned other models over the winter last year.

As far as features go, I like to hang my water bladder inside the mesh "Airvent" pocket. Because the cold water cools off my back.

The sleeping bag compartment is not as convenient as I thought it would be.

The built in whistle is nifty

Hip pockets are not ergonomic to access (this prob varies by waist size. I'm 36in)

Overall I am not a huge fan of the bag. Mainly because I feel the bag is hard to pack because of the airvent back.

Do you think this is the pack you will use on a thru hike? I just bought one the other day.

Joe8484
09-27-2008, 18:51
:-?

Do you think this is the pack you will use on a thru hike? I just bought one the other day.

I am considering other options at this point. Vapor Trail or ULA catalyst being the other packs I'm looking at.

The Atmos is packed for a 4 or 5 day trip starting Monday on the Black Forest Trail, I will make a decision after the trip.

rafe
09-27-2008, 19:35
I've tried on an Osprey Atmos (at a local shop) and was intrigued by the suspension. It felt very comfortable. But in terms of carrying ability and its basic weight, it didn't seem that good a deal. Lots of zippers and compartments that don't accomplish much. By contrast, the Granite Gear packs aren't much to look at -- no frills whatsoever -- but they carry like a dream.

Joe8484
09-27-2008, 20:01
I've tried on an Osprey Atmos (at a local shop) and was intrigued by the suspension. It felt very comfortable. But in terms of carrying ability and its basic weight, it didn't seem that good a deal. Lots of zippers and compartments that don't accomplish much. By contrast, the Granite Gear packs aren't much to look at -- no frills whatsoever -- but they carry like a dream.

Agreed...At first that was my reasoning when I purchased the Atmos. I thought the extra pockets/organization was a benefit...now I feel this frustrating compulsion to use every pocket.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-27-2008, 21:26
I would go with the granite gear Vapor trail cant beat the comfort durability and weight I have used one for the past few years it will handle 35lbs but not much more also i would not bother with the top lid just my preference
hillbilly

Peaks
09-28-2008, 08:12
Can't comment on GG packs, but I do use the Osprey Atmos for multi-day trips and the Osprey Stratos for day hikes. Both have the mesh panel against your back.

To date, the only downside I've bound with the Atmos is that it doesn't carry a big load comfortably. I need to stay well within the suggested weight limit.

Yes, the suspension system does make it somewhat awkward to load, but it does work. And I'm generally satisfied with the pack, knowing its limitations.

KG4FAM
09-28-2008, 08:17
Agreed...At first that was my reasoning when I purchased the Atmos. I thought the extra pockets/organization was a benefit...now I feel this frustrating compulsion to use every pocket.I have been looking at buying the atmos and think that I would like the pockets. My pack that I have right now (Dana Design Bomb Pack) has the main bag, lid and a duck tail. I am tired of opening the main bag to get to almost everything.

Crazy_Al
09-28-2008, 16:38
What about the Osprey Ather rather than the Atmos??? I have used an Ather for a few years.

Phreak
09-28-2008, 16:41
I have not used the Osprey, but the Vapor Trail is my pack of choice these days. I used the Nimbus Ozone on the JMT, and it's now my second choice for when I need the additional cubic inches.

Tilly
09-28-2008, 17:29
This is just me...maybe I'm weird.

I bought a GG Vapor Trail in '05 and loaded it with no more than 20#. Took it on a 10 day hike. Absolutely, positively hated the $#!&*)*&%^%$#@ thing. It was the correct size for my spine, but I felt like it threw me off balance, it sat on my shoulders and made them hurt, in a way it was too big, ugh I just hated that pack and ebayed it later.

I got an Osprey Ariel. 100% better. I don't notice it's there. Nice hip belt. Carries like a dream, doesn't hurt my shoulders, doesn't throw me off balance, the back has airflow, seems pretty durable to me so far.

Weight penalty? 1#. Maybe too much for some people, but not hating my pack is worth the 1#.

This is the problem with asking people questions like this, because meanwhile, my SO has a GG that weighs 1# that is even more stripped down than the Vapor Trail, can't remember the name. But he loves his pack and has been carrying it for years.

So what works for some doesn't work for others. But I love my Osprey.

Tilly
09-28-2008, 17:32
in a way it was too big.

Just to clarify, the VOLUME was too much, not the size.

Peaks
09-29-2008, 08:10
What about the Osprey Ather rather than the Atmos??? I have used an Ather for a few years.

Nothing wrong with the Ather. It's just a different model. Usually larger and heavier than the Atmos model.

If the Atmos doesn't feel right with your gear, food, and water, and you need a larger pack, or are carrying more weight that the Atmos can comfortably carry, then by all means, check out the Ather model.

Cuffs
09-29-2008, 08:31
I own the Atmos 50 and love it for week long warm weather hiking. Got the 65 for cold-weather hikes just because of the additional volume. The 65 is great, but the lesson I learned was that I needed to keep my pack weight down, I do not like carrying heavier loads, so I just recently sold the 65 (like 2 days ago!)
As for pockets... I love them. It keeps me organized. If I need something in the middle of the night, I know exactly where it is, no need to turn on a blinding headlamp... If it starts to rain, I know precisely where my coat and pack cover are. Need to tend a hot spot on my foot? I know just where to go for my 1st aid kit.
On the mesh panel. You said "front" of the pack. Did you mean the mesh panel that will be against your back,(this is the back of the pack) or the mesh pocket on the outside of the pack? (this is the front of the pack.)
If you are talking about the mesh pocket... yes, it can fail. This is a heat-welded seam. I do not know why, by my just came undone one day... I called Osprey, paid the $7 to send it to them, they looked at it, said they could not repair it... then asked me where I would like my new pack sent too... Yup, they sent me an entire new pack!
Upgrades on yearly models... over the last few years, only minor modification have been made. The colors are the same, but the color blocks have changed... what was red on one year, is now grey... but unless you hold them together, you'd never know.

On GG packs. I do not own one. I find them ok, but not god for heavier loads. One place for everything. *I* cant work with that, I need a little more organization.

On ULA packs... I was set to buy one this weekend, even went to Mountain Crossings in hopes of buying... The pack is great, the hip belt is perfect, the shoulder harness does not quite sit right on me.

Im still looking for a lighter pack with a larger volume that rides nicely. Heading to local outfitter this after noon to try on the new Gregory Z65, 3#8oz.

mikec
09-29-2008, 09:42
I bought an Osprey Atmos 65 large earlier this year and have used it on a few weekend backpacking trips. I like the fact that it will hold a water bladder (either inside the pack or within the rear mesh air vent) and/or 2 water bottles. It is very comfortable and will hold a fair amount of gear. I don't know if it would be big enough for me on a thru hike, though I did see a female thru hiker with one last year. A friend of mine also has this pack and the material used around the shoulder straps and hip belt has started to fray and tear slightly after a year. Other than that, he likes his as well.

skinewmexico
10-01-2008, 11:07
I'd wait on the new Osprey Exos 58.

taildragger
10-01-2008, 11:13
On Osprey's, I don't like the compression strap locations since on some models (maybe all) they go over the water bottle holster.

Out of those to, I'd look a the GG.

I went through a similar downisizing recently, I decided that it was better to go with the ULA catalyst based off of reviews. Haven't had to load it up, but its always been comfortable with my weights (base weight is ~10 to sub 10 for 3 season)

PJ 2005
10-01-2008, 18:25
This is just me...maybe I'm weird.

I bought a GG Vapor Trail in '05 and loaded it with no more than 20#. Took it on a 10 day hike. Absolutely, positively hated the $#!&*)*&%^%$#@ thing. It was the correct size for my spine, but I felt like it threw me off balance, it sat on my shoulders and made them hurt, in a way it was too big, ugh I just hated that pack and ebayed it later.

Not sure if it would make that much of a difference... but the Vapor Trail is only kinda/sorta designed with women in mind. The Vapor Ki may have been easier on you. FWIW

take-a-knee
10-01-2008, 18:42
Not sure if it would make that much of a difference... but the Vapor Trail is only kinda/sorta designed with women in mind. The Vapor Ki may have been easier on you. FWIW

My daughter LOVES her Vapor Ki, 30# is no problem.

Jah
10-01-2008, 19:02
I'd wait on the new Osprey Exos 58.

Thanks for the heads up. It will be about the same weight as the Vapor.

mark schofield
10-05-2008, 11:33
I used an Atmos 65 recently on a 13 day hike on the LT. Started with 35 pounds. After a few days, I put the hydration pack on the outside back behind the mesh. I also put my heavier stuff (food, stove, fuel) in the sleeping bag compartment. This helped alto with the weight distribution. I got it to almost balance with the shoulder straps unattached. My next trip I'll get some longer tubular stuff sacks to make packing easier. I found the interior hydration sleeve convenient for miscellaneous stuff. The problem with compression straps and water bottles is valid. I tried a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone along with the Atmos. Loaded them both up with my stuff and for me, the granite gear didn't seem to fit/ride too well after walking around for 1/2 hour. Too bad, cause that's what I originally was looking for. It took me a week or so to finally get my packing and resulting balance to a comfortable spot after walking for 5 hours.

buz
10-06-2008, 08:37
Early this year, I tried an Atmos 65 on vs. an Aether model. For whatever reason, loaded up, the Atmos just didn't work compared to the Aether. It seemed a lot more uncomfortable than the Aether. I ended up with the Aether, and like it. Pack fitting is like sleeping bags, you have to like how they fit. Difficult to do, but worth the effort. If you have an REI within resosnable distance, have them get in what packs you want to try, load them up, walk around store. Plan on a long time in store to get it right. Results will likely be worth it. Or pay postage to your home, try them out, send back if not right.

Yukon
10-06-2008, 08:52
My girlfriend just brought her Atmos 65 back and got a Gregory Deva 60, much happier with it.

drastic_quench
10-06-2008, 10:05
I have an Atmos 65, and I like it. I bought mine new on Ebay for 140 including shipping. I can fit my water bottles in the side pouches, but I mostly drink from a camelbak bladder anyhow. My two man tent (Clip Flashlight (UltraFlash) takes up too much room on the inside of the bag owing to the curved backplate, but it straps to the outside of the pack just fine. I've found that items that pack short and squatty work better than trying to pack long tubular items in this pack.

I looked at the GGs at an REI. I don't like the one compartment/duffel bag approach. I need my band aids, sunscreen, lip balm, raincoat, pipe tobacco, matches, compass, maps, dry socks, water filter, and snacks now! - so I like accessable compartments.

Joe8484
10-10-2008, 18:52
I talked to an Osprey rep today about the Exos, she said it will be available for sale early January.

Jah
10-10-2008, 21:23
Great news! That's what i've decided to go with.