PDA

View Full Version : Heels wearer turned hiker

MommaJ
09-28-2008, 09:29
After 30 years of wearing heels, I now have 2 bunions, one worse than the other. Any ladies out there have the same problem and if so, what have you found that works, if anything? :eek:

Toolshed
09-28-2008, 12:25

boarstone
09-28-2008, 13:55
After 30 years of wearing heels, I now have 2 bunions, one worse than the other. Any ladies out there have the same problem and if so, what have you found that works, if anything? :eek:

Try wider shoes, maybe mens? Works for me...I hear ya':rolleyes:

Safety Pins
09-28-2008, 17:07
Definitely boots or trail shoes with a wider toe-box is an answer. I have one bunion and to relieve the pressure (and thus the pain), this summer I used my jack-knife to start a hole in my boot at the site of the bunion and used a large pair of sharp scissors to make small cuts around it. The resulting small hole in the boot wasn't really pretty but it helped a lot.

Blissful
09-28-2008, 21:37
Trail runners might help.

BumpJumper
09-29-2008, 20:31
Did I miss something or is this a LADIES forum????:-?

Bliss, you took the words out of my mouth. Let us know what you find that works.;)

sarbar
09-30-2008, 16:13
It would be well worth the money spent to visit a good foot Dr :) When I was out of high school and in college I wore heels daily as I was also required to wear a skirt at my job. I had painful feet by 22! In my mid 20's I got a bunch of stuff corrected with my feet. It took awhile but was worth the expense to have good feeling feet!
The sad thing is now if I have to wear heels my feet are so used to good fitting shoes they hurt so bad after 30 minutes in them. I save them for weddings :D

I think what was most painful was my little toes had wrapped under from wearing pointy toed heels. Owowow! Now they look normal!

Mother's Finest
09-30-2008, 16:52
I work with problem feet everyday. though I have not seen your feet, I am able to generalize based upon your description.

it is virtually a guarantee that your feet do not support your body in a bio-mechanically correct way. Improper bio-mechanics = odd shapes over time. while your high heels havve not helped things, they are only part of the problem.

You need better arch support. you also would do well to be fitted properly, you need to accomodate those bunions. some european boots will be made with a more oblique toe-box.

the only way to get rid of those bunions is to knock/saw/chop/grind them off. none of which is fun and none of which is a fun recovery. also, your surgeon may not tell you this, but you may experience loss of range of motion, or new types of pain in different areas of your feet. Some bunion surgeries are severe.

your best bet is to accomodate them and support your feet in the best way possibel.

any questions feel free to pm

peace
mf

sandykayak
09-30-2008, 18:01
Surgery. I finally did it last year. I am petrified about squeezing my feet again so it's mostly sandals (I live in Miami, FL), plus I have flat feet...so finding closed shoes with a wide toe box ain't easy. My trail runners (at least that's what I think they are!) were fine for a while, but then they started hurting over the side toes...also my soft High Techs. It's been over a year...but I'm so glad I did it. But I still have ingrown toenails!!

Mother's Finest
10-02-2008, 21:43
Surgery. I finally did it last year. I am petrified about squeezing my feet again so it's mostly sandals (I live in Miami, FL), plus I have flat feet...so finding closed shoes with a wide toe box ain't easy. My trail runners (at least that's what I think they are!) were fine for a while, but then they started hurting over the side toes...also my soft High Techs. It's been over a year...but I'm so glad I did it. But I still have ingrown toenails!!

you say you have flat feet. did your doctor put you in custom orthotics? if they did not, you need them.

if you do not take care of the cause, the bunions can return.

peace
mf