PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Pads and Pillows

MDhiker1967
09-28-2008, 17:51
What are thoughts on these pads .... we currently have Thermarest Trail Lite large pads and Therm a rest compressible pillows...We are thinking of going to Big Agnes for weight and space savings.. thanks for your input...

Gladiator
09-28-2008, 18:34
You can't go wrong with a BA pad. I use the insulated air core. If given only one word to describe it, my description would be comfortable.

Mrs Baggins
09-28-2008, 18:56
I have both the "insulated" air core and the BA Clearview. For me the "insulated" mat was still just a big block of ice under me in cold weather - and I mean anything under 50 degrees. I always used a Z Lite pad on the top of it for real insulation. The Clearview is far lighter and cheaper. I'm just as comfy on it and I still use my Z Lite pad to keep it insulated. I'd rather carry the two pads than ever go back to a self-inflating or any other kind of thin pad.

MDhiker1967
09-28-2008, 19:11
I have both the "insulated" air core and the BA Clearview. For me the "insulated" mat was still just a big block of ice under me in cold weather - and I mean anything under 50 degrees. I always used a Z Lite pad on the top of it for real insulation. The Clearview is far lighter and cheaper. I'm just as comfy on it and I still use my Z Lite pad to keep it insulated. I'd rather carry the two pads than ever go back to a self-inflating or any other kind of thin pad.

So is the BA Clearview as good as the insulated aircore?

dessertrat
09-28-2008, 19:20
I have the plain old uninsulated BA pad and the horse thief bag (just bought them), which I plan to use along with a blue foam pad in cooler weather. I have not field tested it yet for cold weather, but I can tell you that the whole rig, on my living room floor, is super comfortable. I am tired of waking up creaky, and so we'll see if this setup leads to better rest.

(I have been using, until now, a plain old sleeping bag and blue foam pad setup, no thermarest. Almost anything would be more comfortable in comparison, I realize).

MDhiker1967
09-28-2008, 19:23
I have the plain old uninsulated BA pad and the horse thief bag (just bought them), which I plan to use along with a blue foam pad in cooler weather. I have not field tested it yet for cold weather, but I can tell you that the whole rig, on my living room floor, is super comfortable. I am tired of waking up creaky, and so we'll see if this setup leads to better rest.

(I have been using, until now, a plain old sleeping bag and blue foam pad setup, no thermarest. Almost anything would be more comfortable in comparison, I realize).

We have slept on the Therm A Rest twice now and have been a little stiff in the morning.......

Cabin Fever
09-28-2008, 19:26
Isn't this about the tenth thread on this subject?

Ziggy Trek
09-28-2008, 19:30
I use the BA insulated air core exclusively on the trail. I find it actually gets even more comfortable if I let out about 25% of the air.
My Therm-A-Rest is now for quick naps in my office.

MDhiker1967
09-28-2008, 19:30

Sorry for the repeat ......... :eek:

mtnkngxt
09-28-2008, 19:58
You have to excuse some of our friends they get nippy when they can't hike.

Blissful
09-28-2008, 22:11
Used the BA insulated air core the entire hike last year, liked it very much (though there can be leakage issues which BA is good aobut replacing). I also use the cocoon pillows from campmor - they work nicely and compress well inside a pack. A folded up jacket just doesn't cut it for me as a pillow.

Nicksaari
09-28-2008, 22:15
the time it takes to inflate and deflate, even with your own special methods, is worth every second spent on the BA. my only discrepancy is the obnoxious noise made while shifting or moving, annoying to fellow shelter users, but their snoring is equally irritating to me. so i guess it all works out. i use a cheap blue 1/8th in thick closed cell pad along with the BA, works great, very light.
i figure i need to invest in a down BA bag, so that i can implement the pad..\.

Blissful
09-28-2008, 22:16

Instead of posting a comment like this, you can always provide the link to the thread for the poster, esp if they are new to WB- makes a lot more sense and is much more helpful.

Blissful
09-28-2008, 22:20
Sorry for the repeat ......... :eek:

Glad you are here and asking questions. Another thing you can always do as well is use the search function to check on threads of topics that interest you.

Summit
09-28-2008, 22:21
I am using the BA Dual Core pad, the heaviest of their line of inflatable pads, but with a 0* rating, they are worth it in cold weather.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=5

It is so well insulated, that most of the time I sleep with my 20* bag fully unzipped and just draped over me - much more comfortable - don't like that 'mummy' feeling very much. In nothing more than a T-shirt, I feel zero cold coming through the bottom and as others have said, in one word, they are comfortable beyond compare to ThermaRest (and similar) self-inflating pads. I used one of those for 30+ years and age has driven me to the BA mattress - what a relief! :)

MDhiker1967
09-28-2008, 22:41
Glad you are here and asking questions. Another thing you can always do as well is use the search function to check on threads of topics that interest you.

Thanks .. for the help..
:D

Cabin Fever
09-28-2008, 22:52
Apologies.

I have only noticed the redundancy of this subject since I have a BA pad and have responded to this question several times.

Happy trails.

Newb
09-29-2008, 08:28

I have the inflateable BA insulated air core. I find if I turn it over it acts like a heat-sink. Make sure you keep the correct side up in cold weather.

Wags
10-01-2008, 00:28
i have it and like it. i never used thermarest so i can't compare it. i can only compare it to sleeping on a blue foam pad and let me tell you it's not even close...

it does slide a bit in your tent if you're set up on a slight slope. some people put seam sealer on their pads to try to prevent this, but i chose not to b/c i don't wanna put the lifetime warranty at risk. i usually put my empty pack or some clothes beside (downhill) my pad to keep me from waking up spooning the side of my tent.

upon recommendation from others here, i carry a small (20"x24") piece of blue foam pad that i use for a multitude of things (mainly a sit pad while eating/relaxing and as a core body insulator when it gets cold). i just put the blue foam right where my stomach and chest are on my BA. my legs don't get cold unless my core is cold, so it's worked for me that way and haven't had the need to carry the full length foam pad. (i don't overnight in winter though so...). i also find that even putting down a fleece or wearing my insulating jacket to bed usually does the trick for me as far as cold is concerned.

like newb said, make sure the black side is down and brown is up. otherwise the primaloft will compress flat instead of hang down and give 0 insulation

you can side sleep on this and not wake up w/ broken hips/neck/back

Tinker
10-01-2008, 01:51
In cooler weather or when hiking with someone else who doesn't hammock I'll take a tent and my Big Agnes non-insulated pad with a blue foam to throw on top. When it's warm, I'll put the blue foam underneath to protect the BA pad from punctures, when it's cold, I'll put it on top. Either way, it's the best sleep I get without a hammock. My Stephenson Warmlite pad was nice, too, but I sold it with the sleeping bag last year. They are still available from Warmlite and are insulated with 800 fill goose down.

Deadeye
10-01-2008, 09:13
This ain't gonna help much, other than to affirm that there's a crowd of us doing the same thing. I use the insulated air cor shorty mummy, and a 6-section peice of z-rest. the z-rest is for sitting, pad protection (under the BA) and for emergency use should the BA ever leak in the middle of the night. Works great, and never had issues with cold or leaking with my BA.

jhick
10-01-2008, 10:15
I have the inflateable BA insulated air core. I find if I turn it over it acts like a heat-sink. Make sure you keep the correct side up in cold weather.

hmm... I didn't know that.

I find my BA pad as comfortable as my bed, love it!

scope
10-01-2008, 11:15
So is the BA Clearview as good as the insulated aircore?

If you're also taking a foam pad as others have suggested, then probably the clearview is just as good. I guess the benefit of the insulated air core is that you can do without the bulk of a foam pad.

Just got back from a trip where I used my recently purchased IAC pad down to 30 degrees without getting cold, but I will admit to feeling the air in the pad getting cooler as temps dropped in the wee hours before dawn. I'm sure the insulation in my air core is what allowed me to stay comfortable. I'll probably take an additional foam pad for temps below freezing, but otherwise its nice not to have that extra bulk.

Summit
10-01-2008, 16:55
As you can see, the warmer the pad, the heavier and more costly! Dial your warmth requirement and show the cashier 'what's in your wallet?' :)

Pad________________Temp Rating________Weight oz. (20x72)_____List Price
Clearview Air Pad________ 35 _________________ 15 ____________ $42.95
Air Core________________ 35 _________________ 22 ____________ $49.95
Insulated Air Core________ 15 _________________ 24 ____________ $69.95
Diversion Recycled
Insulated Air Core ________ 15 ________________ 26 ____________ $89.95
Dual Core _______________ 0 _________________ 38 ____________ $99.95