PDA

View Full Version : How sturdy are the platypus bag?

Stir Fry
09-28-2008, 16:30
No one local to me has one without a 30-mile drive. I would like to see what white blazers think.

rafe
09-28-2008, 16:34
Sturdier than they look. I've had no problems with mine, knock wood.

Phreak
09-28-2008, 16:39
I've used 3 and all of 'em have split on me during hikes. I stick with Camelbak now.

Jack Tarlin
09-28-2008, 16:43
A few years ago they had so many leakage problems that every decent outfitter on the Trail was stockpiled with free company supplied replacements.

And as for sturdiness, Platypus bags are swell. Until you drop them.

Then they explode.

If you're talking about using smaller bags, you might be better off just using soda or Gatorade bottles, which can be periodically replaced. And if you're looking at larger waterbags, check out the ones made by MSR. I've been using mine for over ten years and it's as good as new.

Jim Adams
09-28-2008, 16:48
I've had 2 of them leak around the needle holes on the sewing

geek

Stir Fry
09-28-2008, 16:48
Looking to reduce weight, and 6 oz 2 L is the wrong direction for me. Any way to make them lighter?

Phreak
09-28-2008, 16:54
Looking to reduce weight, and 6 oz 2 L is the wrong direction for me. Any way to make them lighter?
Not really. I'd go with what works and cut weight somewhere else.

Egads
09-28-2008, 17:43
I've had 2 failures w/ Platys. They have changed the composition of their bags to a much softer material. Tubes are different now too.

take-a-knee
09-28-2008, 17:46
A few years ago they had so many leakage problems that every decent outfitter on the Trail was stockpiled with free company supplied replacements.

And as for sturdiness, Platypus bags are swell. Until you drop them.

Then they explode.

If you're talking about using smaller bags, you might be better off just using soda or Gatorade bottles, which can be periodically replaced. And if you're looking at larger waterbags, check out the ones made by MSR. I've been using mine for over ten years and it's as good as new.

Can't argue with the utility of a gatorade bottle, I like the 24oz twist tops. Regardless what bladder you choose, you should have at least one gatorade bottle anyway. I like my platypus bags, but I haven't used them as much as many here have. I have used the older MSR bladders and they are about indestructible, they have a lighter version now called the Drom-Lite.

dessertrat
09-28-2008, 19:27
Most of the weight of a platy is in the tube, it seems to me. I notice that you can put a regular small (pepsi) bottle cap on them and use them without the tube.

I am glad to hear some negatives on the platy, I just got a 2L platy (to replace my outdoor products 2L bladder, which has been reliable but is far heavier), and now I will know to have at least some sort of substantial backup along on trips far from resupply. A 1 liter soda bottle weighs almost nothing.

camojack
09-29-2008, 01:10
The only trouble I've had with my 3 liter Playtpus is leakage from the cap/tube connection, so I have to be careful with that.

That being said, so long as I make sure that the cap is on securely, it has never failed me...yet.

The problem is that it's very easy to over tighten the cap, which makes it leak...

George
09-29-2008, 04:53
I broke a few platypus caps till I learned not to over-tighten. My msr dromedary grew nasties when I did not get it clean/dry and could not see in it. Now I use 20 or 32 oz gatoraide bottles and change them out in town, family dollar is a common place for half of the gas station price

mtnkngxt
09-29-2008, 07:44
Have platy loves to leak around the tube neck. Kicking it to the curb for a MSR drom bag in the next few weeks. I still carry 1 sigg bottle with me any time I go out just in case, it also protects my epipen and keeps it shaded

Homer&Marje
09-29-2008, 07:58
I have a camelback 70 oz. Been thinking about replacing it, it's 12 years old approx. and has no problems until recently. Right around the fill hole where I "Pull" it apart to fill it, a small hole has formed along the rubber seal. It is at the top though, so it doesn't leak unless gravity takes over, and that means I am upside down:-?

I was thinking about replacing it with a 100 oz platy, after this thread I don't know though. Might just put some glue on it. Forget what kind of glue it is but it basically melts whatever you put it on and then reforms it binding it with the glue... will see if it works, or if it's toxic:eek:

Just Jeff
09-29-2008, 08:09
I've had one platy leak where the hard plastic meets the soft plastic, and all of my CamelBaks leaked eventually where the tube connects to the hard plastic nipple. My Nalgene soft-sided cantees have not leaked yet and are a couple years old. They're a bit heavier b/c I got the ones with the wide mouth, just like the bottles. Easier to fill and no need for a zipper, so I can sleep with them (pillow, keep water from freezing, hot water bottle on cold nights, etc) without worrying about a leak inside my bag.

Lyle
09-29-2008, 08:57
Been using Platys for a few years now. I've never had one leak, but a thru I hiked with in PA had one that developed a small leak around the neck. Not a catastrophic leak, just had to not fill it entirely and keep it upright. I traded him out for one of my Platys and I finished out my section with his leaky one. Not a major problem, I used it just as an extra for camp water.

I'm happy with them, cheap and light. Take up very little space when empty - the biggest drawback to any type of bottle.

jhick
09-29-2008, 09:19
I've had both a Camelback and a Platypus. I only stopped using the Platy cuz I wanted something bigger. Never had a leak with either.... except the time the lid was a little loose. One of the reasons I love my Atmos 65 is that I can carry the bag inside the mesh area behind your back, so no leaks inside the pack.

the goat
09-29-2008, 10:00
never had a leak in my platy bag, but the bite valve popped off once while i was walking. i lost half my water & that valve is probably still somewhere in that massachusetts field.

bigcranky
09-29-2008, 12:42
Platypus bottles are nice, but you should carry a few of the little Platy Patches if you can find them. They will repair a small gash even with water pouring out of it.

Like others, I gave up on the Platy Hoser when it came apart one too many times. (Inside my pack on a winter hike. Not good.) I went back to soda or gatorade bottles. I do still carry a Nalgene Cantene when I want the wide mouth.

Blissful
09-29-2008, 14:17
My bottle is now leaking at the top after hiking with it last year. No holes, just leaking. Discovered it on a hike a few weeks back. I'll likely ask Playtpus about that and see what they say as it cannot be fixed by me, so it might be an issue for them.

khanti
10-02-2008, 20:21
Have not had one leak on me yet, but after hearing of other folks having issues started carrying a couple of patches in my first aid kit.

Did have the bit-valve pop off on me once, caught on my watch as I was taking my hat off on a spring hike, next thing I knew I had half a liter of water IN my hat. doh! popped right back on though. They make them that way so they're replaceable.

Blissful
10-02-2008, 20:32
Did have the bit-valve pop off on me once, caught on my watch as I was taking my hat off on a spring hike, next thing I knew I had half a liter of water IN my hat. doh! popped right back on though. They make them that way so they're replaceable.

That's why I put a cut-off switch on mine that Camelback makes so if that happened I wouldn't lose all my water. But then you need to buy the camelback bite valve to fit it as the playtpus bite valve falls off too easily.

Lellers
10-02-2008, 20:40
I've had a couple of platys for a few years and never had a leak. But, I don't thru hike either. At the most, I'm out for a week. I like having a hose to sip from while I walk. I use a Katadyn HikerPro filter with in-line hose connections. I snap right into the line from the outside of my pack and fill the platy without removing it or fooling with the cap.

rafe
10-02-2008, 20:44
I've had a couple of platys for a few years and never had a leak. But, I don't thru hike either. At the most, I'm out for a week. I like having a hose to sip from while I walk. I use a Katadyn HikerPro filter with in-line hose connections. I snap right into the line from the outside of my pack and fill the platy without removing it or fooling with the cap.

Yup. Platy plus a Katadyn Hiker work well together. Down side is that you still need to open up the pack to see how much water's in the bladder -- though you can sort of wing it and guess most of the time.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2008, 23:59
Can't argue with the utility of a gatorade bottle, I like the 24oz twist tops. Regardless what bladder you choose, you should have at least one gatorade bottle anyway. I like my platypus bags, but I haven't used them as much as many here have. I have used the older MSR bladders and they are about indestructible, they have a lighter version now called the Drom-Lite.

No Argument there ... Damn good advice.

Dogwood
10-03-2008, 01:31
Last 2.5 L Platy lasted 3500 trail miles. BUT, I don't abuse it, throw it around, or drop it. When not using it when hiking I store it folded up in a protected place. U have to understand that it is a piece of UL gear and may not be the most durable for everyone. Wish all my gear lasted that long! Got it replaced free at the local gear store.

Lellers
10-03-2008, 08:14
Yup. Platy plus a Katadyn Hiker work well together. Down side is that you still need to open up the pack to see how much water's in the bladder -- though you can sort of wing it and guess most of the time.

I just slide my hand right into the top of my pack and feel the platy for fullness. It's not inconvenient.

rasudduth
10-03-2008, 13:28
So sturdy it can double as a mouse swimming pool/death trap.
http://flickr.com/photos/rasudduth/1234371509/in/photostream/
http://flickr.com/photos/rasudduth/1234371967/in/photostream/

Dogwood
10-05-2008, 02:09
Got over 3600 trail miles on my last 2.5 L Platypus. Wish all my gear lasted that long. But, I didn't abuse, drop, or mishandle it either. When I'm not using it while hiking I store it folded up in a safe place in my pack. Did have one where the seal ripped near the collar. It was replaced free by a gear store in Mt.Shasta CA. I also don't use the Platy with the hose either so some of the problems experienced by others I have not observed. Like all UL gear U have to realize its limitations and possibly be prepared to sacrifice some durability or at least give it plenty of TLC. If U R particularly tough on gear this may not be the best piece of gear for U. Try a bicycle, Dasani, or Arizona Tea no BPA bottle. These type of water bottles R cheaper and often weigh close to the same as the Platy. I do like the compressability and wt. of the Platy though.