PDA

View Full Version : Is there plenty of water in GSMNP right now

valleyfire
09-28-2008, 09:16
I am leaving on thursday to hike thru GSMNP and just wanted to make sure that there is going to be plenty of water at the shelters on the AT
Thanks valleyfire

Hikes in Rain
09-28-2008, 09:51
My info dates back to the last of May, so it's likely a little out of date, but all the usual sources north of Newfound Gap were flowing nicely then.

greentick
09-28-2008, 09:57
I am leaving on thursday to hike thru GSMNP and just wanted to make sure that there is going to be plenty of water at the shelters on the AT
Thanks valleyfire

Here is a link to the GSMNP page that shows the water situation. Looks like some shelters are closed as well.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

water stuff is at the bottom of the page

rootball
09-29-2008, 17:54
When the water is gone at Mollies there is a spring roughly a mile before the shelter on the left - before the shelter going Nobo. What you will see is a little 'rest' type area on the right side of the trail. There is a rock that is busted in half - if you put the two pieces of rock together the word 'water' is scratched on it with charcoal. A small trail heads down the hill (heading roughly North). Down there is a white pipe and the spring. Even last year when there was no water at Mollies or the next two shelters, there was water at that spring.
Last year I was south bound on that section and passed a really old man. He had tanked up at Mollies and told me that he had to go 'way down' the spring to get it. I thought to myself ''this dude looks pretty old, if he can do find I am sure I can''. WRONG! I underestimated that grissly old man. I went down that spring until I thought I was never gonna find my way back out. That must have been one tough old guy, 'cause I never did find it.
Have fun. Hang your food. Make some noise.

smokymtnsteve
09-29-2008, 18:23
mollies is infamous for having a dry/erratic spring,